Day 10 : White Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
4 ounces white chocolate, melted
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
8 ounces frozen raspberries
1 tbsp water
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/3 cup cream cheese
3 to 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 vanilla bean, seeded, or 1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp soymilk
6 ounces white chocolate, melted
12 fresh raspberries
Additional white chocolate for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350* F. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add sugar and brown sugar and mix.
3. Slowly mix together melted chocolate and oil.
4. Whisk together soy milk, coconut milk, lemon zest, and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until relatively smooth.
5. Fill cupcake liners with a scant 1/4 cup of batter (should be just under 2/3 of the way full - err on the under-filled side here). Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden, and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
6. To make filling, combine frozen raspberries with water, sugar, and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until raspberries begin to break down.
7. Add 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixture and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, and strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve, pressing as much through as possible.
8. Return strained mixture to heat once again. Add another tablespoon of cornstarch mixture, and bring to a simmer. If mixture still seems thin, add more cornstarch as necessary. It will thicken more upon cooling. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
9. Cut out small cones from tops of cupcakes (holes should be approximately 1/2" across and 1/2" deep), saving removed cake. Trim the tip off the cones. Fill holes with raspberry filling, and replace cake on top.
1. Beat butter or margarine and cream cheese until fluffy.
2. Slowly add confectioner's sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until creamy.
3. Melt white chocolate as before, and mix in vanilla seeds, if using. Add to frosting and mix well.
4. Add extract (if using) and soy milk, and beat until fluffy (add more sugar and/or soymilk if you need it, until you get the right texture).
5. Generously pipe or spread onto filled cupcakes.
6. Garnish with fresh raspberries and/or some melted or chopped white chocolate.