This 4th of July, please don't forget.......

Peggi Peggi
To read over these helpful 4th of July pet safety tips to keep your furry friends safe and happy during this stressful time for them!

Remember, while we love to include them in our special events, loud sounds often scare our furbabies, so extra precautions always must be taken!

This message has been brought to you by 4th of July cat!

07/04/2012
  • Buy 1 Vibrator Get 1 FREE
  • Limited offer: Save 25% on Blush Toys
  • Annual Clearance - Save 40%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 50%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 60%
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Rossie Rossie
Thanks for the reminder, I'll be very careful...and it's time to feed my pooch his first Valium for TODAY.
07/04/2012
Peggi Peggi
Quote:
Originally posted by Rossie
Thanks for the reminder, I'll be very careful...and it's time to feed my pooch his first Valium for TODAY.
Aww poor pup. We had to get some sedatives for ours as well, because we can't give them actual Valium (we have the 10mg ones), because we have a small dog, a medium dog and our biggest is only 80lbs so we had to buy the expensive stuff darn it! But, as long as it keeps them calm, I am happy! We also are using the trick with turning up the TV a bit more, and watching action movies with lots of sound, to try and drown it out!

Good luck to you and your doggy! I hope he stays nice and calm and gets through tonight with no stress
07/04/2012
ksparkles16 ksparkles16
Ya, I've been watching my roommate's dog for a few months (she's studying abroad). She hates fireworks! I'm also giving her a sedative tonight, I though of turning up the tv too! Good idea The past few nights, a few random ones have gone off. She shakes like crazy I'll be home tonight watching her so she's not alone
07/04/2012
Peggi Peggi
Quote:
Originally posted by ksparkles16
Ya, I've been watching my roommate's dog for a few months (she's studying abroad). She hates fireworks! I'm also giving her a sedative tonight, I though of turning up the tv too! Good idea The past few nights, a few random ones have ... More
Aww the poor baby. Sounds like my dogs! Just 1 goes off and they go nuts! And between the awful east-coast storms and the firecrackers, they've been so upset!

Good luck, and I hope those ideas work for you!
07/04/2012
Loriandhubby Loriandhubby
Unfortantly, my neighbor has no respect for the animals. Even his are freaked out by the loud bangs and he just laughs. We have taken ours to the old house to stay for a few hours. It is nice and quite down in the hollar
07/04/2012
Peggi Peggi
Quote:
Originally posted by Loriandhubby
Unfortantly, my neighbor has no respect for the animals. Even his are freaked out by the loud bangs and he just laughs. We have taken ours to the old house to stay for a few hours. It is nice and quite down in the hollar
How sad! I don't blame you for doing so!

Our neighbors a couple of houses down were doing the same, we actually called animal control on them last year and they were forced to stop setting them off, because one of the dogs injured herself

People can be so cruel!
07/04/2012
Rossie Rossie
Quote:
Originally posted by Peggi
Aww poor pup. We had to get some sedatives for ours as well, because we can't give them actual Valium (we have the 10mg ones), because we have a small dog, a medium dog and our biggest is only 80lbs so we had to buy the expensive stuff darn it! ... More
We gave ours the 5mg tablets, it's not really that effective and he's still a nervous wreck, but it's better than having nothing at all. My friend did suggest the "Thundershirt", but we felt it's kind of too warm for him to wear that in this kind of temperature. The poor baby's huddling on the kitchen rug right now, and the big illegal ones haven't even started to go off yet.

This year, I'm going to report those illegal fireworks once I hear them going off, can't take it anymore!
07/04/2012
Peggi Peggi
Quote:
Originally posted by Rossie
We gave ours the 5mg tablets, it's not really that effective and he's still a nervous wreck, but it's better than having nothing at all. My friend did suggest the "Thundershirt", but we felt it's kind of too warm for him to ... More
Yeah sadly we tried the 5mg too and we WANTED to give them 10 but the vet said that 10 would be like having them under anesthesia so I was really ticked off, I THINK the bigger dog would've been fine but we didn't wanna risk it, so we gave them the new stuff, and it barely worked!

I don't blame you, we live near a bunch of places that have the HUGE ones too, but sadly we can't report it because they're the professional shows

I feel so bad because the one who is scared the most is my bigger dog, and he's the one who we want stressed out the least, because he's the one with cancer, so I'm so mad that they're still going off outside!

Your poor baby! Maybe you can make him a fort of some kind, like with sheets and stuff, just so he feels like he has a little doggy cave! I did that for our smallest and she is huddled in there with her little butt sticking out
07/05/2012
Rossie Rossie
Quote:
Originally posted by Peggi
Yeah sadly we tried the 5mg too and we WANTED to give them 10 but the vet said that 10 would be like having them under anesthesia so I was really ticked off, I THINK the bigger dog would've been fine but we didn't wanna risk it, so we gave ... More
..."she is huddled in there with her little butt sticking out"

Oh gosh, you made me giggled even though we're talking about our traumatized babies here! When it's bad enough, my poodle will hide behind the lazyboy at the corner, he believes that's his safe spot.

So sorry your big boy has to go through all this!
07/05/2012
Peggi Peggi
Quote:
Originally posted by Rossie
..."she is huddled in there with her little butt sticking out"

Oh gosh, you made me giggled even though we're talking about our traumatized babies here! When it's bad enough, my poodle will hide behind the lazyboy at the ... More
Haha, it certainly did make me giggle as well, despite why she was under there! And whoever had her prior to us rescuing her had cut her tail (she is a jack russell/beagle mix, so apparently that's common) so every time I'd say her name, her little tail would wag but she stayed under there the whole night!

Poor little poodle, it's funny how they find places like that where they feel safe! Our medium sized dog does the same thing behind our lazyboy! She's done it since she was a pup!

My cat, on the other hand...this was her reaction to the whole event:

07/06/2012
Total posts: 11
Unique posters: 4