Truffles??

Azule Azule
I watch quite a few cooking shows and I always see them adding truffles to everything. So obviously I looked it up and truffles are insanely expensive. I was just wondering if you have cooked with truffles and if you think they are worth the cost.
Answers (public voting - your screen name will appear in the results):
I use truffles.
MeliPixie , tern , P'Gell , Vanille , wdanas , Ouroborean , gypsymama , Pierced Blaqk Skies , Boyfriend , kat17
10
I don't use truffles.
Kitka , Sammi , humblepie , BobbiJay , SparklyGlitter , DiamondKoala , Valentinka , mistre$$ , BiJess , A.Mari , sjerzecouple , hillys , Hadespark , VenusianThunder , Secret Pleasure , RiahPapaya , LikeSunshineDust , ConnerJay , Mamastoys , ghalik , vanilla&chocolate , Mirachaya , Moniqua , Stinkytofu10 , Chefbriapink , bdan , Lioncub , Incendiaire , misty82 , tortilla , Rory , True Pleasures , GirlOnGirl , nimr , married with children , sophia430 , mpfm
37
Never heard of truffles.
I think they are worth it.
tern , P'Gell , wdanas , Ouroborean , gypsymama , Pierced Blaqk Skies , FlySolo , kat17
8
I don't think they really are worth the cost.
Sammi , humblepie , BobbiJay , AJvil , MeliPixie , padmeamidala , AHubbyof2SexualMinds , RiahPapaya , sexyfun , ghalik , Intrepid Niddering , Lioncub , Passion plum , utsukushiixtsumi , sophia430
15
Baby corgies are adorable.
Kitka , humblepie , SparklyGlitter , DiamondKoala , P'Gell , Vanille , Mwar , ghalik , 12345678 , vanilla&chocolate , Mirachaya , g- , Beautiful-Disaster
13
Total votes: 83 (59 voters)
Poll is closed
03/02/2012
  • Buy 1 Vibrator Get 1 FREE
  • Limited offer: Save 25% on Blush Toys
  • Annual Clearance - Save 40%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 50%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 60%
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Kitka Kitka
I've never used truffles in cooking anything but baby corgies are super adorable!
03/02/2012
Sammi Sammi
I've tried them, but I really don't care for them.
03/02/2012
BobbiJay BobbiJay
I don't like truffles.
03/02/2012
DiamondKoala DiamondKoala
Quote:
Originally posted by Kitka
I've never used truffles in cooking anything but baby corgies are super adorable!
I know! So Cute.
03/03/2012
MeliPixie MeliPixie
Oh man! I forgot to click "Baby corgies are adorable!"

I have used truffles before, but I find they're not really worth the price. If you're making something that simply won't be the same without its earthy, mushroomy flavor, try purchasing a bottle of truffle oil. It's costly, yes, but you buy it once, and literally you can finish a dish with just a few drops of it, so it lasts much longer than actual truffles do.

Hope this helps!
03/03/2012
Azule Azule
Quote:
Originally posted by MeliPixie
Oh man! I forgot to click "Baby corgies are adorable!"

I have used truffles before, but I find they're not really worth the price. If you're making something that simply won't be the same without its earthy, mushroomy ... More
It does. Thanks so much. I was wondering if the oil really had the same flavor or if it was a texture thing that people wanted as well with the truffles. Maybe I can train a corgie to sniff out truffles for me.
03/03/2012
MeliPixie MeliPixie
Quote:
Originally posted by Azule
It does. Thanks so much. I was wondering if the oil really had the same flavor or if it was a texture thing that people wanted as well with the truffles. Maybe I can train a corgie to sniff out truffles for me.
It's the same basic principle as shaving truffles, but instead, you're drizzling on a finishing oil. The flavor is the same, but obviously you won't end up with the pieces of truffle. Hah, a corgie sniffing truffles is the cutest image ever!!!
03/03/2012
tern tern
Quote:
Originally posted by Azule
I watch quite a few cooking shows and I always see them adding truffles to everything. So obviously I looked it up and truffles are insanely expensive. I was just wondering if you have cooked with truffles and if you think they are worth the cost.
Where I'm from is truffle country, so from time to time you can get them at the Farmer's Market for a lot less than they go for in most places. And you really don't have to use a lot of them to get a lot of flavour! So I think it really depends on whether or not you like the flavour and are willing to pay (depending on what the price is, more or less!) to get that flavour!

My mum used to get them and put a little bit mixed in with butter and eat that on stuff and it was pretty incredible how much the flavour came through with so little truffle in it.
03/09/2012
Antipova Antipova
I hope that one day I will have the opportunity to use a truffle (and there wasn't really an option for that in your poll)... I guess back in the day of Escoffier truffles weren't so expensive so they were used pretty much all the time... but by now they've become a status symbol. Still, I would like to try one once to see what they're like.
03/09/2012
AHubbyof2SexualMinds AHubbyof2SexualMinds
Have not actually taken the plunge and tried them in my own cooking. Have had truffles in restaurants and found them okay. But, I'm not huge on mushrooms, and the earthy flavor reminds me of them.
03/12/2012
P'Gell P'Gell
To be more specific, I use truffle oil. Regular truffles are not only difficult to find, but very expensive (I've had them in restaurants, and.... oh my!) Truffle oil is fairly expensive, but it goes a long way, it imparts a flavor that you can't get from anything else, and it is just..... lovely!

I use it in sauces and gravies and sometimes potato dishes etc. I buy my truffle oil at Williams and Sonoma and pay about $26.00 for a 4 oz (I think. I'm too lazy to go downstairs to look.) and it lasts about a year. You only need a few drops per pot of gravy or sauce. People exclaim and can't figure out what that wonderful flavor and aroma is!

I detest most mushrooms, but I love the flavor of truffles.

I once bought a more inexpensive brand at the grocery store and it was VILE. I ended up throwing it away. It tasted like mold.

This is the one I use.
03/12/2012
Azule Azule
Quote:
Originally posted by P'Gell
To be more specific, I use truffle oil. Regular truffles are not only difficult to find, but very expensive (I've had them in restaurants, and.... oh my!) Truffle oil is fairly expensive, but it goes a long way, it imparts a flavor that you ... More
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to check into my specialty store. I'll make sure to avoid the bargain brand truffle oil, if that exists.
03/12/2012
Azule Azule
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
I hope that one day I will have the opportunity to use a truffle (and there wasn't really an option for that in your poll)... I guess back in the day of Escoffier truffles weren't so expensive so they were used pretty much all the time... but ... More
Sorry, yea I forgot about that part but it's kind of where I stand too I guess. I didn't know that though, I always just guessed they were rarities to find. Oil will have to do for now I guess.
03/12/2012
hillys hillys
I've always been curious about them because their are a lot of stories on them, yet i don't think it would be right to "add them to everything".
03/14/2012
VenusianThunder VenusianThunder
I have never tried truffles before, but would love to one of these days. So, because I never tried them, I cannot really say if they are worth the money or not.
03/17/2012
Mwar Mwar
Baby Corgies! Mine isn't a baby anymore, but he's cute. Does he count?

Oh, and about truffles, I don't use them, but i always wanted to go mushroom/truffle hunting. For the experience. But I'm afraid of killing myself.
03/29/2012
Secret Pleasure Secret Pleasure
never used them and i dont think i would.
04/03/2012
RiahPapaya RiahPapaya
Never tried truffles or truffle oil and don't plan on it. Both my boyfriend and I went to a culinary school and one of our chefs told us that the oil isn't worth the price, tastes like shit, and smells like sweaty balls. Lol. He's a brutally honest, speaks-his-mind kinda guy
06/11/2012
ConnerJay ConnerJay
I've never used them before based on their price and I have not seem them available at supermarkets in my area.

I have tried a few dishes at restaurants using truffles and they were amaaaazing.
06/17/2012
Mamastoys Mamastoys
I don't make them but my nieces do and I love them but have to eat them sparingly!
06/17/2012
namelesschaos namelesschaos
Never tried them but hope to one day.
07/25/2012
vanilla&chocolate vanilla&chocolate
Quote:
Originally posted by MeliPixie
Oh man! I forgot to click "Baby corgies are adorable!"

I have used truffles before, but I find they're not really worth the price. If you're making something that simply won't be the same without its earthy, mushroomy ... More
Personally, I'm a pretty basic cook. But my friend's dad is a foodie, and he always uses truffle oil. It's less expensive, and provides the same flavor!
07/25/2012
Mirachaya Mirachaya
My boyfriend uses them at work but I personally do not. Also corgi's are always adorable.
07/25/2012
Moniqua Moniqua
I don't use truffles.
07/25/2012
g- g-
Because fresh truffles are so fragile, expensive and hard to come by I would suggest a truffle oil. You can also get them canned and dried, but they take a lot of work to re hydrate properly and still taste a bit off. Often you can find good quality truffle oil for a decent price at places like tjmaxx or Homegoods.
07/25/2012
Stinkytofu10 Stinkytofu10
Quote:
Originally posted by Azule
I watch quite a few cooking shows and I always see them adding truffles to everything. So obviously I looked it up and truffles are insanely expensive. I was just wondering if you have cooked with truffles and if you think they are worth the cost.
Nope, I don't ever use truffles, cannot afford it.
07/25/2012
Stinkytofu10 Stinkytofu10
Quote:
Originally posted by g-
Because fresh truffles are so fragile, expensive and hard to come by I would suggest a truffle oil. You can also get them canned and dried, but they take a lot of work to re hydrate properly and still taste a bit off. Often you can find good quality ... More
I remember watching Masterchef, the contestant got yelled at for using truffle oil.
07/25/2012
bdan bdan
I never had a recipe that called for truffles.
09/01/2012
Lioncub Lioncub
I have never used them and don't know that I would, I have no reason to believe they are worth the cost to try them.
09/01/2012
  • 1
  • 2
Total posts: 44
Unique posters: 39