Metal and Skin Irritation

m2011 m2011
Good morning all,

Fairly new Dom here. (New to bondage at least--I've been a spanker for a while.) I just bought a pair of Jaguar cuffs on sale, and was going to head to the hardware store to get a few padlocks and a few different lengths of chain to go along.

Assuming the sub has no allergies, are there any concerns regarding the type of chain used? Are there any types of metal commonly used that will irritate skin with prolonged contact? I want to make sure any fun is 100% safe.

Apologies if this is something that is easily Googleable--I wasn't able to find a clear answer.
04/17/2013
  • Weekly BOGO: Accessorize for Pleasure! Buy 1 Vibrator And Ge
  • Try a luxury harness with a dildo and save 45% on a kit!
  • Better Price - Save 40%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 50%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 60%
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
El-Jaro El-Jaro
It's usually Nickel, Copper, and Aluminum that cause skin irritation. Steel and Stainless steel would be ideal.
04/17/2013
charletnarouh charletnarouh
i have an allergy to nickel and chrome which are very commonly used. For me, the biggest problem is the rivets in my collars and cuffs. Wwe have covered these with moleskin which largely alleviates the problem. The buckle and D-ring still brush my skin a little but i paint them with clear nail polish which helps and my allergy is minimal and usually only becomes a problem after prolonged wear and is only a mild irritation even at that. i only wear my leather collar and cuffs during play. (my day collar is worn 24/7 but it is sterling silver expressly for this reason.) Wwe typically use rope instead of chain so that usually isn't an issue, however, chain attached to my cuffs or collar wouldn't be in contact with my skin much in the way Wwe would use it so this isn't much of a concern anyway.
Unless your bottom has a sensitivity though, this shouldn't be an issue. If you are concerned, you can simply spot test the metal on their skin for 20 minutes or so and see if they have a reaction while not playing or otherwise distracting and have benedryl on hand if you want to be super safe. Most metal allergies are not severe and usually take some time to become bothersome so it's highly unlikely for someone to have a previously undiscovered allergy to a common metal that would cause them to go into anaphylactic shock immediately upon touching it or some similarly severe reaction. Some metal blends won't begin to irritate me until i've been in contact with it for several hours. And my reaction goes away almost immediately upon removing the metal and washing with soap and water.
04/18/2013
Total posts: 3
Unique posters: 3