#EdenDIY - Club Meeting: Cabinet refinishing. Tuesday November 20th - Canceled

ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim


Welcome one and all to this month’s EdenDIY meeting!

I must confess that this month I had other plans for the meeting but life has a way of making you take unexpected detours. As some of you may know I manage five rental properties for my mom. We had a renter move out unexpectedly and mom decided it was time to remodel the apartment.

One of the projects I am doing is to refinish the kitchen cabinets. I thought this would be a nice way to show how easy it is to change the looks of your kitchen with minimal work. For the most part I am just repainting them and adding new handles and knobs. This kitchen has about six coats of paint on the cabinets and just looks crappy.

Well, see for yourself.


So, sure hope to see y’all here for some “refinishing 101”. As always everyone is welcome to attend and learn. Also, we will have some trivia, GC to give out and my plans for next month’s meeting-just in time for the holidays.
11/14/2012
  • Buy 1 Vibrator Get 1 FREE
  • Limited offer: Save 25% on Blush Toys
  • Annual Clearance - Save 40%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 50%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 60%
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Beck Beck
I show have my internet on by then. I'll try my best to remember.
11/14/2012
Sunny Meadows Sunny Meadows
Remodeled our kitched when we first moved in. It was old and we couldn't afford to replace the cabnets then so I feel what you are about to take on. We have since remodeled again. Taking everything out and replacing everything. I really can't tell you which is easier
11/14/2012
travelnurse travelnurse
That sounds good and I have seen your pictures.. You do great!
11/14/2012
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by Beck
I show have my internet on by then. I'll try my best to remember.
hmm...I seem to remember you saying that last time...


11/14/2012
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by Sunny Meadows
Remodeled our kitched when we first moved in. It was old and we couldn't afford to replace the cabnets then so I feel what you are about to take on. We have since remodeled again. Taking everything out and replacing everything. I really can't ... More
I too have done it both ways, hard to say for sure but I think dealing with new is a bit easier.
11/14/2012
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by travelnurse
That sounds good and I have seen your pictures.. You do great!
Awe shucks little darlin, you are to kind.
11/14/2012
meitman meitman
Cool. I've done some cabinet work, but just with installing new cabinets. Not refinishing old ones. I'll have to check it out for sure.
11/14/2012
Airen Wolf Airen Wolf
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim


Welcome one and all to this month’s EdenDIY meeting!

I must confess that this month I had other plans for the meeting but life has a way of making you take unexpected detours. As some of you may know I manage five rental properties ... More
I love home woodworking! Great topic for DIY.
11/15/2012
Airen Wolf Airen Wolf
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim
I too have done it both ways, hard to say for sure but I think dealing with new is a bit easier.
Easier on the sinuses I'll say. Mine bled for days even with wearing a face mask. Wood dust and I do not get along. There's a good feeling of satisfaction when you refinish an old piece of furniture or cabinet that you don't get with new. Then again you don't have the fun of picking out the new stuff either...
11/15/2012
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by Airen Wolf
Easier on the sinuses I'll say. Mine bled for days even with wearing a face mask. Wood dust and I do not get along. There's a good feeling of satisfaction when you refinish an old piece of furniture or cabinet that you don't get with new. ... More
Agreed! Something about making it look new gives better satisfaction than just buying it new. A lot of the time it looks better too.

A good example is a chair I just finished for a lady at work. She was going to give me the chair (Just wanted to get rid of it) but I seen a some material laying by her desk. I talked her into letting me recover the chair instead. She just wanted the fabric but I talked her into refinishing the wood too. See for yourself, the refinish with the fabric is just plain awesome.

Before...


After...


I also re-did a foot stool she had and made it match the chair.

Best par is that this chair will last another 60-70 years!
11/15/2012
Petite Valentine Petite Valentine
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim
Agreed! Something about making it look new gives better satisfaction than just buying it new. A lot of the time it looks better too.

A good example is a chair I just finished for a lady at work. She was going to give me the chair (Just wanted ... More
You are the best co-worker ever.
11/16/2012
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by Petite Valentine
You are the best co-worker ever.
Thanks! I deliver them today, I can't wait to see her face when I bring it in!
11/17/2012
True Pleasures True Pleasures
I have quite a few things that need refinishing. So, this definitely comes at the right time.

Now, if I can only figure out how to make a drawer... I found a great chest that someone threw away, but it's missing a drawer and has been like that for probably 2 or 3 years now.
11/19/2012
travelnurse travelnurse
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim
Agreed! Something about making it look new gives better satisfaction than just buying it new. A lot of the time it looks better too.

A good example is a chair I just finished for a lady at work. She was going to give me the chair (Just wanted ... More
Oh my you did great!!! Can you do one for me?
11/19/2012
travelnurse travelnurse
I will be at your workshop!! I do enjoy them and I don't have to work!!
11/19/2012
Ansley Ansley
Hey everyone, I just received an email from Triple T; unfortunately, today's meeting has to be canceled. He's run into some computer issues and as luck would have it he was then called into work on short notice.

He apologizes profusely to everyone who was looking forward to today's meeting. I'll keep you all updated on either a new date or where you can find the information once the computer issues have been resolved! Thanks!
11/20/2012
travelnurse travelnurse
Oh no!! This week is not the time for computer issues unless you can find a good sale and have the money. So maybe it is a good week for it. I will watch for the update!
11/20/2012
Beck Beck
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim
hmm...I seem to remember you saying that last time...


LOL. I did remember, but now, you are the one with internet issues! Dun..Dun..Dun. LOL Look forward to the make up meeting.
11/20/2012
Sexy Desire Sexy Desire
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim


Welcome one and all to this month’s EdenDIY meeting!

I must confess that this month I had other plans for the meeting but life has a way of making you take unexpected detours. As some of you may know I manage five rental properties ... More
What a great topic! I am so sorry I missed it as a very recent member.
Please think about redoing another 'Refinishing 101' again in the future!

11/26/2012
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Hey guys! So sorry y'all, life just does not want to co-operate lately. Between two apartment renovations, my mom going in and out of the hospital and a shortage of employees at work my time is pretty short.

Kind of worked out for the better though, as of yet I have not finished the cabinets. One of the joys I face managing these apts for my mom is her famous "Oh, we should do this too!", she just loves to add new projects when time is limited.

Anyways, lets call this one a bust and I'll try to make it up for the next one. M'K?
11/26/2012
Sir Sir
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim
Hey guys! So sorry y'all, life just does not want to co-operate lately. Between two apartment renovations, my mom going in and out of the hospital and a shortage of employees at work my time is pretty short.

Kind of worked out for the ... More
Sounds good! I'm really excited for what you have planned!
12/03/2012
Total posts: 22
Unique posters: 11