Topless?

Carrie Ann Carrie Ann
I was reading Petra's column today and started to wonder...
As she ends it...

What do you think?

Should women be able to go topless anywhere men do? Would you? Or would you rather preserve the "power of the boob"?
09/09/2009
  • Weekly Special; Buy 1 Vibe, get 1 FREE
  • Save 15% on Luxury Brands
  • Annual Clearance - Save 30%
  • Buy Cascade vibe and save 50% on lubricants!
  • Save 20% on self-lubricating Cascade vibe and sleeve kit
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Saraid Saraid
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Ann
I was reading Petra's column today and started to wonder...
As she ends it...

What do you think?

Should women be able to go topless anywhere men do? Would you? Or would you rather preserve the "power of the boob"?
I was in Spain this summer and had the opportunity to go topless on the beach along with the men and some women, but chose not to just because of my own embarrassment. However, I do believe going topless is totally acceptable and should be allowed anywhere where men are allowed to go topless.
09/09/2009
Heather Heather
Quote:
Originally posted by Saraid
I was in Spain this summer and had the opportunity to go topless on the beach along with the men and some women, but chose not to just because of my own embarrassment. However, I do believe going topless is totally acceptable and should be allowed ... More
Same here when I was in Italy. In theory I agree with you but then I think about my 9yr old son on the beach with a bunch of topless women and not so much. But that plays back to our Puritan beginings in this country. If we all were o.k. with this and always had been there wouldn't even be this question.
09/09/2009
Victoria Victoria
I'm fine with equal opportunity toplessness. Ya know, as a mom it actually really bothers me that women's breasts have been so sexualized and objectified - yet men's chests are not seen as nearly so sexual. Yes, there are hard-body manly chests in ads and such - but still...always seeing women in ads with cleavage and the heaving bosom stuff? It's too much. I think it all reinforces the differences between men and women - having men be able to run around shirtless, but women not being comfortable or legally allowed to. Equality shouldn't be conditional.

Not to mention, breastfeeding - which some women have issues with because they cannot separate the act from the sexual attachment that they have made to their own breasts. I agree with the author, Petra, about the right to breastfeed in public. Whether or not it's a comfortable choice for you, breastfeeding should be supported, not treated with disdain. It is necessary, it is natural.

Regardless, my point is - I do wish my kids weren't being taught by everything that they see that breasts are inherently sexual for women but not for men. It's just not true.
09/09/2009
Valyn Valyn
I think women should be able to go topless where men can. People here just don't get it. Nudity does NOT EQUAL sex. There's a huge difference between nudity and sex, yet somehow, they all got bunched up together.

Europe, at least the parts I've been to, has started figuring out the difference. But here in "the West"? It's all the same crap. It bugs me. It grinds my gears. Then women wonder why we get so objectified.. well, maybe if everything about a women wasn't pushed into the category of sex, this wouldn't be as big of an issue.
09/09/2009
Saraid Saraid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valyn
I think women should be able to go topless where men can. People here just don't get it. Nudity does NOT EQUAL sex. There's a huge difference between nudity and sex, yet somehow, they all got bunched up together.

Europe, at least the ... More
Exactly.
09/09/2009
Mommyhood is Thankless Mommyhood is Thankless
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Ann
I was reading Petra's column today and started to wonder...
As she ends it...

What do you think?

Should women be able to go topless anywhere men do? Would you? Or would you rather preserve the "power of the boob"?
I think we should be able to have the same rights, but I think it is better to keep them covered in public. For pretty much the same reasons she lists. I mean I want my boobs to keep their power.

Also, boys need to be brought up with the FACT that boobs are first for feeding babies, and THEN they are a sex object.
09/09/2009
Rockin' Rockin'
The article went a bit far envisioning the hysteria that would ensue if such a law (allowing toplessness for all) were enacted. How many topless guys do you see every day? I see none out in public. If I go to the gym, maybe I'll see a few (and I'll also see topless women in the locker room). I'm not sure where the idea came from that if every person with boobs could be topless, they automatically WOULD, or at least to the extent of causing traffic accidents and rampant titty webpages.

Not to be too practical here, but it's cold in a lot of places. Where I live, it's hardly ever warm enough for me to want to go out in a tank top, let alone topless. Women also like breast support, which would at least become evident after people started trying out toplessness if it were an option.

It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me if women were allowed to go topless. I envision men being topless in a number of situations (the gym, the beach, maybe playing basketball/frisbee, a barbecue?), but since I'm not overrun by topless men in everyday life, having equal numbers of women topless in similar situations doesn't warrant a big fuss.

I also am in favor of public breastfeeding. That one just makes sense to me.
09/09/2009
J's Alley J's Alley
Quote:
Originally posted by Victoria
I'm fine with equal opportunity toplessness. Ya know, as a mom it actually really bothers me that women's breasts have been so sexualized and objectified - yet men's chests are not seen as nearly so sexual. Yes, there are hard-body manly ... More
I agree with Victoria ~ I actually don't see my breasts as sexual. As a matter of fact I have never hidden them. Since I was about twelve I have always changed tops in front of windows and in my car and in front of my friends. I would even go as far as saying there is not a single friend of mine who has not seen my breasts. And not a single one of them even give a second glance if I change my top and bra in front of them because it is so normal for me. My sisters are the same way. None of us really give a damn, and since I have breast fed, I care even less.

Oh and to people who have issues with women breast feeding in public...that's just sad. Babies need to eat, and the last thing I am thinking about while nursing is how sexy my boobs look. Geeze. They're just breasts, we have all seen a few dozen of them.
09/09/2009
Miss Cinnamon Miss Cinnamon
As far as the legality goes, I think that women should be able to trot around topless without being slammed for indecency. Personally, though, I would choose to keep my shirt on. I enjoy hiding a little skin.
09/09/2009
spicywife spicywife
Quote:
Originally posted by Victoria
I'm fine with equal opportunity toplessness. Ya know, as a mom it actually really bothers me that women's breasts have been so sexualized and objectified - yet men's chests are not seen as nearly so sexual. Yes, there are hard-body manly ... More
Thank you for saying this.

You literally just said exactly how I feel. As a breastfeeding mom, I truly wish that there was more awareness about the functionality of breasts. I nurse my daughter in public and have never had any negative comments, but I know of women who have. It's about time that breastfeeding - and breasts in general - are not shunned. Women have breasts, that's natural. They can be sexy yes, but they serve a purpose too.

In my opinion, breasts are amazing. What is more amazing than being able to feed your child?

As far as breasts being sexual.. yes they are. But as a mom, I've been able to experience the functional side of them and have learned to appreciate them because of that as well.

The only problem that I have with the topless thing is that I'm tired of breasts being made out to just be sexual objects. That, however, is something that is a part of society and won't change.

Of course, not all women breastfeed - either they don't have kids or don't breastfeed for a certain reason.

But I like what was said by Mommyhood is Thankless:
"Also, boys need to be brought up with the FACT that boobs are first for feeding babies, and THEN they are a sex object."
09/09/2009
Victoria Victoria
Quote:
Originally posted by spicywife
Thank you for saying this.

You literally just said exactly how I feel. As a breastfeeding mom, I truly wish that there was more awareness about the functionality of breasts. I nurse my daughter in public and have never had any negative ... More
I'm glad you relate! When I read this thread I just had to chime in.
09/09/2009
deceased deceased
I live in Hawaii, and I'm all for MORE clothes at the beach. The average American body looks a before add for Fit Camp or Body For Life. Some of the men walking around have bigger breasts than the foreign tourists. Anyway, most of the women may as well go topless with some of the bikini tops that look like two pasties and a piece of overtaxed string.

Breasts are a natural thing, but there should be areas of the beach roped of for ropless or botomless folks so the more conservative people and folks with little kids don't feel offended.

As for me, going to the beach is the most sexually dampening experience of my day, next to my job. (working post partum). I prefer to go at night. Less tourists, more clothes, etc. Especially no sun. (Just a giant ball of carcinogens in the sky)
09/09/2009
deceased deceased
I'm all for breastfeeding in public if it is done discretely and appropriatley. I had a patient who was still breast feeding her six year old. He'd just go up to hear and say "boobies" . He ate real food as well. It weirded me out a little.
They do make shrowd like shawls so the infant can suckle and the world doesn't have to watch. Afterall, newborns feed like every 3 hours, you gotta have some life. I'm very pro breastfeeding.
09/09/2009
Backseat Boohoo Backseat Boohoo
Quote:
Originally posted by deceased
I'm all for breastfeeding in public if it is done discretely and appropriatley. I had a patient who was still breast feeding her six year old. He'd just go up to hear and say "boobies" . He ate real food as well. It weirded me out a ... More
I'm all for breast-feeding, but six years old seems a bit...old for me. Especially in a developed country where children can get plenty of food outside of breast milk. To be quite honest, I'd probably wean my kids before they hit 2.
09/09/2009
spicywife spicywife
Quote:
Originally posted by Backseat Boohoo
I'm all for breast-feeding, but six years old seems a bit...old for me. Especially in a developed country where children can get plenty of food outside of breast milk. To be quite honest, I'd probably wean my kids before they hit 2.
There are many native tribes that nurse their children to six or older. The children simply go up to nurse some (while the mom is up and about working, etc) and then go back to playing/etc. I don't see anything wrong with it myself.

I am practicing extended nursing because I believe that nursing also serves an emotional aspect as well as a nutritional one. Also, I've studied up on the benefits of breastfeeding newborns and toddlers. There is a lot still to offer for toddlers, especially increased immunity to diseases (including diabetes). It's really a miracle drink.
09/09/2009
LicentiouslyYours LicentiouslyYours
The article made me think and I have to say I disagree with the author. There was a time when women's ankles and calves had to be covered because they were "too sexually arousing" to be seen. I get that some people are more titillated by what they can't see, but frankly that's hardly a justification for making rules that apply to only one sex. If you want to keep them hidden, keep them hidden, but if I don't, I should be free to make my own choices and not be burdened by anyone's agenda to keep women's breasts "special" and "taboo."

And I wholly agree with the breastfeeding comments made here. Breastfeeding couldn't be more natural and normal; it's exactly what breasts were designed for. Why someone should have to hide this normal activity from the world, I do not know. But I do know that keeping it "under a shawl" only further perpetuates the same "taboo" associated with hiding them in general. It perpetuates an atmosphere of "uncomfortable" when someone does flash a breast as they are breastfeeding.

I will admit, the 6 year-old breastfeeder did seem weird to me at first. But you know, if we were all exposed to female breasts as just another part of the body, the way we are male breasts, probably we would have no issue with this at all.

It's not like it's harmful to the child at all, in fact, it's good for him, nutritionally and emotionally. (yes, he can eat regular food, but he could drink formula from birth and we all agree that's not better than breastmilk) It's not like the boy, at 6, has begun to think of breasts as sexual objects. So why are we so much more comfortable to see an infant breastfeed, but squicked out by an older, but similarly innocent child breastfeeding?
09/13/2009
Ciao. Ciao.
I think going topless outside of certain situations (ie. at the beach, sunning yourself, exposing minimally for breastfeeding, or maybe some yardwork) tends to just look tacky. I wouldn't have a problem with women being allowed to do it...but I would hope that women would exercise a little better judgment than the many men who decide to just wander around shirtless just to show off.
09/13/2009
Adriana Ravenlust Adriana Ravenlust
Hmm. I have to ask but what ARE the places where it's acceptable for the moob but not the boob? I'm having a hell of a time trying to remember the last time I saw a man shirtless in a public setting - except for the homeless crazy guy in my hometown. I guess I don't see the big deal because I don't go to these places?
09/13/2009
LicentiouslyYours LicentiouslyYours
Quote:
Originally posted by Adriana Ravenlust
Hmm. I have to ask but what ARE the places where it's acceptable for the moob but not the boob? I'm having a hell of a time trying to remember the last time I saw a man shirtless in a public setting - except for the homeless crazy guy in my ... More
The beach, the park, the public swimming pool, the basketball court...just off the top of my head, would be the public places I am used to seeing men topless.
09/13/2009
Victoria Victoria
Quote:
Originally posted by LicentiouslyYours
The beach, the park, the public swimming pool, the basketball court...just off the top of my head, would be the public places I am used to seeing men topless.
Jogging, festivals, and don't forget shirtless guys at shows (live music)) - you know you're imagining shirtless dudes in the pit now! Anyway, yeah, I live in Philly and I see shirtless guys all the time - and none that I can recall have seemed homeless.
09/14/2009
Liz2 Liz2
I went topless in Spain and France at the beaches, it is so the norm there. Less stares there then here wearing a top.
I can not jog anywhere (even on a treadmill) w/o a sports bra regardless of the convention.
09/14/2009
Adriana Ravenlust Adriana Ravenlust
Quote:
Originally posted by Victoria
Jogging, festivals, and don't forget shirtless guys at shows (live music)) - you know you're imagining shirtless dudes in the pit now! Anyway, yeah, I live in Philly and I see shirtless guys all the time - and none that I can recall have ... More
Man, those are places I just never go, I guess! LOL
09/14/2009
Gary Gary
It is hard to unlearn what you have been taught, so right or wrong it is a part of our current culture. If a law passed tomorrow making everything equal in the shirt department, I bet most women would not opt to exercise their rights to go topless, because most men would go nuts about it. It could take years to get to a point where it was not a big deal, maybe generations. At least that is my opinion / prediction.

On a sidenote, the 6 year old breast feeding... are there any laws or regulations about that kind of thing?
11/03/2009
El-Jaro El-Jaro
I saw something about an Ausie woman who breast fed her son up to and past 6. Yeah, seems a little weird to me.

I'm not a breast guy, so I'm not really all that into tits. I am a big proponent for equal rights. Sure, it killed chivalry, but it was on its way out anyway.
11/03/2009
Gunsmoke Gunsmoke
Everyone has an opinion - none of which will do anything to change the world. But what the heck - here are my thoughts;

We're always trying to create moral-equivalency - but the fact is that a mans chest - is not a functioning organ like a female breast.

One assumption here seems to be that all breasts are beautiful and worth 'displaying'. The fact is that most men don't chests worth displaying - nor do most women.

All women know that exposing their breasts - or not - gives them great power over men - why not keep the power?

But hey - if you want to go around turning all the teenage boys - don't let me get in your way!
11/03/2009
Sir Sir
I do think that they should be able to go topless. Women's breasts are over-sexualized, and personally, I don't like that. Though I do love to have my mouth on my little girl's nipple, I can ASSURE you that men's nipples have had mouths on them too. No reason to pick on women because theirs are a bit larger - in fact, there are plenty of men with larger chests, so should they have to always wear shirts? No, they don't.

I think that there's nothing wrong with nudity. If we can, women should be able to too without being looked at inappropriately (which brings up the point that men ARE looked at in that way when topless).
11/03/2009
Sir Sir
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir
I do think that they should be able to go topless. Women's breasts are over-sexualized, and personally, I don't like that. Though I do love to have my mouth on my little girl's nipple, I can ASSURE you that men's nipples have had ... More
Ahh, and breastfeeding. Personally, it bothers me when women feel all shy when they're feeding their child. It makes me want to just yell at them, "LADY, YOU'RE FEEDING YOUR CHILD, COULD YOU NOT SMOTHER THEM WITH THAT SHIRT PULLED OVER THEIR HEAD?!" Honestly, there's nothing wrong with breastfeeding - personally, I find it better than formula-fed. So the people who do it shouldn't feel upset or nervous about it - they're doing a good thing by giving their babies the "real stuff."
11/03/2009
Backseat Boohoo Backseat Boohoo
Quote:
Originally posted by spicywife
There are many native tribes that nurse their children to six or older. The children simply go up to nurse some (while the mom is up and about working, etc) and then go back to playing/etc. I don't see anything wrong with it myself.

I am ... More
You'll note I said "especially in developed countries." In many countries, women only continue to breastfeed past a certain age because they cannot provide food from another source of food. And I think there's a big difference between a toddler (which I see as about 2 or 3 years old) and a child who can chew and digest solid food.

I would never deny that breast milk isn't healthy. In fact, I am really supportive of breastfeeding. I just find the idea of breastfeeding that long a little unusual and unnecessary.
11/03/2009
Backseat Boohoo Backseat Boohoo
Quote:
Originally posted by Backseat Boohoo
You'll note I said "especially in developed countries." In many countries, women only continue to breastfeed past a certain age because they cannot provide food from another source of food. And I think there's a big difference ... More
...that should've said just "from another source." Shouldn't try to write and look at forums at the same time.
11/03/2009
Total posts: 30
Unique posters: 20