#EdenCooks - SUSHI! - Monday Apr 15 at 8pm EST

Wicked Wahine Wicked Wahine
that creature is really cool!
04/15/2013
Lildrummrgurl7 Lildrummrgurl7
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova


You guys, I"m so sorry this meeting has gone so far beyond time! I'm sure half of you are in bed and the other half are eating dinner (or at least neck-deep in your school papers...

I'll be sure to stick around until 9 for ... More
Now I'm hungry! Ugh! I guess I should make dinner and get back to this 20 page research paper...
04/15/2013
Antipova Antipova
Awww, good night!
04/15/2013
XxFallenAngelxX XxFallenAngelxX
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova

And your inside-out roll is ready to slice!




That is just beautiful, lol.
04/15/2013
Wicked Wahine Wicked Wahine
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
Awww, good night!
anyone want to know about the mushroom kits?
04/15/2013
surreptitious surreptitious
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova


You guys, I"m so sorry this meeting has gone so far beyond time! I'm sure half of you are in bed and the other half are eating dinner (or at least neck-deep in your school papers...

I'll be sure to stick around until 9 for ... More
The cucumber cups really do make for adorable presentation.
04/15/2013
Antipova Antipova
Quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Wahine
anyone want to know about the mushroom kits?
Ooh, ooh, yes!
04/15/2013
XxFallenAngelxX XxFallenAngelxX
Quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Wahine
anyone want to know about the mushroom kits?
Sure!
04/15/2013
Melan!e Melan!e
Quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Wahine
anyone want to know about the mushroom kits?
Yes!!
04/15/2013
Wicked Wahine Wicked Wahine
I wanted to try growing mushrooms indoors & the BEST place to get anything mushroom is from Fungi Perfecti (fungi.com) out of Washington. Paul Stamets is the top mycologist in the world & he runs this business. They have prepared kits where all you have to add it water & they also have spores & all the equipment you need for anything. I have tried the kits that came from elsewhere & the ones from FP are so much higher yielding, (they have multiple flushes, plus, if you keep adding freash substrate, you can keep it going). They have several unusual strains of mushrooms in kits to grrow at room temp, plus they have outdoor spawn! They also sell endo & ecto mycorrhizal fungi for any plants you grow & boy does it make a difference in my organic garden!

I really like the Nameko & Pioppinomushroom kits!
04/15/2013
ZZ ZZ
I'm kind of in love with that thing. It's looks like a caterpillar that wants to be a dragon

And yes please - to the mushroom kits
04/15/2013
Antipova Antipova
XxFallenAgnelxS

surreptitious

FieryRed

Gold Lion

JordanB

all receive a gift card this month!

04/15/2013
FieryRed FieryRed
Okay, I love mushrooms and have no idea why the gills would be creepy. I've gotten some great tips on improving our sushi here, such as rinsing the rice well and adding the mirin. And I, too, love the cucumber wasabi cups! Fantastic photos throughout--I'll have to bookmark this thread for future reference.
04/15/2013
Antipova Antipova
Really awesome info, WickedWahine!

Do you dry some after you harvest, or do you eat them right away? Or pickle some? Seems like mushrooms are the kind of thing that all mature at the same time and then you're swamped with mushrooms.
04/15/2013
Melan!e Melan!e
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
XxFallenAgnelxS

surreptitious

FieryRed

Gold Lion

JordanB

all receive a gift card this month!

Congrats GC winners!!
And thanks Wicked Wahine for the info about the mushroom kits!
04/15/2013
Jordan B Jordan B
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
XxFallenAgnelxS

surreptitious

FieryRed

Gold Lion

JordanB

all receive a gift card this month!

Oh wow! Awesome! Thank you!
04/15/2013
Antipova Antipova
I'm sorry this meeting lasted so long, but it was a lot of fun for me! I hope you all got to learn a thing or two, even those who already make sushi. And for those who don't, I hope you feel ready to give it a first try
04/15/2013
XxFallenAngelxX XxFallenAngelxX
I can't wait to read through this with my best friend. She and I are going to sit down and make quite a few rolls one night, thanks to you. I honestly appreciate this more than you know. You covered everything that I wondered about. I'm so giddy right now!! I can't wait to make some sushi for my fiance and children!
04/15/2013
Wicked Wahine Wicked Wahine
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
Really awesome info, WickedWahine!

Do you dry some after you harvest, or do you eat them right away? Or pickle some? Seems like mushrooms are the kind of thing that all mature at the same time and then you're swamped with mushrooms. ... More
I usually eat them fresh because I'm a mushroom fiend, but I do use my Excalibur Food Dehydrator to dry some
04/15/2013
XxFallenAngelxX XxFallenAngelxX
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
I'm sorry this meeting lasted so long, but it was a lot of fun for me! I hope you all got to learn a thing or two, even those who already make sushi. And for those who don't, I hope you feel ready to give it a first try ... More
I'm actually glad it was long! I didn't miss out on hardly anything! Thank you, Thank You, Thank you, for making this happen!
04/15/2013
Antipova Antipova
Quote:
Originally posted by XxFallenAngelxX
I can't wait to read through this with my best friend. She and I are going to sit down and make quite a few rolls one night, thanks to you. I honestly appreciate this more than you know. You covered everything that I wondered about. I'm so ... More
Hooray!
04/15/2013
Antipova Antipova
(to keep this on the last page...)

You guys, I"m so sorry this meeting has gone so far beyond time! I'm sure half of you are in bed and the other half are eating dinner (or at least neck-deep in your school papers...

I'll be sure to stick around until 9 for questions, and check back in the thread all month to answer other questions that are had.


And now for straight-up food porn and question time!














04/15/2013
surreptitious surreptitious
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
XxFallenAgnelxS

surreptitious

FieryRed

Gold Lion

JordanB

all receive a gift card this month!

Thank you very much!

The mushroom growing sounds totally awesome, WW. I know who I want to hang out with when the zombie apocalypse rolls around. You and your garden can make sure that my tummy is tended to in the style to which it is accustomed!
04/15/2013
Wicked Wahine Wicked Wahine
Quote:
Originally posted by surreptitious
Thank you very much!

The mushroom growing sounds totally awesome, WW. I know who I want to hang out with when the zombie apocalypse rolls around. You and your garden can make sure that my tummy is tended to in the style to which it is accustomed!
You will keep me entertained so it will be a fair trade off!
04/15/2013
Jordan B Jordan B
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
I'm sorry this meeting lasted so long, but it was a lot of fun for me! I hope you all got to learn a thing or two, even those who already make sushi. And for those who don't, I hope you feel ready to give it a first try ... More
Thanks for the awesome tips. We will definitely try this next time we have enough courage to try sushi night again.
04/15/2013
Antipova Antipova


And be sure to come add pictures here yourself when you make sushi! I hope to see you next month, when we'll be making ribs (and maybe a Bloody Mary or a Tom Collins? Let me know your thoughts!) on the 20th of May, in the forum, at 8pm EST!
04/15/2013
surreptitious surreptitious
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
I'm sorry this meeting lasted so long, but it was a lot of fun for me! I hope you all got to learn a thing or two, even those who already make sushi. And for those who don't, I hope you feel ready to give it a first try ... More
I'm really excited to pickle my own ginger. Thank you very much for that and for the rest of the meeting!
04/15/2013
Melan!e Melan!e
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
I'm sorry this meeting lasted so long, but it was a lot of fun for me! I hope you all got to learn a thing or two, even those who already make sushi. And for those who don't, I hope you feel ready to give it a first try ... More
This was great! Now I know what kind of knife to go out and look for - a sharp one and I don't have to bother looking up the recipe I had tried out a couple years ago. This all looks so great.

I actually wanted to share one that I had tried and wasn't expecting to enjoy all that much but it turned out to be pretty good. I wrapped some of the sushi rice, with a little blob of peanut butter and a little piece of bacon in a wonton wrapper and... I'm pretty sure I deep fried them.
04/15/2013
Antipova Antipova
Quote:
Originally posted by Melan!e
This was great! Now I know what kind of knife to go out and look for - a sharp one and I don't have to bother looking up the recipe I had tried out a couple years ago. This all looks so great.

I actually wanted to share one that I had ... More
Oooooohhhhhhhh my goodness my friend with a deep fryer is getting a late-night visit. Like right now.
04/15/2013
Wicked Wahine Wicked Wahine
Thanks for all the hard work, again, Antipova!
04/15/2013
Total posts: 277
Unique posters: 32