Female Rappers - what do you think?

surreptitious surreptitious
So I've been listening to Jean Grae all day whilst cleaning, and thinking about female rappers. I don't listen to a lot of female singers, but one thing that I really respect is women who can rap. That being said, one of the things that I dislike the most in the music industry are women who /can't/ rap and insist on doing so anyways (Lady Sovereign) or who turn it into disgusting autotuned pop (I'm looking at you, Nicki).

Good female rappers are a lot harder to find, not only because there are fewer of them but also because there are so many terrible ones that it makes it harder for the good ones to actually become famous. So are you a fan of Missy, Eve, MC Lyte from way back in the day or someone else? If you don't listen to rap at all, or enough to form an opinion, then tell me about your perception of the genre! Having perspectives from outside observers would be great.
04/28/2013
  • Get 3 amazing toys for $60 only
  • Black Friday Cyber Monday 70% Clearance
  • Black Friday Cyber Monday 50% Clearance
  • Black Friday Cyber Monday 40% Clearance
  • Black Friday Cyber Monday 25% Clearance
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
married with children married with children
I have not heard a female rapper for years. are they still around?
04/28/2013
surreptitious surreptitious
Quote:
Originally posted by married with children
I have not heard a female rapper for years. are they still around?
I feel like they are, but they just never make it to "mainstream" the same way that male rappers do.
04/28/2013
talon4196 talon4196
I don't listen to rap. Not for me.
04/28/2013
surreptitious surreptitious
Quote:
Originally posted by talon4196
I don't listen to rap. Not for me.
Would you mind answering the question that I posed of those who don't listen to rap? I made sure to include something for those who don't and I'm sure that you have much more to say than that you don't listen.
04/28/2013
Kitka Kitka
I am a fan of some of Missy, Eve, Lil Kim and a few others' music. Sad to see that there are so many terrible ones around these days like Nicki Minaj.
04/28/2013
PeaceToTheMiddleEast PeaceToTheMiddleEast
I like the old school rap from Eve, Missy, Lil Kim. I can't stand Nicki Minaj. There is a new girl out now that I am feeling and she is rapping about her real life story her parents were mad and the family were mad at her for it but they got over it. On 106 & Park she said she rather be singing about true life stuff then bitches and hoes and I respect her for that. Her name is Kat Dahlia. I have not purchased a CD in a long time but I am really considering getting hers.

Oh and I can't forget Foxy Brown.
04/28/2013
eri86 eri86
Not a huge fan or rap.
04/29/2013
surreptitious surreptitious
Quote:
Originally posted by eri86
Not a huge fan or rap.
I had a question for you in the first post, if that's the case. I'd love if you answered it. =)
04/29/2013
Gone (LD29) Gone (LD29)
I'm not a big fan of rap either, but I see female rap artists in the same light I see female heavy metal artists. It is for some reason incredibly hard for the good ones to gain any credibility and be seen as more than a novelty act on a male-artist-heavy tour or festival. I find it sad. Like you said, there are a lot of less than ideal offerings out there, but there are also a lot of women in these genres who are really talented and making some great music. They deserve to be heard.
04/29/2013
Gary Gary
I like some, I almost played a show with this one female rapper whose name was (Strawberry) but spelled weird. She had to cancel at the last minute due to travel. I was really excited to see her though, it was my understanding that she was doing sort of a horror / porn themed style.
04/29/2013
Gary Gary
Don't forget about Peaches
04/29/2013
surreptitious surreptitious
Quote:
Originally posted by Gone (LD29)
I'm not a big fan of rap either, but I see female rap artists in the same light I see female heavy metal artists. It is for some reason incredibly hard for the good ones to gain any credibility and be seen as more than a novelty act on a ... More
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer despite the fact that you don't really listen! I greatly appreciate it.

I haven't been listening to a lot of metal lately, but you're absolutely right that females have a much tougher time "making it" in that genre as well. On a tangent, one of my favorite music tricks used to be to play my friends something by Arch Enemy and then show them a picture of tiny little Angela Gossow. That girl has a crazy set of pipes.
04/29/2013
surreptitious surreptitious
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary
I like some, I almost played a show with this one female rapper whose name was (Strawberry) but spelled weird. She had to cancel at the last minute due to travel. I was really excited to see her though, it was my understanding that she was doing sort ... More
One of my favorite (though non-rap) female artists with good stage presence is Emilie Autumn. She and her dancers do burlesque stage shows while she sings, and they have such a fantastic costume wardrobe that I would probably never be able to pick a single outfit to wear.
04/29/2013
CS2012 CS2012
Quote:
Originally posted by surreptitious
So I've been listening to Jean Grae all day whilst cleaning, and thinking about female rappers. I don't listen to a lot of female singers, but one thing that I really respect is women who can rap. That being said, one of the things that I ... More
I had no idea their were any female rappers since I don't listen to rap.
05/02/2013
apple4me apple4me
We just need more female musicians in general. Sure we have soul, pop, country, and some other genres covered. But there is a obvious lack of female heavy metal or rap singers in the main stream music biz. Its sad really.
05/09/2013
bratcat bratcat
I'm a big lover and listener of comercial rap and hip-hop (as well as actual rap and hip-hop), and i respect any and all female artist in that game because misogyny is a big theme in a lot of commercial hip-hop, so when i hear Niki reclaim the word "bitch" and turn it into a positive i consider it a good thing for the genere.
05/09/2013
GONE! GONE!
Some are good, some are bad. I like Nicki Minaj and M.I.A.
05/09/2013
surreptitious surreptitious
Quote:
Originally posted by apple4me
We just need more female musicians in general. Sure we have soul, pop, country, and some other genres covered. But there is a obvious lack of female heavy metal or rap singers in the main stream music biz. Its sad really.
I really agree with this, and quite frankly, I don't even like most female vocalists. I feel like I can love the rawer, rougher singers (that's a generalization, but it's tricky to say exactly what it is that I like overall) - girls who really get into rock or metal or rap - but I'm just not a fan of many female vocalists outside of those genres, which is sad because there really aren't many for me to pick from. There are a couple of female pop vocalists that I don't mind, but even though I can appreciate someone's musical talent (like Beyonce or Adele), I still generally can't stand to listen to their music.
05/09/2013
sunkissedJess sunkissedJess
I used to really like Nicki Minaj when she did her mixtapes. Hollywood got to her, and she thinks she's a diva now.

I do like female rappers from back in the day though. Trina, Lil' Kim, Left Eye (from TLC), Missy Elliott, and Lauryn Hill!
05/09/2013
surreptitious surreptitious
Quote:
Originally posted by sunkissedJess
I used to really like Nicki Minaj when she did her mixtapes. Hollywood got to her, and she thinks she's a diva now.

I do like female rappers from back in the day though. Trina, Lil' Kim, Left Eye (from TLC), Missy Elliott, and Lauryn Hill!
I've actually never heard anything other than Nicki's pop, which I can definitely say I'm not a fan of. It's a terrible shame if she was once an excellent rapper and decided to conform, because if someone who spends so much time appearing to be unique can't actually be unique, there's not much hope for the rest of us.
05/09/2013
.kaycat .kaycat
Not really into rap
05/09/2013
Kallina Kallina
The 90s were pretty strong for female rap. That said, I've always enjoyed a great rap single. I seriously love Missy and Salt n Pepa. Lauryn Hill has a great voice to boot. Eve, Da Brat, Lil Kim, Left Eye, MC Lyte...yup 90s was a great decade for female rap.
05/09/2013
Total posts: 23
Unique posters: 15