#EdenCooks - Thursday, May 12th at 8pm EDT

Vaccinium Vaccinium
Welcome to the third ever meeting of Eden Cooks!

This club is for any members of the members of the Eden community who are interested in learning more about cooking. We will meet on the forum to discuss everything from tips and pointers for less well-equipped kitchens, explanations of confusing cooking terms and important techniques. There will be a featured recipe each meeting, with pictures taken as I prepare it for you.

A $25 gift card will be awarded during the meeting for the winner of a contest where you guess the lesser known kitchen implement from a series of photos that I take. And another will be given to the winner of a trivia contest.

This month’s recipe will be the classic Italian dish of gnocchi (potato dumplings) with a parma rosa sauce. The meeting will take place here on the forum at 8 pm EDT on Thursday, May 12th. I hope to see you here!

Although this month I (Vaccinium) will be hosting the meeting, Alys is Eden Cooks' hostess, and she is available through private messages on Eden, or through her email: alys (dot) alcyone (at) gmail (dot) com for questions as to techniques you want to see covered during the next meeting, or suggestions for recipes you would like to see made in a future meeting.
05/10/2011
  • It's Better Than Real! Buy 1 Dildo Or Anal Toy And Get 1 FRE
  • Try a luxury harness with a dildo and save 45% on a kit!
  • Better Price - Save 40%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 50%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 60%
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Jul!a Jul!a
I can't wait for the meeting!
05/10/2011
Antipova Antipova
Ooh, great! I've only made semolina gnocchi and plain flour gnocchi before, I'm looking forward to learning potato!
05/10/2011
ToyGurl ToyGurl
How fun! I wasn't even aware of this! I'm a wonderful cook and I would love to check this out!
05/10/2011
Localtweaker Localtweaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
Welcome to the third ever meeting of Eden Cooks!

This club is for any members of the members of the Eden community who are interested in learning more about cooking. We will meet on the forum to discuss everything from tips and pointers for ... More
vaccuum
05/10/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyGurl
How fun! I wasn't even aware of this! I'm a wonderful cook and I would love to check this out!
These meetings are a lot of fun, but there's another way to participate in the Eden Cooks Club as well, and that is the Iron Chef Eden Challenge.

Regardless of how you want to participate, we are greatly looking forward to you being a part of it!
05/10/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
ppp
05/11/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
Less than 48 hours!

*shameless bump*
05/11/2011
sexyintexas sexyintexas
Ooh never made it but I love to cook and with 3 teens and a rather large hubby, they love it when I cook too! Lol! *bump*
05/11/2011
Alys Alys
Ooh, I love this recipe for gnocchi! I made it as a gnocchi novice and was surprised how manageable it was... I had thought that they were much harder to make.

I can't wait for the recipe for the sauce, too!
05/11/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
Quote:
Originally posted by Alys
Ooh, I love this recipe for gnocchi! I made it as a gnocchi novice and was surprised how manageable it was... I had thought that they were much harder to make.

I can't wait for the recipe for the sauce, too!
We had it for dinner last night, and it was indeed yummy.

By the way, considering the ridiculous amount of time it is taking me to put together this meeting, I now have quite the appreciation for the amount of work you put into each month. I hope everyone appreciates the amount of time and effort Alys puts into this club.
05/11/2011
Miss Voluptuous Miss Voluptuous
Wish I could make it.

I'm working during that time.
05/11/2011
wetone123 wetone123
I will try my very best to be there. I love gnocchi, and make gnocchi soup regularly in winter. Can't wait to try it with sauce!
05/11/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
Quote:
Originally posted by wetone123
I will try my very best to be there. I love gnocchi, and make gnocchi soup regularly in winter. Can't wait to try it with sauce!
I make spaetzle soup on occasion during winter. Spaetzle isn't too different from gnocchi, so our soups may be similar.
05/11/2011
Antipova Antipova
My only gripe with gnocchi seems to be that unless you clean the pot *immediately*, it's really really hard to scrub. I wonder if making it as a soup would help that any?
05/11/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
My only gripe with gnocchi seems to be that unless you clean the pot *immediately*, it's really really hard to scrub. I wonder if making it as a soup would help that any?
Yeah, that can be a pain. I usually let the pot soak for a few hours before scrubbing it. It's damned near impossible to get off the scum that accumulates at the waterline otherwise.
05/11/2011
wetone123 wetone123
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
I make spaetzle soup on occasion during winter. Spaetzle isn't too different from gnocchi, so our soups may be similar.
What I make has a chicken based broth with carrots, spinach, onions, garlic, etc. I add the gnocchi last after everything else is tender.
05/11/2011
wetone123 wetone123
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
My only gripe with gnocchi seems to be that unless you clean the pot *immediately*, it's really really hard to scrub. I wonder if making it as a soup would help that any?
With dishes that stick, I find that if you soak the pan in hot water and soap for a while before you wash it, it is much easier to clean.
05/11/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
Quote:
Originally posted by wetone123
What I make has a chicken based broth with carrots, spinach, onions, garlic, etc. I add the gnocchi last after everything else is tender.
Yup, pretty similar to mine. Spaetzle can hold up to cooking better than gnocchi, though.

I also make a ham and bean soup into which I put spaetzle.
05/11/2011
wetone123 wetone123
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
Yup, pretty similar to mine. Spaetzle can hold up to cooking better than gnocchi, though.

I also make a ham and bean soup into which I put spaetzle.
I'll have to try spaetzle! Sounds good
05/11/2011
wetone123 wetone123
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
We had it for dinner last night, and it was indeed yummy.

By the way, considering the ridiculous amount of time it is taking me to put together this meeting, I now have quite the appreciation for the amount of work you put into each month. I ... More
I have great admiration for Alys. She comes up with some mighty good recipes and cooking ideas
05/11/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
Quote:
Originally posted by wetone123
I'll have to try spaetzle! Sounds good
It's a denser, egg-laden dough. I just drop bits of the uncooked dough in the soup near the end and it is ready to eat within minutes. I also add some nutmeg and black pepper to the spaetzle dough to give it some more complexity. It's good stuff.
05/11/2011
wetone123 wetone123
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
It's a denser, egg-laden dough. I just drop bits of the uncooked dough in the soup near the end and it is ready to eat within minutes. I also add some nutmeg and black pepper to the spaetzle dough to give it some more complexity. It's good ... More
Sounds yummy! The addition of nutmeg sounds especially good.
05/11/2011
Alys Alys
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
We had it for dinner last night, and it was indeed yummy.

By the way, considering the ridiculous amount of time it is taking me to put together this meeting, I now have quite the appreciation for the amount of work you put into each month. I ... More
Aw, thanks! So glad you could pinch-hit this month's meeting ((hug))
05/11/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
Quote:
Originally posted by Alys
Aw, thanks! So glad you could pinch-hit this month's meeting ((hug))
I'm glad I could help.
05/11/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
*shameless bump*
05/12/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
I can't wait for this. I know how much work goes into making each of these meetings happen, and you both rock for being able to pull it off
05/12/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
About 5 hours now.

I just served my daughter the gnocchi leftovers from last night. It's her favorite meal.
05/12/2011
sexyintexas sexyintexas
@Antipova, I know this sounds wierd but if I have something stick and it's not on a surface that abrasives will scratch, I take salt on my sponge and use it like an abrasive. It is cheap, safe and works really well. My grandma did it when I was growing up and it stuck with me. It also works good on tubs and toilets lol!
05/12/2011
Antipova Antipova
Quote:
Originally posted by sexyintexas
@Antipova, I know this sounds wierd but if I have something stick and it's not on a surface that abrasives will scratch, I take salt on my sponge and use it like an abrasive. It is cheap, safe and works really well. My grandma did it when I was ... More
That's a smart idea, sexyintexas! I clean my cast-iron this way, I wonder why I never thought of trying the same thing on steel. Thank you (and thanks to your grandma, too. )
05/12/2011
Total posts: 369
Unique posters: 13