Eden Photographers Club Meeting - Tuesday, November 15th @ 7 pm EST (Topic: TBA)

  • Christmas shipping schedule
  • 20% OFF sitewide — Code: ENJOY20

Eden Photographers Club Meeting - Tuesday, November 15th @ 7 pm EST (Topic: TBA)

Vaccinium Vaccinium
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
Have you wiped your partition than reinstalled windows? Like just restart your computer to factory settings. Youd have to save everything to separate disks or whatever but it might be worth it if youre having so much trouble.
I literally just figured out this happened about 20 minutes ago. I figured what I did was the easiest and safest way to manage it.

I'm gonna try reinstalling Word as well. The blue screen and lock-up issues were on my last computer.
11/15/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
Welcome to the ninth meeting of the Eden Photographers Club! I hope everyone had a good month of thinking about photography and looking at the world through a photographer’s eyes. I want to thank all of you who are here tonight. Although the leaves are being shed from the trees and winter is soon upon us, there are still plenty of opportunities to get out there and make some beautiful photography

This meeting will focus on framing not the type of framing you might do in a wooden rectangle after you've printed a photo, but rather situating your subjects in your image to bring attention to them and give them context. Framing can be simple of complex, but either way, it can greatly influence the quality of your photos.

Before we get started, is there anything anybody wanted to bring up about photography or the club?

Anything at all?
11/15/2011
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
Welcome to the ninth meeting of the Eden Photographers Club! I hope everyone had a good month of thinking about photography and looking at the world through a photographer’s eyes. I want to thank all of you who are here tonight. Although the leaves ...
My first thought is framing of a photo in subject and not framing of photo literally. I never get around to buying frames for my photos, maybe thats why.
11/15/2011
sexyintexas sexyintexas
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
Welcome to the ninth meeting of the Eden Photographers Club! I hope everyone had a good month of thinking about photography and looking at the world through a photographer’s eyes. I want to thank all of you who are here tonight. Although the leaves ...
Nope just here to learn....*bows to teacher*
11/15/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
Am I the only one who gets random comments on old reviews in bunches? Within the last half hour I got comments from two people on a review I posted several months ago.
11/15/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
My first thought is framing of a photo in subject and not framing of photo literally. I never get around to buying frames for my photos, maybe thats why.
Yeah, I get into that in a sec.
11/15/2011
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
Am I the only one who gets random comments on old reviews in bunches? Within the last half hour I got comments from two people on a review I posted several months ago.
I always feel like I get spammers who do that to me. And they down vote the reviews, but I go to their profile and they have NOTHING on it. But it does always happen like 2 at a time.
11/15/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
To be clear, framing your image isn't quite the same thing as composing it. Framing can be a component of composition, but not every photo needs to have the subject framed. That was probably confusing, so let me break it down a bit. Composition is the way you organize everything in your image. Using the Rule of Thirds, lines, framing, etc. are all compositional elements that you can use to draw attention to not only your subject, but the entire image. Framing is specifically using features to draw attention to your subject while at the same time putting it into some sort of context.

Still not making sense? Well, try this. after you read each of the next sentences, close your eyes and imagine them.
-- You are on a tropical beach at sunset with a palm tree arching gracefully over the beach in front of you with the setting sun under it.
-- You are in Italy and spy an ancient fountain through a stone archway.
-- You are at a dance club and, between two martini glasses on your table you see a couple dancing.
-- You look out an old, divided window upon the first heavy snowfall of winter.

At each of these photo opportunities, you have a choice. You could have gone for a basic sunset photo, but including the tree draws attention to the sun and also lets everyone know you are on a tropical beach rather than some random beach. The fountain might make a nice photo itself, but including the archway focuses attention on it while letting everyone know that it is in a more intimate setting. People dancing can look good, but framed by booze-filled glasses lets people know this is a club where you are relaxing and socializing in addition to dancing. Snow photos can be wonderful by themselves, but a twist would be to juxtapose the stark cold with the warm comfort of your home. Although framing rarely portrays an emotion, it can certainly foster one.

You with me?
11/15/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
Am I the only one who gets random comments on old reviews in bunches? Within the last half hour I got comments from two people on a review I posted several months ago.
I have a better time figuring out who was going on review reading sprees by type, because I'll get comments on like, 10 older lingerie reviews at once sometimes.
11/15/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
I always feel like I get spammers who do that to me. And they down vote the reviews, but I go to their profile and they have NOTHING on it. But it does always happen like 2 at a time.
I didn't get downvoted, per se (I got a useful and an extremely useful).

Strange, though.
11/15/2011
sexyintexas sexyintexas
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
I always feel like I get spammers who do that to me. And they down vote the reviews, but I go to their profile and they have NOTHING on it. But it does always happen like 2 at a time.
I get that too.
11/15/2011
sexyintexas sexyintexas
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
To be clear, framing your image isn't quite the same thing as composing it. Framing can be a component of composition, but not every photo needs to have the subject framed. That was probably confusing, so let me break it down a bit. ...
Sounds good. I want to see the fountain through the arch now...
11/15/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
Any problem imaging those scenes?
11/15/2011
aliceinthehole aliceinthehole
Quote:
Originally posted by sexyintexas
I missed Eden soooo much! I am so glad to be back online again. I thought I was going to die from detoxing from here.
welcome back!
11/15/2011
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
Any problem imaging those scenes?
Nope perfectly clear.
11/15/2011
sexyintexas sexyintexas
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
Any problem imaging those scenes?
No I can get the idea of them all.
11/15/2011
sexyintexas sexyintexas
Quote:
Originally posted by aliceinthehole
welcome back!
Thanks!!!!
11/15/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
Sorry I couldn't go out and get all those photos. Italy, a tropical beach, a snowy chalet, and a hot dance club aren't the easiest places for me to get to.
11/15/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
I have to admit that I actually don't use framing very frequently in my photography. That's not because I don't think it is an effective means to compose a photo, but rather that objects one could use to frame out in nature (where I do my photography) are not as common as in areas constructed by people. In nature, trees and portals in rocks (e.g., arches and caves) are the most common objects you can use to frame your subject, but with enough inventiveness, you can use others as well.








These aren't my best photos, but in the first one, the trees frame the mountains in the background and bring attention to the fact that there is a lot of distance between them. In the second photo, the trees frame the waterfall and show how the waterfall is in a forest setting.

You might also notice that the objects doing the framing in each photo doesn't completely enclose the main focal point. They need not do so to be effective. To be effective, they need to put focus on your subject and bring context to it.
11/15/2011
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
Sorry I couldn't go out and get all those photos. Italy, a tropical beach, a snowy chalet, and a hot dance club aren't the easiest places for me to get to.
Hot dance clubs arent part of your weekly routine?
11/15/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
brb. Gotta stir dinner.
11/15/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
Hot dance clubs arent part of your weekly routine?
I'm a 39-year old white guy. What do you think?
11/15/2011
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
I have to admit that I actually don't use framing very frequently in my photography. That's not because I don't think it is an effective means to compose a photo, but rather that objects one could use to frame out in nature (where I do ...
I like that you left these a bit hazy, it makes them feel like part of a fairy tale. Reminds me what the Diana camera by holga does.
11/15/2011
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
I'm a 39-year old white guy. What do you think?
Heheheh, im a 24 year old girl and Ive never been out clubbing.... I stay home watching scifi movies all night.
11/15/2011
aliceinthehole aliceinthehole
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
Sorry I couldn't go out and get all those photos. Italy, a tropical beach, a snowy chalet, and a hot dance club aren't the easiest places for me to get to.
i dont know what a snowy chalet is but... italy, tropical beach and dance club i've def. got pics of!
lived in italy for a year... thinking seriously about moving back in january.
11/15/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
I like that you left these a bit hazy, it makes them feel like part of a fairy tale. Reminds me what the Diana camera by holga does.
It's an older camera (Canon 10D) and the sharpness and resolution aren't all that great relative to today's cameras. Hence the softness.
11/15/2011
sexyintexas sexyintexas
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
brb. Gotta stir dinner.
Lol, I am stuffing my face as we type. Those are nice photos. We need rain! I went to the lake yesterday and had wanted to try to get some good pictures but it is so dry the water has receded 10 ft back and it just looked trashy.
11/15/2011
Vaccinium Vaccinium
Quote:
Originally posted by aliceinthehole
i dont know what a snowy chalet is but... italy, tropical beach and dance club i've def. got pics of!
lived in italy for a year... thinking seriously about moving back in january.
A chalet is a small, alpine cabin. It's a great place to spend time at a ski resort.
11/15/2011
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaccinium
It's an older camera (Canon 10D) and the sharpness and resolution aren't all that great relative to today's cameras. Hence the softness.
That is why I own so many different cameras. I love when cameras age and get light leaks, and lose some sharpness.It adds uniqueness to them. Well at least with film cameras.
11/15/2011
Brusselsbrat Brusselsbrat
What if you have a regular cam? Do you do most of your framing with Photoshop?
11/15/2011
Total posts: 223
Unique posters: 9