Length of rope?

  • Get a Free Rabbit Vibe with Orders $59+

Length of rope?

DreamWolf DreamWolf
What do you think the minimum length of rope should be to do shibari art with all its beauty seen everywhere?
01/01/2012
  • Buy 3 Items for $70
  • Buy 3 Items for $50
  • Buy 3 Items for $30
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Add Some Buzz To Your Favourite Toy & Save 60% On Kit
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Ghost Ghost
A good length to work with is about 30-35 feet, depending on your size. I always keep multiples of 30-35 feet on hand (because the more complex the design, or the larger the person, the more rope you will need). Anything longer tends to be difficult to work with, and the 30 foot lengths can be tied together if needed. If you get a book or instructions that tell you "how much rope you'll need" for a certain design, be sure to take your size into consideration. Most instructions are made with small people in mind (often small women) and larger people (myself included) will need sometimes double or more the amount of rope.
01/02/2012
DreamWolf DreamWolf
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghost
A good length to work with is about 30-35 feet, depending on your size. I always keep multiples of 30-35 feet on hand (because the more complex the design, or the larger the person, the more rope you will need). Anything longer tends to be difficult ...
Oh I see, cause I have a pretty long one though but it is pretty much enough for a basic full body harness, and some extra left (don't ask how long, box is thrown away for years already, and I have never measured it... ), and you see those 200 ft long ropes here and there, always wondered who in the world needs one like that, but certainly people do, so maybe I should too cause it's essential...?
01/02/2012
K101 K101
No idea what that is, but I have the Japanese Silk rope and it's long enough to do just about any basic BDSM with. I doubt its really silk because that stuff is a lot higher in price, but I really enjoy it! Hope that was helpful in some way?
01/02/2012
DreamWolf DreamWolf
Quote:
Originally posted by K101
No idea what that is, but I have the Japanese Silk rope and it's long enough to do just about any basic BDSM with. I doubt its really silk because that stuff is a lot higher in price, but I really enjoy it! Hope that was helpful in some way?
Of course!

And if you google shibari you will find enchanting artwork!
01/03/2012
Pixel Pixel
25 to 30 ft work well for me. It's easy to add another length onto that, and at that length you are not feeding miles and miles of rope through for every knot.
01/03/2012
badk1tty badk1tty
Quote:
Originally posted by DreamWolf
What do you think the minimum length of rope should be to do shibari art with all its beauty seen everywhere?
I must be in the dark, I've never heard of shibari art
01/03/2012
Master DarkWolf Master DarkWolf
I always preferred to use longer ropes, but it really depends on what you use them for...
03/07/2012
Faeya Faeya
I'm a pretty big girl, so I have a 50' rope around for full-body harness tying, but for anything else (breast binding, wrist gauntlets, etc), I find 20' sufficient. I guess it mostly depends what you're using it for
03/08/2012
Loriandhubby Loriandhubby
I read that the standard for the classic style is 21 ft i belive. but it really depends on your body size and the size of the rope. All of this factors into what can be done with how much rope. I would recomend not using a rope that is longer than three fathumes of your arm. ( three times that you can pull the rope through with your arm extending all the way out for each pull. This is just a bit easier to manage and keep steady tension on.

This is all just my thoughts. I may not be right . I am very new this also
03/08/2012
Total posts: 10
Unique posters: 8