Are you allergic to bees?

js250 js250
I am and need to carry an Epipen with me everywhere I go...I was wondering if you knew of anything to use to possible prevent getting stung--to remove bees from our porch areas --or--hints on taking care of stings.
06/07/2013
  • Weekly Special; Buy 1 Vibe, get 1 FREE
  • Save 15% on Luxury Brands
  • Annual Clearance - Save 30%
  • Buy Cascade vibe and save 50% on lubricants!
  • Save 20% on self-lubricating Cascade vibe and sleeve kit
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Kallina Kallina
Quote:
Originally posted by js250
I am and need to carry an Epipen with me everywhere I go...I was wondering if you knew of anything to use to possible prevent getting stung--to remove bees from our porch areas --or--hints on taking care of stings.
I've never been stung. I don't know why except I run in fear every time a bee gets too close. My neighbor is a beekeeper...so I don't know how long my good luck will last. I will spray around my porch though, especially if it's the wasp-type bees gathering there.
06/07/2013
never shy never shy
I am not allergic but I do get a pretty good sized bump when every I get stung. My dad puts onions on bee stings (just a small piece) Im not sure if it is just to get the stinger out or if it suppose to help with pain.
06/07/2013
PropertyOfPotter PropertyOfPotter
Growing up where I did, I've been stung several times throughout my life and never had anything other than a typical reaction to it.
06/07/2013
Boyfriend Boyfriend
not allergic
06/07/2013
Lildrummrgurl7 Lildrummrgurl7
I'm quite possibly allergic as many family members are but I've never been stung.
06/07/2013
Cosmonaut Cosmonaut
1. Avoid flowery perfumes, lotions, and soaps. Avoid wearing brightly colored clothing for this attracts bees.

2. Check out immunotherapy.

3. Purchase a bee keeper suit. If it isn't so stylish, bedazzle it...this is what I would do =)
06/08/2013
eri86 eri86
I was stung by a bee once. It hurt, but nothing happened, so I think not.
06/08/2013
kendra30752 kendra30752
Quote:
Originally posted by js250
I am and need to carry an Epipen with me everywhere I go...I was wondering if you knew of anything to use to possible prevent getting stung--to remove bees from our porch areas --or--hints on taking care of stings.
No. Bless your heart!

I have heard of remedies like using vinegar to keep em' away, but I don't remember if vinegar is something they like or dislike. Yikes!
06/08/2013
Virgingasms Virgingasms
I'm not but I recently dyed part of my hair and noticed bees seem to buzz around me more now. I guess that's in line with wearing bright colors.
06/08/2013
sunflower sunflower
Quote:
Originally posted by js250
I am and need to carry an Epipen with me everywhere I go...I was wondering if you knew of anything to use to possible prevent getting stung--to remove bees from our porch areas --or--hints on taking care of stings.
No. My mom is deathly allergic though.

Random tip for being stung: wet some tobacco (break open a non-menthol cigarette), squeeze a bit of the juice out and rub it on the sting. It will stop hurting and the swelling will go down. I mean that won't help if you need an Epipen, but it's a handy piece of information.
06/08/2013
FieryRed FieryRed
Quote:
Originally posted by Kallina
I've never been stung. I don't know why except I run in fear every time a bee gets too close. My neighbor is a beekeeper...so I don't know how long my good luck will last. I will spray around my porch though, especially if it's ... More
Wasps and bees are very different things. Bees pollenate plants and make honey, whereas some wasps help pollenate, but some eat other things. Please don't poison the bees, they're already fighting a losing battle!
06/08/2013
boxunderbed boxunderbed
No, I am not allergic to bees. I've only ever been stung once, though, and it was awful!
06/08/2013
ViVix ViVix
Quote:
Originally posted by js250
I am and need to carry an Epipen with me everywhere I go...I was wondering if you knew of anything to use to possible prevent getting stung--to remove bees from our porch areas --or--hints on taking care of stings.
I'm not. I did get stung about 3 days ago, and the swelling just went down today. It also turned my skin yellow, which is kind of unusual. My mom says a baking soda/water mixture is good for stings.
06/08/2013
Kallina Kallina
Quote:
Originally posted by FieryRed
Wasps and bees are very different things. Bees pollenate plants and make honey, whereas some wasps help pollenate, but some eat other things. Please don't poison the bees, they're already fighting a losing battle!
No, I'm very careful not to spray the neighbor's honey bees; he is kind enough to give us honey at the end of the season. His bees are smallish and really non-threatening. They honey they produce is better than any I've tried in the store (except for the stuff I brought back from the Caribbean).

We just spray the scary looking ones with long dangly legs. They look like minions from hell, and sort of act the same...very aggressive. There's also an all-black version of these bees. I'm pretty sure they're wasps but I'm not sure, except they look far more evil than honey bees or bumble bees. They like to try to build hives in the corners by our doors outside, and we don't want them getting in the house so we spray the corners up around the doors if they are building there.
06/08/2013
Pete's Princess Pete's Princess
Quote:
Originally posted by Cosmonaut
1. Avoid flowery perfumes, lotions, and soaps. Avoid wearing brightly colored clothing for this attracts bees.

2. Check out immunotherapy.

3. Purchase a bee keeper suit. If it isn't so stylish, bedazzle it...this is what I would do =)
Love #3.

I am very allergic. I just avoid bees. It has never been much of a problem. I keep Raid spray on hand. If one gets in the house, I zap them.
06/08/2013
KinkyKatieJames KinkyKatieJames
I've only been stung once and I did have a reaction.

All I was told was to avoid anything scented.
06/08/2013
GingerSpice GingerSpice
I've never been stung in my 30 years of life, but my dad is deathly allergic, so that means i could also be....so i'm always scared, lol
06/08/2013
gsfanatic gsfanatic
Nope, as I found out after mowing over a bees' nest. Good times...
06/08/2013
mpfm mpfm
I've been stung a handful of times and am not allergic. I love the suggestion above to bedazzle a bee keeper suit. LOL. You could pull that off, Js250.
06/09/2013
KimberlyFDR KimberlyFDR
I was stung quite a bit growing up (ah, country living) and never had any problems. Then, about four or five years ago, a wasp caused an allergic reaction in me. Turns out, I'm now allergic to stinging insects.I tend to avoid outdoor situations where there is a likelihood of contact. Don't wear perfumes and avoid areas where groups of stinging insects tend to gather. Keep the EpiPen handy, just in case, though.
06/09/2013
SincerelyHers SincerelyHers
I'm not sure if I'm allergic
06/09/2013
Total posts: 22
Unique posters: 21