Green smoothie

Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Im thinking of doing a green smoothie detox for a few days. Ive been hitting the holiday food hard and have been feeling sluggish. Im a big fan of green smoothies or juice.

Does anyone drink green smoothies or juice? If so whats your favorite combination?
01/12/2012
  • Buy 1 Toy Get 1 FREE
  • Better Price Sale - Save 70%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 60%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 50%
  • Better Price - Save 40%
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Cookie Monster Mike Cookie Monster Mike
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
Im thinking of doing a green smoothie detox for a few days. Ive been hitting the holiday food hard and have been feeling sluggish. Im a big fan of green smoothies or juice.

Does anyone drink green smoothies or juice? If so whats your favorite ... More
What exactly is a green smoothie detox?

The only smoothie's I have had lately are homemade strawberry banana pineapple mango smoothies. mmmmmm
01/12/2012
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by Cookie Monster Mike
What exactly is a green smoothie detox?

The only smoothie's I have had lately are homemade strawberry banana pineapple mango smoothies. mmmmmm
Im gonna go a few days and just drink green smoothies. Not very long just enough to get a lot of sugars and stuff out of my body. All of the veggies and fruit in green smoothies boost your immune system like crazy. I was going to start drinking them for breakfast after the few days of just smoothies. And go about my normal usually moderately healthy food choices.
01/12/2012
Cookie Monster Mike Cookie Monster Mike
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
Im gonna go a few days and just drink green smoothies. Not very long just enough to get a lot of sugars and stuff out of my body. All of the veggies and fruit in green smoothies boost your immune system like crazy. I was going to start drinking them ... More
Never done this before really. If your looking to get out a lot of sugar from your system I'm going to assume the green smoothie is low in sugar?
01/12/2012
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by Cookie Monster Mike
Never done this before really. If your looking to get out a lot of sugar from your system I'm going to assume the green smoothie is low in sugar?
Oh yeah you can put whatever you want in it provided that the end color is green. But I was going to do kale, spinach, lemon, and green apple. Maybe change it up every once in awhile.
01/12/2012
sexiskewt sexiskewt
I haven't done it as a full on detox but I try to have a smoothie or juice for breakfast or at least at some point during the day. I like to put avocado in my smoothies to make them creamier, and it doesn't hurt to throw in 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar. Smoothies are a good vehicle for those miscellaneous supplemental things you should be consuming every day, like ACV, flax meal, wheat germ, chia seeds, protein powder, whatever.

Your recipe sounds pretty good already, more so as a juice than a smoothie. Maybe try some celery. You can find whole books/blogs/sites with green recipes. Just find the recipes you like and make an menu for a few days worth. Get your groceries and start when you're ready. It'll be easier to start if you wait until your regular groceries are all gone so you don't have any temptations (or food rotting in the fridge).
01/12/2012
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by sexiskewt
I haven't done it as a full on detox but I try to have a smoothie or juice for breakfast or at least at some point during the day. I like to put avocado in my smoothies to make them creamier, and it doesn't hurt to throw in 2 tsp of apple ... More
Thats what I was doing, waiting for my groceries to be gone. Not that I have anything too bad anyways, a freezer full of fish and a roast in the fridge. But that will be gone soon.

I know a lot of people like celery in theirs. Or parsley, mint, some banana, lots of stuff. I might add some plain greek yogurt in it to give it some fluff maybe some with probiotics in it. I want to get wheat germ or protien powder but Im not quite sure how much to add for those type of things.
01/12/2012
sexiskewt sexiskewt
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
Thats what I was doing, waiting for my groceries to be gone. Not that I have anything too bad anyways, a freezer full of fish and a roast in the fridge. But that will be gone soon.

I know a lot of people like celery in theirs. Or parsley, ... More
When you buy wheat germ/protein powder it will have a serving size listed on the back. My protein powder suggests 4 tbsp. You can decide what you want based on what a "serving" has to offer in terms of nutrients. Other things have a known recommendation for what you should have each day, like 2 tbsp of flax meal and 2 tsp of ACV.

I don't like yogurt in my smoothies, the taste is too overpowering. I prefer just the fruits, veggies, and supplements. I use frozen bananas instead of ice for the most potent flavor and a nice consistency. No water! (I dilute smoothies with almond milk and don't dilute juice at all).
01/12/2012
MeliPixie MeliPixie
It's much better for you to just eat healthy stuff, than to go on a "detox," AKA DIET, of nothing but smoothies. Your body needs SOLID food to continue to digest properly. Drink juice, eat lean meat, fewer carbs than you would but don't cut them out. But starving yourself (or just drinking and not eating) is actually really unhealthy in the long run.

Good luck and hope you start to feel better soon!
01/12/2012
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by MeliPixie
It's much better for you to just eat healthy stuff, than to go on a "detox," AKA DIET, of nothing but smoothies. Your body needs SOLID food to continue to digest properly. Drink juice, eat lean meat, fewer carbs than you would but ... More
Im not going on a diet, Im not trying to lose weight. Im at a incredibly healthy weight, not too small, but not overweight in the slightest. I just get really foggy if I eat too many sugars and starches and have to go a very few days with just really high veggie intake and nothing else to get back to feeling awesome again. I know that liquid diets are not healthy but its untrue that you need solid food to digest properly. If I was drinking something like that lemonaid detox thing I think that is incredibly unhealthy. But with a smoothie of veggies and little fruit for a FEW days it can be really really good for you. Add a little papaya or ginger and its great for you digestive system.

I dont eat bad on a regular basis never have, I dont over indulge in junk food. I dont eat a lot of pasta or potatoes. I eat healthy portions without over or under indulging. I just ate a lot of holiday type foods the last 2 weeks and Ive felt like shit. So I know I need to clean my system a little bit. I would never do this smoothie thing if it was unsafe for me. And Im not doing it for a longer period of time 3 days maybe.
01/12/2012
El-Jaro El-Jaro
I would never go out and get stuff for smoothies like this. If someone went out and got the stuff, blended it, and served it, I'd cover my costs, but that's it.

I was thinking that that's a LOT of iron too, with the green veggies. I don't know about avocados...seems fatty to me. But it'd be pretty creamy though!

Are these sweet/savory? Just sweet? Field and grassy?
01/12/2012
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by El-Jaro
I would never go out and get stuff for smoothies like this. If someone went out and got the stuff, blended it, and served it, I'd cover my costs, but that's it.

I was thinking that that's a LOT of iron too, with the green veggies. ... More
Depends what you put in it. Ive had them taste all over the spectrum of sweet, savory, sour. But Ive never had one that tasted like a salad. Ive never tried one with avocado in it, a lot of people do it with the pit of the avocado as well. That freaks me out a little bit, Id be afraid itd destroy my blender.

I just looked heres one with a avocado.

* 2 cups water
* 6 leaves, dandelion greens
* 1/2 cup spinach
* 2 tbls parsley, fresh
* 1 tsp mint, fresh
* 2 tbls lime juice
* 1/2 cup mango or papaya
* 1/2 to 1 banana
* 1/4 an avocado



Looks pretty yummy.
01/12/2012
sexiskewt sexiskewt
Quote:
Originally posted by MeliPixie
It's much better for you to just eat healthy stuff, than to go on a "detox," AKA DIET, of nothing but smoothies. Your body needs SOLID food to continue to digest properly. Drink juice, eat lean meat, fewer carbs than you would but ... More
A detox is not a diet... it's a detox. There's nothing unhealthy about cleansing your body of waste by consuming natural, raw fruits and veggies in a concentrated form; it's about health and energy, not weight loss. Consuming food is consuming food whether it's in a liquid or solid state. Drinking smoothies is not "starving yourself".

It's silly to say that your body NEEDS solid food to digest properly. If you'd rather chew your food than drink it go ahead, but that is a personal preference. In order to receive the full benefits of the greens you eat you'd have to chew them completely to a pulp before swallowing, a process that would take hours. Your body more readily absorbs the nutrients of foods that are completely broken down. When prepared correctly green smoothies are a complete food that don't need any supplementation. Don't knock it if you don't understand it.
01/12/2012
Starkiller87 Starkiller87


Smoothie of the day brought to you by my awesome Swamp Thing cup.

Green apple, spinach, banana, and lemon yogurt. Simple but really tasty.
01/16/2012
biancajames biancajames
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
Im thinking of doing a green smoothie detox for a few days. Ive been hitting the holiday food hard and have been feeling sluggish. Im a big fan of green smoothies or juice.

Does anyone drink green smoothies or juice? If so whats your favorite ... More
I made one today that was arugula, mango puree from the mexican store, lime juice, and avocado...really good!
01/16/2012
biancajames biancajames
I have an unfortunate smoothie handicap of being sensitive to both banana and yogurt though...hence the avocado and lime! gets the same creamy/tangy quality...
01/16/2012
hillys hillys
I've never heard of "green smoothies" before. What is the general concept?
03/23/2012
Secret Pleasure Secret Pleasure
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87


Smoothie of the day brought to you by my awesome Swamp Thing cup.

Green apple, spinach, banana, and lemon yogurt. Simple but really tasty.
ohh sounds yummy im trying this how much servings do u use of each thing tho i want to keep my portion sizes as healthy as possible
03/27/2012
satinlady550 satinlady550
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
Im thinking of doing a green smoothie detox for a few days. Ive been hitting the holiday food hard and have been feeling sluggish. Im a big fan of green smoothies or juice.

Does anyone drink green smoothies or juice? If so whats your favorite ... More
What is a green smoothie
09/03/2012
brandij1j brandij1j
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
Im thinking of doing a green smoothie detox for a few days. Ive been hitting the holiday food hard and have been feeling sluggish. Im a big fan of green smoothies or juice.

Does anyone drink green smoothies or juice? If so whats your favorite ... More
No but i thi k iill join u in it!
03/03/2013
brandij1j brandij1j
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
Oh yeah you can put whatever you want in it provided that the end color is green. But I was going to do kale, spinach, lemon, and green apple. Maybe change it up every once in awhile.
Hmmm....
03/03/2013
brandij1j brandij1j
Quote:
Originally posted by sexiskewt
I haven't done it as a full on detox but I try to have a smoothie or juice for breakfast or at least at some point during the day. I like to put avocado in my smoothies to make them creamier, and it doesn't hurt to throw in 2 tsp of apple ... More
Thanks!!!
03/03/2013
brandij1j brandij1j
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
Depends what you put in it. Ive had them taste all over the spectrum of sweet, savory, sour. But Ive never had one that tasted like a salad. Ive never tried one with avocado in it, a lot of people do it with the pit of the avocado as well. That ... More
Aewesome!!!
03/03/2013
hut22dunn2 hut22dunn2
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
Im thinking of doing a green smoothie detox for a few days. Ive been hitting the holiday food hard and have been feeling sluggish. Im a big fan of green smoothies or juice.

Does anyone drink green smoothies or juice? If so whats your favorite ... More
I haven't personally done this yet but I'm interested in any resources anyone has on info.
07/12/2013
Total posts: 24
Unique posters: 11