Canadian EF Users... Is there any way to avoid custom charges. They are a B!

sktb0007 sktb0007
I'm not sure how many Canadian EF users there are here, but I am wondering if there is anyway to avoid the atrocious custom fees. I know when shopping online in the states, there is always that chance.. but I am wondering how it can be avoided, or if that is even possible?

I know that when I purchase things from Ebay users in America, they send as "gift" on the packaging sticker they have to fill out, that way it doesn't get charged... but I assume that EF will not ship as a gift since it is a larger company (only smaller companies usually do this because they do not have as many international orders going out).

I'm just curious because it is a serious B when they arrive asking for cheque or credit card when I have neither (I usually just buy gift credt cards to purchase online).
10/28/2011
  • Weekly Special; Buy 1 Vibe, get 1 FREE
  • Save 15% on Luxury Brands
  • Annual Clearance - Save 30%
  • Buy Cascade vibe and save 50% on lubricants!
  • Save 20% on self-lubricating Cascade vibe and sleeve kit
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Ansley Ansley
I think the only way you could legally get around it is to hook up with another Edenite that is in the states and have the product sent to them, then sent to you with the paperwork showing it's a gift. You would probably have to work out a way to compensate them for shipping it to you, but that shouldn't be too hard. Just make sure it's someone you trust!
10/28/2011
Menarae Menarae
Yeah...legally, there's no way to guarantee there won't be customs charges for a purchase. Even those smaller companies could get fined if customs found out the "gift" they were sending was actually a purchase.

But really, the customs fees themselves are the taxes (GST + PST if applicable) plus $5 customs charge. Non-USPS carriers charge a "handling fee" and that's what tends to get pretty steep. But I did hear that over the summer, UPS came under investigation, because that handling fee could be considered a duty, and it's illegal to charge a duty on shipments between the US and Canada. If that's the case, then shipping charges might just change.
10/30/2011
Ilya Ilya
We are aware of the situation with fees being imposed for Canadian orders. Unfortunately, it is a normal occurrence for all US->Canada commerce.
We will do what we can on our part. Our shipping manager is looking into the situation to find out more details and see if we can do anything to reduce the fees. I will keep you posted.
10/31/2011
toxie m toxie m
I'm in Canada and I've never been charged any customs on my EF orders, and I've had at least 15+ packages arrive from them in the past year. I will definitely be unhappy if it ever happens. I did get charged customs on a package I ordered from Tantus' site, and that kinda sucked. After receiving so much from EF with no customs charge, I was caught totally off-guard, hah.
10/31/2011
sktb0007 sktb0007
Quote:
Originally posted by Ansley
I think the only way you could legally get around it is to hook up with another Edenite that is in the states and have the product sent to them, then sent to you with the paperwork showing it's a gift. You would probably have to work out a way to ... More
That's actually not a bad idea Stormy!
11/02/2011
sktb0007 sktb0007
Quote:
Originally posted by toxie m
I'm in Canada and I've never been charged any customs on my EF orders, and I've had at least 15+ packages arrive from them in the past year. I will definitely be unhappy if it ever happens. I did get charged customs on a package I ordered ... More
Yeah, well, this was actually the first that customs charged me for. It was actually my partner's package not mine. Cost around $40 something dollars. I am a bit concerned because I have a package coming (review item and a few other things) and I looked on the UPS website, and it looks like this one went through customs as well which means we'll have to fork out more money. I just find it odd considering we've NEVER been charged before when getting a package from EF, but now, it seems like it's going to be a regular thing..... Which means either customs considers us a preferred client (aka they see our address and rip our packages open) or EF has been doing something slightly different when shipping that has changed the way customs views the packages being sent in to Canada...

We don't mind paying every so often because customs is a B and it happens every so often. If it starts happening every time though, I'm not sure what we will do.... Especially if I'm sent a review product that retails for $30, and then I end up paying almost the same amount with the charges from customs... Know what I mean?
11/02/2011
sktb0007 sktb0007
Quote:
Originally posted by Ilya
We are aware of the situation with fees being imposed for Canadian orders. Unfortunately, it is a normal occurrence for all US->Canada commerce.
We will do what we can on our part. Our shipping manager is looking into the situation to find out ... More
That's great, thanks for letting me know. I just replied to another response in this thread so I won't repeat myself entirely, but we don't mind paying custom fees. We know that it sometimes happens. I've shopped online since I was younger, so it's not my first experience with custom charges lol.. But I find it odd that the package I am expecting is going to cost me money as well. Like I had said in the other post, it seems like it is now a constant, rather than an "every now and again".
11/02/2011
sexy19364 sexy19364
I have ordered from eden a few times, but this last order slapped me with a 30.30 fee, and I have to run out and get a prepaid credit card before the UPS person comes back tomorrow. :/ It's a huge pain, and it was completely unexpected.
11/02/2011
toxie m toxie m
Quote:
Originally posted by sexy19364
I have ordered from eden a few times, but this last order slapped me with a 30.30 fee, and I have to run out and get a prepaid credit card before the UPS person comes back tomorrow. :/ It's a huge pain, and it was completely unexpected.
Yikes. What was the total cost of your order, if you don't mind me asking? I'm just wondering where the number comes from that they're charging you - is it 13% HST? Is there more on top of that? I'm looking on the Canadian Customs website and it seems kind of hard to calculate what one could expect to be charged Or maybe I'm just not getting it. The one time I got a customs invoice (not from EF) I was charged $33 on a $90ish total, which seems extravagant to me.
11/02/2011
Kynky Kytty Kynky Kytty
Quote:
Originally posted by sktb0007
Yeah, well, this was actually the first that customs charged me for. It was actually my partner's package not mine. Cost around $40 something dollars. I am a bit concerned because I have a package coming (review item and a few other things) and I ... More
The first time I ordered on EF, I had purchased a LOT of stuff, and the box was so large that UPS took great care in wanting to know how much everything was worth. After that, I made sure to keep my boxes small as to not raise suspicion, and I never paid fees again. But then, the total was not explicitly given by EF on the box, and that's probably what has changed.

UPS would not go through the trouble of investigating the value of a small package if the value wasn't already given. But then, from what you are all saying, the value seems to be given now and UPS is asking for their share now.

And don't forget that UPS is charging more than taxes, they apply their own brokerage fees depending on the value of the package as well. Because it's more difficult filling a form if it's worth more. Obviously.

I'm about to order stuff for over $100 and I'm worried about the fees. I hope a solution is found soon, I want to take advantage on the dildo sale... (I love dildos). But if UPS starts taking my money, it's going to affect the value of the products I buy on the site, and I'd try to get more toys on this side of the border.
11/02/2011
Eva Schwaltz Eva Schwaltz
This has happened to me twice in the last couple of weeks. I was charged $23 twice. Last week I got nipple clamps only worth $14, then this week I got another package worth $109. It seems to be a constant now, and I have more stuff on the way for review. I think they are going way overboard with their import fees. I am considering just declining the shipments because lately I've been shipping a lot of packages to the US and these charges are adding up.
11/03/2011
sktb0007 sktb0007
Quote:
Originally posted by Eva Schwaltz
This has happened to me twice in the last couple of weeks. I was charged $23 twice. Last week I got nipple clamps only worth $14, then this week I got another package worth $109. It seems to be a constant now, and I have more stuff on the way for ... More
You had to pay $23 when you only got nipple clamps worth $14? W.T.F!

Yeah, I just checked my order, and it should be arriving today. I have a prepaid gift credit card that my partner picked up so we can actually receive our package. This really bites the big one though, especially for review products...

At least for the $109 order you received, you only had to pay $23 bucks. I really wonder how they come up with the numbers, because we had to pay $40, and the order wasn't larger than yours. :S I am praying that the package today that is supposed to arrive isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg
11/03/2011
sktb0007 sktb0007
Quote:
Originally posted by Kynky Kytty
The first time I ordered on EF, I had purchased a LOT of stuff, and the box was so large that UPS took great care in wanting to know how much everything was worth. After that, I made sure to keep my boxes small as to not raise suspicion, and I never ... More
The last sentence you wrote makes sense. Because if the charges become a constant, then you have to incorporate them into the price of the products you purchase, and when it's an extra $40something bucks you have to add to your order, it hurts a little! I'm hoping we hear something soon from EF to hear how the progress is coming along.
11/03/2011
sktb0007 sktb0007
Quote:
Originally posted by sexy19364
I have ordered from eden a few times, but this last order slapped me with a 30.30 fee, and I have to run out and get a prepaid credit card before the UPS person comes back tomorrow. :/ It's a huge pain, and it was completely unexpected.
This is exactly what we had to do. I am waiting on the package to arrive today, and I have no idea how much they are going to tell me I owe. My partner picked up a pre-paid credit card from the 7-11 just so we would be able to get our package when it arrives. It totally is a pain in the butt. I mean, it sucks being charged, but it sucks even more when you know you're going to be charged but have no idea how much they are going to want from you.
11/03/2011
sktb0007 sktb0007
Quote:
Originally posted by toxie m
Yikes. What was the total cost of your order, if you don't mind me asking? I'm just wondering where the number comes from that they're charging you - is it 13% HST? Is there more on top of that? I'm looking on the Canadian Customs ... More
Customs does charge extravagantly ... I remember a long, long time ago I bought a coat off Ebay. They charged me almost $70, and that is approx. how much I paid for the damn thing on ebay! I guess because it was brand name, they took the retail price off the retail website rather than assuming I purchased it in an auction. I was young, and had a credit card in my name, so at the time, it was annoying, but I was spending my money like a fool anyway back then.

I hope you continue to not receive charges by customs for EF products txymxy!!! You'll be one of the rare few
11/03/2011
Kynky Kytty Kynky Kytty
My suggestion for EF would be to pay the base UPS price as they already have, and give the option to upgrade to the International shipping. A lot of the brokerage is covered with that, but the taxes would still be paid.

However, ideally, I'd like things to return to what they were. I'm completing an order tonight, and we'll see if I get screwed by UPS... (crossing fingers).
11/03/2011
sktb0007 sktb0007
Quote:
Originally posted by Kynky Kytty
My suggestion for EF would be to pay the base UPS price as they already have, and give the option to upgrade to the International shipping. A lot of the brokerage is covered with that, but the taxes would still be paid.

However, ideally, ... More
So I didn't get my package today, I missed the UPS guy when he buzzed because I was sleeping. But he left a slip, and it's going to cost almost $50!
11/03/2011
toxie m toxie m
Quote:
Originally posted by sktb0007
So I didn't get my package today, I missed the UPS guy when he buzzed because I was sleeping. But he left a slip, and it's going to cost almost $50!
Ugh! That's brutal
11/03/2011
Kynky Kytty Kynky Kytty
Quote:
Originally posted by sktb0007
So I didn't get my package today, I missed the UPS guy when he buzzed because I was sleeping. But he left a slip, and it's going to cost almost $50!
I'd be tempted to return the package to EF instead of giving them that much money.
11/03/2011
astrohoney astrohoney
Not cool. FedEx says taxes and duty is the responsibility of the shipper, on the receiver, as it should be. I'm not sure if UPS is the same, but if they're a competing company then it may be. Are customs charges NOT duty or taxes? If it's separate charge, that's total B.S. If not, then what gives?

As well, I've seen tracked orders from EF jumping across the border multiple times (sometimes up to 4 times crossing the border back and forth before finally getting here) - would we have to pay customs charges for each time UPS brings it over the border? Because that's UPS's fault, not ours.

A friend of mine got a package from FedEx with this with a customs bill, but still got their package. I don't think they paid it yet and I'm highly unsure of what FedEx can really do to make them pay for it since the shipping process is complete.
11/03/2011
Jobthingy Jobthingy
*knocks on wood* I have been hearing this a lot lately and I have not run into this problem. I average about 3 parcels a month from EF and if I start getting dinged left, right, and center for stuff I don't even know that I could continue reviewing.

I will certainly be keeping an eye on this thread.
11/03/2011
Misfit Momma Misfit Momma
My last package was valued over $200 and it didn't have anything added to it. After a year+ of getting 2-3 packages a month, I've only had a few that did get taxes added but maybe I have been lucky.

Awaiting another package which should arrive next week so guess I will find out then!
11/03/2011
Kynky Kytty Kynky Kytty
I made my order and removed a item or two to make sure that if I were to pay fees, I'd be in the below $100 value for the brokerage fees. It sucks as I wanted a few other things that go out of stock easily. I'll let you guys know too.
11/04/2011
sktb0007 sktb0007
I was skimming an article earlier and had seen something about UPS adding their own additional charges when your package has went through customs. I'm going to look into it a bit later, and I'll ask my UPS guy when he arrives too if its the regular guy because he's an older man and he's quite nice. We are friends lol.
11/04/2011
Ansley Ansley
Quote:
Originally posted by sktb0007
I was skimming an article earlier and had seen something about UPS adding their own additional charges when your package has went through customs. I'm going to look into it a bit later, and I'll ask my UPS guy when he arrives too if its the ... More
What a crock of crap. How on earth is UPS affected by packages going through customs?
11/04/2011
sktb0007 sktb0007
Quote:
Originally posted by Ansley
What a crock of crap. How on earth is UPS affected by packages going through customs?
I'm still not 100% sure of everything, but from what I understand, there is a customs clearance fee? I'm not sure. Here is what I was looking at on the ups site: link
11/04/2011
sktb0007 sktb0007
here is another website talking about UPS' fees from US to Canada

link
11/04/2011
Ansley Ansley
Quote:
Originally posted by sktb0007
I'm still not 100% sure of everything, but from what I understand, there is a customs clearance fee? I'm not sure. Here is what I was looking at on the ups site: link
Well that sucks. So if I understand correctly, that would mean that Eden isn't using UPS Express Plus...which if I recall correctly from all of my years in warehouses, is the international version of Next Day Air. And that is not cheap, for Eden or you.
11/04/2011
Kynky Kytty Kynky Kytty
Quote:
Originally posted by sktb0007
I'm still not 100% sure of everything, but from what I understand, there is a customs clearance fee? I'm not sure. Here is what I was looking at on the ups site: link
Yes, that's what I referred as the brokerage fees. With the States, UPS is great, and a lot of companies use it, but when it comes to crossing borders, that's where people get screwed. A lot of companies aren't aware of the extra money involved that is applied over the taxes.

Give me taxes on my order, I don't care, but to have a company apply their own "fees" is insulting and a theft. They already got PAID at the initial payment.
11/04/2011
Total posts: 281
Unique posters: 37