When do you start your Holiday shopping?

  • Get a FREE Bullet with Orders $59+

When do you start your Holiday shopping?

Alicia Alicia
I know it's only October but really the Winter Holidays are JUST around the corner. If you really think about it there's only 2 months and 9 days until Christmas, and less than 2 months until Hannukah. I know there are many other Holidays celebrated this time of year, but these are the two we personally celebrate with gifts..so they're the only ones on my radar at this point in the year!

A friend of mine starts for the next year in January. I personally don't start until October..then I start my planning but usually don't make many purchases until Black Friday. I like to be DONE by my December though. My husband would be perfectly ok waiting til the night before and then going out and buying gifts. So what's your usual Holiday shopping trend? Do you wait til last minute or are you done way ahead of time?


Do you make lists before hand or just wing it once you get to the store? I'm a bit of both. I make lists and budget things out and have a basic idea of what I want to buy, but inevitably there is something we find in the store that we have to have for one of the kids and so we buy that too and "budget" is just a joke since it's always blown.
10/16/2010
  • Buy 1 Toy, Get 1 FREE
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Add Some Buzz To Your Favourite Toy & Save 60% On Kit
  • Pick Any 2 E-Stim Toys, Get 60% Off A Kit
  • Stock Up On Gifts! Save 80%. Limited Quantity
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Envy Envy
I usually start shopping in Sep/Oct to get things done as I like to buy online usually, that way I have enough time for the stuff to be shipped and all. And I don't really make lists because when i ask what everyone wants, no one knows.

Looks like it might just end up being gift cards this year, though.
10/16/2010
Alicia Alicia
Quote:
Originally posted by Envy
I usually start shopping in Sep/Oct to get things done as I like to buy online usually, that way I have enough time for the stuff to be shipped and all. And I don't really make lists because when i ask what everyone wants, no one ...
Yea, I usually make lists for what I think people will like as I come up with the ideas, rather than going with what they've asked for. Rarely do any grown ups that I buy gifts for tell me what they want, and the kid... I take into consideration what they've told me they want and I try to get a few things straight from their wish lists..but really, sometimes momma knows best. I know they won't use half the crap they put on their wish list because while they're too young to see it I know that some of the stuff is just poorly made or won't do what they expect it too, and they're just victims of marketing.
10/16/2010
Kim! Kim!
I'm almost done.
I don't want to be worrying about final papers, projects, and exams and then realize that I still need to shop for my entire (massive) family.
10/16/2010
Envy Envy
Quote:
Originally posted by Alicia
Yea, I usually make lists for what I think people will like as I come up with the ideas, rather than going with what they've asked for. Rarely do any grown ups that I buy gifts for tell me what they want, and the kid... I take into consideration ...
True. i tend to buy useful things if possible. Clothes, underwear, etc etc. Growing up I now realize how important clothes and things are and have actually asked for such things myself. Yet strangely... no one bought me any socks or underwear for my birthday when i really needed some! Yet when i DON'T want/need any, they buy me some!
10/16/2010
Alicia Alicia
Quote:
Originally posted by Envy
True. i tend to buy useful things if possible. Clothes, underwear, etc etc. Growing up I now realize how important clothes and things are and have actually asked for such things myself. Yet strangely... no one bought me any socks or underwear for my ...
Yes, I like to get useful things too..but my husband is the complete opposite! He thinks gifts should be fun things and should be "wants" and not "needs". But you know I would be thrilled if people bought me things that I need for Christmas because that's less money I then have to spend on those things! We compromise with the kids by getting them socks and underwear if they're "fun" ones. So, no plain white socks and undies but if they're cool ones then that's ok! lol
10/16/2010
Alicia Alicia
Quote:
Originally posted by Kim!
I'm almost done.
I don't want to be worrying about final papers, projects, and exams and then realize that I still need to shop for my entire (massive) family.
Oh yea, the end of semesters do tend to line up with that time of year too! Yea, I'd be getting mine done early then too!
10/16/2010
cherryredhead88 cherryredhead88
My son was born on December 28th, which makes me sad because that means his birthday is 3 days after Christmas. I feel like he's getting jipped because he doesn't get to have a party in the middle of the year! So I have started just gathering things all year round, since I have a double whammy! For other people I will wait until November/December. My family isn't that big so I don't have a lot of people to buy for.

I don't know what I'm going to do when my son is old enough to realize the whole presents things, though. Now I just let him play with them for a minute before I put them away in the closet, lol. him!
10/16/2010
Kim! Kim!
Quote:
Originally posted by cherryredhead88
My son was born on December 28th, which makes me sad because that means his birthday is 3 days after Christmas. I feel like he's getting jipped because he doesn't get to have a party in the middle of the year! So I have started just gathering ...
Mine son's birthday is the 27th. Last year my step mom and sisters left for Hawaii the day after Christmas so I had his party nearly two weeks after his birthday so that they could be there. I liked that better and I might continue doing that until he objects. (He'll be 5 this year.)
I've also heard of people doing half birthday parties, especially if they live in an area where it gets cold and snowy (like me). Then the kids can have parties with friends and they can do it outside rather than crowd into a home.
10/16/2010
ToyGeek ToyGeek
I bought the last Christmas gift that needed buying just this morning. I started in June.
10/16/2010
ZenaidaMacroura ZenaidaMacroura
I am a huge procrastinator, so I usually wait until a couple of days before Christmas. It's super stressful, but that's what always happens. Haha.
10/16/2010
Bunnycups Bunnycups
I try to start Christmas shopping earlier because I hate crowded and mobbed stores and parking lots. Also I try to make home made gifts so I need the extra time. I started thinking of Christmas gifts in the summer. Started buying last week.
10/16/2010
Alicia Alicia
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyGeek
I bought the last Christmas gift that needed buying just this morning. I started in June.
Holy cow! I wish I could be done already..it'd make the season so much less stressful!
10/16/2010
Alicia Alicia
Quote:
Originally posted by cherryredhead88
My son was born on December 28th, which makes me sad because that means his birthday is 3 days after Christmas. I feel like he's getting jipped because he doesn't get to have a party in the middle of the year! So I have started just gathering ...
My son's bday is in December too, though not quite as close as yours. It is a bummer that he doesn't get a party in the middle of the year, but his brother's birthday is in March and we normally do something that all the kids like for each kid's b-day so even though it's not HIS birthday he does get to have fun at a party in March.

It sucks because my mom of all people usually waits to give him his birthday gift with his Christmas gift..so it doesn't feel as special.
10/16/2010
P'Gell P'Gell
I start to panic around the 19th of December. Then I go on an internet spree and try to get it all done at once.

I used to love Christmas shopping, but in the last 10 years or so it is just a pain in the ass.

I try to do as much of it at Amazon as possible. I also do some on Christmas Eve. We have an antique shop near our house, and I go there and to Target to get last minute things.

Our family has a lot of October birthdays, so I did some shopping today for our youngest baby, and My Man has his birthday at the end of the month and I never know what to get him. "Here, Sweetie, here's a Fliphole." Maybe that would be it this year. The Man is hard to buy for.
10/16/2010
Madeira Madeira
I start fairly early, october/november-ish
10/16/2010
Sir Sir
I'm starting to think of gifts now, actually. I may purchase them soon, but I start thinking on what I will buy, and who I will buy for, around this time.
10/16/2010
Danielle1220 Danielle1220
I already have my kids' stuff on layaway...since the end of september. So yes I start early.
10/18/2010
Tori Rebel Tori Rebel
I start in August or September for financial reasons and I'm ridiculously organized - I have a list on my computer, organized by person with 4 levels of color coding to indicate whether it's something to be purchased, something purchased and shipped, in my possession, or already wrapped.
10/18/2010
VampKitty VampKitty
I kinda shop all year round for gifts for family but that is more for birthdays.

I have a big family so we do a secret Santa type thing between us 5 girls. And my sisters kids have their own secret Santa(5 of them, 6 in Jan.). Then us girls all pitch in for gifts for our parents.

So we aren't able to start shopping for each other until end of Nov. because of birthdays being around the holidays. We have to make sure that someone doesn't have what we are planing yet.
10/18/2010
NuMe NuMe
For the most part, I don't start my shopping until about 2 weeks before Christmas.
10/18/2010
Alicia Alicia
Quote:
Originally posted by Tori Rebel
I start in August or September for financial reasons and I'm ridiculously organized - I have a list on my computer, organized by person with 4 levels of color coding to indicate whether it's something to be purchased, something purchased and ...
I do this too! With the color coding. I have so far just ones for bought, layaway, and for still need to buy. I'll have to eventually include one for being wrapped!
10/18/2010
Alicia Alicia
Quote:
Originally posted by VampKitty
I kinda shop all year round for gifts for family but that is more for birthdays.

I have a big family so we do a secret Santa type thing between us 5 girls. And my sisters kids have their own secret Santa(5 of them, 6 in Jan.). Then us girls ...
I wish my family would do a secret santa type thing. It'd be sooo much easier!
10/18/2010
Pleasure Piratess Pleasure Piratess
No shopping until day after thanksgiving... although I may pick up things all during the year if I find a really good deal on something I was hoping to get anyway, but that doesn't happen too often.
10/18/2010
Red Vinyl Kitty Red Vinyl Kitty
I start shopping for my husband in about september or so. We do family shopping together usually in November or December.
10/18/2010
P'Gell P'Gell
Quote:
Originally posted by Tori Rebel
I start in August or September for financial reasons and I'm ridiculously organized - I have a list on my computer, organized by person with 4 levels of color coding to indicate whether it's something to be purchased, something purchased and ...
You should do this for a living, Tori. I guess a lot of rich people actually pay for others to do their shopping for them.

You are really organized. I toss things into various piles and always lose at least a couple of presents by Christmas. I organize my sex life by color coding (it impresses my GYNE if no one else) but my shopping is an other story.
10/18/2010
Tori Rebel Tori Rebel
Quote:
Originally posted by P'Gell
You should do this for a living, Tori. I guess a lot of rich people actually pay for others to do their shopping for them.

You are really organized. I toss things into various piles and always lose at least a couple of presents by Christmas. ...
LOL, yeah I'm sometimes a little TOO organized...from my shopping to my insane coupon-ing to even the way I do my day job
10/18/2010
Jul!a Jul!a
I start picking up little things here and there throughout the year. I start trying to do more serious shopping between September and the beginning of December, and all the last minute stuff the weeks before Christmas. But this year I'm getting married a week after Christmas, so I'll be busy doing all the last minute stuff for my wedding and have to make sure I get all my Christmas shopping out of the way early, lol
10/18/2010
Jobthingy Jobthingy
I am horrible and normally dont start until December. I also have a close to christmas daughter (she is the 16th) so I have to sort out what is xmas, what is birthday and it makes me a little nutty.

I also work in retail and in fact last night we were at work until 1230am putting out all the xmas decorations. This makes me crazy because we have to see it for so long.
10/18/2010
Sera Sera
Quote:
Originally posted by Alicia
I know it's only October but really the Winter Holidays are JUST around the corner. If you really think about it there's only 2 months and 9 days until Christmas, and less than 2 months until Hannukah. I know there are many other Holidays ...
I kind of do it all year. I just pick things up as I see them and save them for birthdays and Christmas.
10/26/2010
  • 1
  • 2
Total posts: 45
Unique posters: 32