Naked Reader Book Club Discussion: Crazy Little Thing - Why Love and Sex Drive Us Mad, by Liz Langley (December 27, 8-10 PM EST)

winterseve winterseve
Quote:
Originally posted by RTx
It totally goes there!Hi winterseve...
Hi!
12/27/2011
Sacchi Sacchi
Quote:
Originally posted by winterseve
Does the book go into bonding and Oxytocin? I love neuroscience when it's not for a grade.
There's a lot about Oxytocin, in various contexts. Oxytocin and dopamine, especially.
12/27/2011
Sacchi Sacchi
I love the images of the parts of the brain lighting up. I am SO going to use some of that in in an erotica story one of these days!
12/27/2011
Liz Langley Liz Langley
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
So what originally got you interested in neuroscience? When did you first hear/read something that made you say "Ah! This might be interesting!" ?
When I read Helen Fisher's "Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love," in 2004. I interviewed her for this book which was exciting...she was exactly as warm and forthcoming as her writing is and she has a great gift for humanizing science, for making the work she did, doing fMRI brain scans on people in love and people who had been rejected in love, to see what parts of their brains would become active during those states and thus what chemicals would be involved in all those tumultuous feelings we get when we're smitten...or rejected.

Why people do what they do is so endlessly interesting, and throwing the brain chemsitry/structure element on top of psychology just makes it a more intriguing subject.
12/27/2011
RTx RTx
The last book I read before getting into this one half-way, so far, was The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson...and I definitely see overlap in the research...
12/27/2011
Liz Langley Liz Langley
Quote:
Originally posted by winterseve
Bonobos? That's awesome! I study anthropology so that makes me want to read even more. We study chimps and bonobos and other apes while studying humans. I didn't get a request in in time to get this for an assignment. I'll hopefully ... More
When I first discovered that bonobos even existed (about 15 years ago after seeing a TV show about them) I thought it was so fascinating that we always look at our behavior and evolution through the idea that chimps were our ancestors. Then here comes this whole different breed of ape that solves conflict with sex...it's so interesting, as others have certainly noted, what our take would be on our own behavior if we initially saw them as our ancestors! I wonder if we'd put a lot more importance on our sexuality and desire for love.
12/27/2011
Sacchi Sacchi
We always ask, somewhere along the line, who here has read the book (or at least some of it,) so here's your chance to chime in. Don't worry, we'll keep teasing those who haven't with references to the good parts. Actually, they're all good parts.
12/27/2011
Liz Langley Liz Langley
Quote:
Originally posted by LicentiouslyYours
Hi Winterseve!
Hi Winterseve!
12/27/2011
Snozzberries Snozzberries
Holy moly, I made it to this! AND LIZ IS STILL HERE TOO! Well, my night just got better.
I'm just starting out with all this so I'll sit back and watch but YES! I MADE IT!
12/27/2011
Antipova Antipova
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz Langley
When I read Helen Fisher's "Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love," in 2004. I interviewed her for this book which was exciting...she was exactly as warm and forthcoming as her writing is and she has a great gift for ... More
Ooooh, this is super interesting.
12/27/2011
RTx RTx
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz Langley
When I read Helen Fisher's "Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love," in 2004. I interviewed her for this book which was exciting...she was exactly as warm and forthcoming as her writing is and she has a great gift for ... More
Liz, I haven't read far along enough to know...in Crazy Little Thing...do you explore people who pine themselves away for love...a la the 1980 film Somewhere In Time, based on Ricard Matheson's sci-fi/romance novel?
12/27/2011
Diabolical Kitty Diabolical Kitty
Quote:
Originally posted by Sacchi
We always ask, somewhere along the line, who here has read the book (or at least some of it,) so here's your chance to chime in. Don't worry, we'll keep teasing those who haven't with references to the good parts. Actually, they're all good parts.
I didn't get this book so it's fun to read what other people are saying.
12/27/2011
Antipova Antipova
Quote:
Originally posted by Snozzberries
Holy moly, I made it to this! AND LIZ IS STILL HERE TOO! Well, my night just got better.
I'm just starting out with all this so I'll sit back and watch but YES! I MADE IT!
Yay Hi Outwardly Shy!
12/27/2011
Liz Langley Liz Langley
Quote:
Originally posted by winterseve
Yah. I created the name years ago (it's also my gamer name). I live in Florida so that picture was actually taken on the beach on Christmas a couple years ago.
I live in FL, too! But it looks like you're by the beach, lucky girl!
12/27/2011
Sacchi Sacchi
Hey, OutwardlyShy, we're glad you made it. Feel free to turn some of that enthusiasm outward. There's no right or wrong way of doing things here.
12/27/2011
winterseve winterseve
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz Langley
When I first discovered that bonobos even existed (about 15 years ago after seeing a TV show about them) I thought it was so fascinating that we always look at our behavior and evolution through the idea that chimps were our ancestors. Then here ... More
I've actually been part of a discussion on that topic. I think it's interesting that Bonobos also exhibit homosexuality for conflict and fun and wonder how people would have looked inward relating to them instead as well. I think as more people are exposed things will shift to be more sex positive. At least I hope so!
12/27/2011
Liz Langley Liz Langley
Quote:
Originally posted by Sacchi
I noticed that cats (kitties) didn't get their love and sex habits analyzed, which is probably just as well. Although the old "cat on a hot tin roof" analogy certainly strikes a chord sometimes.
Helen Fisher does talk briefly in "Why We Love" about how, when you're petting a cat and stop for a second they'll sometimes bite - she uses it as an illustration of how our chemistry can change from content to frustration/aggression if we feel like affection s being withdrawn.
12/27/2011
winterseve winterseve
Quote:
Originally posted by RTx
Liz, I haven't read far along enough to know...in Crazy Little Thing...do you explore people who pine themselves away for love...a la the 1980 film Somewhere In Time, based on Ricard Matheson's sci-fi/romance novel?
Somewhere in Time is so amazing!!!
12/27/2011
RTx RTx
Quote:
Originally posted by winterseve
I've actually been part of a discussion on that topic. I think it's interesting that Bonobos also exhibit homosexuality for conflict and fun and wonder how people would have looked inward relating to them instead as well. I think as more ... More
Amen, sister!
12/27/2011
Antipova Antipova
I've got to go cut some ready-rod for a kitchen remodeling project, I should be back before long!
12/27/2011
RTx RTx
Quote:
Originally posted by winterseve
Somewhere in Time is so amazing!!!
Do you know they have THEIR OWN FAN CONVENTION???
12/27/2011
winterseve winterseve
Quote:
Originally posted by RTx
Do you know they have THEIR OWN FAN CONVENTION???
NO WAY! WHERE?!?
12/27/2011
LicentiouslyYours LicentiouslyYours
Quote:
Originally posted by Snozzberries
Holy moly, I made it to this! AND LIZ IS STILL HERE TOO! Well, my night just got better.
I'm just starting out with all this so I'll sit back and watch but YES! I MADE IT!
Welcome Shy, glad you could join us!
12/27/2011
Sacchi Sacchi
Quote:
Originally posted by RTx
Liz, I haven't read far along enough to know...in Crazy Little Thing...do you explore people who pine themselves away for love...a la the 1980 film Somewhere In Time, based on Ricard Matheson's sci-fi/romance novel?
Not only is there pining away, but the darker reaches of denial of loss and death.
12/27/2011
RTx RTx
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz Langley
Helen Fisher does talk briefly in "Why We Love" about how, when you're petting a cat and stop for a second they'll sometimes bite - she uses it as an illustration of how our chemistry can change from content to ... More
I guess I'm a feline Bonobo, then...
12/27/2011
Liz Langley Liz Langley
Quote:
Originally posted by Sacchi
I was wondering about that, too. The whole book was fascinating, but I especially liked the images from the neuroscience studies, like this part:

"Dr. Fisher wanted to test whether the neurotransmitters dopamine, norepinephrine, and ... More
That's another of the things about neuroscience that's so interesting...I think we're often very quick to judge ourselves and others on emotions without realizing that they really are chemical reactions, physical changes that take place, and thinking of it that way gives you a chance to take a breathe and think "No, I'm not overreacting, my adrenaline is just up," or whatever feeling may be. It gives us another window as to why we act, react, overreact nd interact....and that, in turn, gives us the chance to work with it and change it if we feel like we need to.

And that's what I mean about Helen Fisher's writing...she does really write about the science of love in a way that people who are more in it for the love than the science can entirely relate to!
12/27/2011
Snozzberries Snozzberries
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz Langley
Helen Fisher does talk briefly in "Why We Love" about how, when you're petting a cat and stop for a second they'll sometimes bite - she uses it as an illustration of how our chemistry can change from content to ... More
Man, that accurately describes my last relationship.
12/27/2011
RTx RTx
Quote:
Originally posted by winterseve
NO WAY! WHERE?!?
They had it for years at the Victorian hotel site where the movie was filmed...and often had it's stars appear at the event...get the dvd with the extra bits; tells all about it.
12/27/2011
winterseve winterseve
Quote:
Originally posted by RTx
They had it for years at the Victorian hotel site where the movie was filmed...and often had it's stars appear at the event...get the dvd with the extra bits; tells all about it.
OMG I will! I still watch the *cough* VHS religiously.
12/27/2011
Liz Langley Liz Langley
Quote:
Originally posted by tim1724
Well, I think you succeeded.

And it turns out that the person I was going to pick up missed her flight and got put on a later one, so I shouldn't have to go anytime soon.
Thanks! I'm a big fan of Douglas Adams and Bill Bryson, both of whom wrote terrific, hilarious essays/books on various travels. That's the tone I was going for with the narratives.
12/27/2011
Total posts: 216
Unique posters: 19