Sexuality Books -- What's your pick for required reading?

Carrie Ann Carrie Ann
It's really great to get opinions for the SexIs staff and contributors but what about you? The reviewers and customers and general forum visitors? What title is your number one, must read sexuality book?
06/26/2009
  • Add More Pleasure to Your Collection! Buy 1 Vibe, Get 1 FREE
  • Better Price Sale - Save 50%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 70%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 60%
  • Better Price - Save 40%
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Boxers Over Briefs Boxers Over Briefs
Guide to Getting It On is definitely worth some attention. It's very thorough as well as entertaining. link
06/26/2009
Naughty Student Naughty Student
I have none right now but I do enjoy a book I review about sexual massage, its very spiritual and I'm really into that stuff. One day I will probably get the pink book on squirting that is getting many good review. Don't really know the title by heart though.
06/26/2009
Airen Wolf Airen Wolf
Since so many people are curious about threesomes and such I would say Tristan Taormino's "Opening Up" should be on the list somewhere. It is a very candid book about the joys and pitfalls of opening a relationship to safe, sane, responsible non-monogamy.
06/26/2009
Adriana Ravenlust Adriana Ravenlust
All my educational type books are BDSM related which I certainly couldn't recommend to everyone.. I don't even know. Maybe the Kama Sutra or a version of it?
06/26/2009
Boxers Over Briefs Boxers Over Briefs
Quote:
Originally posted by Adriana Ravenlust
All my educational type books are BDSM related which I certainly couldn't recommend to everyone.. I don't even know. Maybe the Kama Sutra or a version of it?
I'd love a good BDSM book, what would you recommend?
06/26/2009
Adriana Ravenlust Adriana Ravenlust
Quote:
Originally posted by Boxers Over Briefs
I'd love a good BDSM book, what would you recommend?
I haven't finished it yet but S&M101 is definitely, definitely, a book full of information in a no BS manner. It'd be best for those who are very new or just getting into BDSM but it wouldn't be a bad book for folks of all experience levels to have around just to page through now and again.
06/26/2009
DreamyLove DreamyLove
I recommend "Sex for One" by Betty Dodson to my friends who have never masturbated or are timid about it.
For BDSM books, I recommend "Screw the Roses" for intro, and "The New Topping", and "New Bottoming Book".
Local libraries sometimes have these books if you're near a metro area.
06/27/2009
Adriana Ravenlust Adriana Ravenlust
Quote:
Originally posted by DreamyLove
I recommend "Sex for One" by Betty Dodson to my friends who have never masturbated or are timid about it.
For BDSM books, I recommend "Screw the Roses" for intro, and "The New Topping", and "New Bottoming ... More
From my understanding of the new topping/bottom books - they reference SM101 a lot. Just get the original d=
06/27/2009
Queerest Queerest
Even though these books have already been mentioned, I would like to throw in another nomination for The Guide to Getting It On, Opening Up by Tristan Taormino, and The New Topping/Bottoming Books by Janet Hardy and Dossie Easton. Though these are all totally different books, they have all been invaluable to me. The Guide to Getting It On is a no-nonsense, fun approach to sexual instruction, while Opening Up offers tons of practical advice for those interested in (or already in!) nonmonogamous relationships of all types. The Topping/Bottoming Books were the first ones I read when I was discovering my interest in BDSM, and they served me well. I think they are a must-read for anyone interested in an introduction to kink.
02/10/2010
Queerest Queerest
Quote:
Originally posted by Adriana Ravenlust
I haven't finished it yet but S&M101 is definitely, definitely, a book full of information in a no BS manner. It'd be best for those who are very new or just getting into BDSM but it wouldn't be a bad book for folks of all experience ... More
I really, really didn't like S&M 101. It does tell a lot about a wide variety of kinks, but I just couldn't get over the way it is written. While I respect what he has to say, I don't like Jay Wiseman's writing tone at all!
02/10/2010
Casey Oh! Casey Oh!
Screw The Roses, Send Me The Thorns is a classic 'BDSM for beginners' resource. I personally loved it mostly because it focused on chemistry & attentiveness being the main ingredient for bdsm & role play scenarios, which definitely lends itself to all aspects of any romantic relationship.

Fetish Sex by Violet Blue is also pretty resourceful for beginner-to-intermedia te players.
02/15/2010
ScottA ScottA
For anal activities:

Jack Morin's Anal Pleasure and Health and Tristan Taormino's Ultimate Guide to Anal Sex for Women (not just for women!) would be the two I'd pick for the anal section.

I know there are some anal books that I haven't read, so this is by no means exhaustive.
02/15/2010
joja joja
For those interested in polyamory, swinging, or any other form of multiple partner play, The Ethical Slut is your bible.
06/16/2010
Ciao. Ciao.
The Good Vibrations Guide to Sex would definitely get my vote as a good choice for a general sex book, likely edging out The Joy of Sex for that same spot. It's more up to date, open-minded, and broader in scope than the parts I've seen of Joy of Sex (of which I admittedly don't own a copy but have perused a few times).
06/16/2010
Airen Wolf Airen Wolf
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Ann
It's really great to get opinions for the SexIs staff and contributors but what about you? The reviewers and customers and general forum visitors? What title is your number one, must read sexuality book?
Right now my must read How To book is Violet Blue's "Ultimate Guide to Felatio" because it's everything...and I mean EVERYTHING you will ever need to know about a blowjob to make your man WILD. She covers anatomy, technique, roleplay, how to blow a dildo everything! It also has some kick ass story snippits that make the book a-fucking-mazing!
06/21/2010
Miss Voluptuous Miss Voluptuous
Exhibitionism for the Shy by Carol Queen
Multi-Oragasmic Woman by Mantak Chia
Spectacular Sex by Annie Sprinkle
The Whole Lesbian Sex Book
The Soul of Sex by Thomas Moore
03/07/2011
Miss Morphine Miss Morphine
Opening Up- Tristan Taormino
Urban Tantra- Barbara Carrellas
I Love female Orgasm- Dorian Solot
03/11/2011
EJ EJ
For women, I think Sex for One: The Joy of Selfloving by Betty Dodson is a real asset. If a woman can become comfortable with her own body and conscious of what she likes and doesn't like, she'll have a much better chance of being able to convey her preferences to her partner(s) in a gentle, matter-of-fact, uncritical manner.
08/12/2011
Twitch Twitch
The Good Vibrations Guide to Sex & anything by tristan taormino.. and slightly related, the knotty boys guide
08/31/2011
Miss Morphine Miss Morphine
Quote:
Originally posted by Airen Wolf
Since so many people are curious about threesomes and such I would say Tristan Taormino's "Opening Up" should be on the list somewhere. It is a very candid book about the joys and pitfalls of opening a relationship to safe, sane, ... More
I would suggest this book for anyone in a relationship (poly or not). It's such a wonderful resource on communication with your partner(s).
08/31/2011
Total posts: 21
Unique posters: 15