Foods for Entertaining

  • Get FREE 5 Gifts with Orders $59+

Foods for Entertaining

junipersgame junipersgame
I LOVE to host parties, dinner, and casual get togethers. This has led to a great proficiency making finger foods and dips - "food for entertaining". I can't be the only one who likes to entertain, so lets make an entire thread of our tried and true recipes for entertaining!
08/08/2012
  • Buy 3 Items for $70
  • Buy 3 Items for $50
  • Buy 3 Items for $30
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Add Some Buzz To Your Favourite Toy & Save 60% On Kit
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
junipersgame junipersgame
I'll start with my signature Spinach and Artichoke dip. Everyone who has ever tried this dip swears it is the BEST spinach and artichoke dip they've ever had and routinely beg for the recipe. The most awesome thing about it? It's ridiculously easy to make!

Ingredients:
4 cloves minced garlic
1 can chopped spinach, drained of liquid
2 (14 ounce) cans quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 jar Alfredo sauce (I typically use roasted garlic Alfredo, because I <3 me some garlic)
2 cups shredded Italian 5-cheese blend
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 roma tomatoes, diced (OPTIONAL)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F.
In a medium bowl, use a whisk to mix garlic, Alfredo, cream cheese, spinach, and artichoke hearts together by hand, until cream cheese is mostly incorporated (there will still be a few chunks of cream cheese, but none that are massive). Stir in 1.5 cups of the 5-cheese blend.
Put contents of bowl into a ceramic or other baking dish. Spread evenly to fill pan, then cover with the remaining shredded cheese.
Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and starting to brown. Top with diced roma tomatoes and serve with tortilla or pita chips.
08/08/2012
- Kira - - Kira -
Quote:
Originally posted by junipersgame
I'll start with my signature Spinach and Artichoke dip. Everyone who has ever tried this dip swears it is the BEST spinach and artichoke dip they've ever had and routinely beg for the recipe. The most awesome thing about it? It's ...
That sounds so yummy!! I'm lazy and just do chips and salsa when people come over. Also little mini quiches are good, but none of my friends like them.
08/08/2012
junipersgame junipersgame
Quote:
Originally posted by - Kira -
That sounds so yummy!! I'm lazy and just do chips and salsa when people come over. Also little mini quiches are good, but none of my friends like them.
I love mini quiches! What's your favorite mini quiche recipe?
08/09/2012
MeliPixie MeliPixie
I like to make a buffalo chicken dip, I'll post the recipe another time though because I'm about to start a dog training webinar I was supposed to attend 45 minutes ago. XD
08/09/2012
junipersgame junipersgame
Quote:
Originally posted by MeliPixie
I like to make a buffalo chicken dip, I'll post the recipe another time though because I'm about to start a dog training webinar I was supposed to attend 45 minutes ago. XD
Mmmm, buffalo chicken dip sounds delicious! I've had it when other people made it, but no one's ever given me their recipe. I'd love to give your recipe a whirl, once you have a chance to post it!
08/09/2012
Ganconagh Ganconagh
These meatballs with bourbon peach sauce are always a hit

Meatballs:
2 pounds ground round
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 drops hot pepper sauce
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Bourbon
2 tablespoon oil
Peach Sauce:
1 18-ounce jar of peach preserves
1/2 cup Bourbon
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Blend ground round, milk, breadcrumbs, spices, sauces and Bourbon into a bowl. Shape into 1-1/2 inch meatballs. Brown meatballs in 2 tablespoons oil. Remove from pan and set aside, reserving meat drippings.

Peach Sauce: Combine ingredients, blending mixture into pan used to brown the meatballs. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add meatballs to sauce and coat thoroughly. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
08/09/2012
junipersgame junipersgame
Quote:
Originally posted by Ganconagh
These meatballs with bourbon peach sauce are always a hit

Meatballs:
2 pounds ground round
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 drops hot ...
This sounds delicious! I'll definitely have to give these a try.

Does the kind of bourbon matter? I have some ultra cheap bourbon I generally use when cooking, since I don't drink bourbon. Will bourbon quality affect the taste?
08/09/2012
Ganconagh Ganconagh
Quote:
Originally posted by junipersgame
This sounds delicious! I'll definitely have to give these a try.

Does the kind of bourbon matter? I have some ultra cheap bourbon I generally use when cooking, since I don't drink bourbon. Will bourbon quality affect the taste?
Most Bourbon snobs (and I am one, lol) would say yes, and each recommend their favorite, lol. But, no, not that much for cooking. Go with something aged at least 4 years. All Bourbon is aged at least 2 years, and most aged for 4 years or longer will say so on label. Generally, if there is no age on the bottle, it is closer to 2 years old.

I rarely use high end Bourbon for cooking...the good stuff is for sipping
08/09/2012
junipersgame junipersgame
Quote:
Originally posted by Ganconagh
Most Bourbon snobs (and I am one, lol) would say yes, and each recommend their favorite, lol. But, no, not that much for cooking. Go with something aged at least 4 years. All Bourbon is aged at least 2 years, and most aged for 4 years or longer will ...
Thanks for the tip!
08/09/2012
Ganconagh Ganconagh
You are very welcome I have posted several Bourbon recipes here that you may like.
08/09/2012
AHubbyof2SexualMinds AHubbyof2SexualMinds
I do a grilled pork tenderloin that is always a hit.

Ingredients:
2-3 pork tenderloins (3-4 lbs)
3 tbsp. dark brown sugar
1 tbsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. red pepper flake

Trim the tenderloins as you normally would. Combine the dark brown sugar, garlic powder and red pepper flake in a sealable bag, like a Ziploc. Add the tenderloins and close, making sure to squeeze out air. Move the meat around so that all ingredients are coating pork.

Put in fridge for min. 1 hour and up to 8.

Remove pork from fridge. The bag will look weird, the sugar breaks down and creates a paste/syrup on the meat. Remove pork and let come to room temp. Blot pork with paper towels.

Preheat grill, with one side being hot and another side being medium.

Grill pork for 3 min. per side on hot part of grill then move to cooler part of grill. Let cook 3-4 minutes per side on cooler part of grill, or until pork registers 145 degrees.

Remove pork from grill cover with foil and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.

Slice and serve, delicious!
08/10/2012
SneakersAndPearls SneakersAndPearls
Unfortunately, our house isn't big enough to entertain more than one or two people at a time. When people do come over, there is always coffee or tea, and often some sort of cookie or coffee cake.
08/10/2012
Abombadong Abombadong
I make killer enchiladas if you'd like the recipe? And every one thats tried says they're the best they've had. Creamy white sauce enchiladas,they are a family secret recipe too.
08/16/2012
junipersgame junipersgame
Quote:
Originally posted by Abombadong
I make killer enchiladas if you'd like the recipe? And every one thats tried says they're the best they've had. Creamy white sauce enchiladas,they are a family secret recipe too.
I'd love to see the recipe!
08/17/2012
Total posts: 15
Unique posters: 7