Originally posted by
Tap water. Bottled water is pointless in most regions of the US. Tap water is also regulated because it's considered a transient water source. Bottled water isn't subject to any such regulations. Plus, it's much cheaper and easier.
Not ALL tap water is regulated. Much of it, especially "well water" has no form of regulation and causes disease and contamination regularly.
If your tap water is untreated and is taken from the water table in your front yard and has chemicals, bacteria, and other pathogens in it, like ours is, you are MUCH MUCH safer with bottled water. I've never gotten sick from bottled water. Myself and my family and our entire neighborhood got a form of E Coli poisoning some years ago, and several children ended up in the hospital. A baby on formula (whose brilliant
and selfless parents
were already drinking bottled water themselves but making the powdered formula from the tainted tap water) nearly died from the infection. This is NOT uncommon in the US.
Most of the United States has unsafe tap water. It's a myth that most tap water is "safe." Even treated tap water is loaded with fluoride and chlorine and all manner of nasty stuff. The crap they load water with isn't much better than the pathogens in untreated water. (Marginally better, but there are certainly better alternatives to daily drinking chemicals you don't need, like fluoride and chlorine.) I can't even drink chlorinated water, it's disgusting, it's like drinking Clorox. Plus, fluoride is a known poison (a small tube of toothpaste has enough fluoride in it to kill a toddler) and shouldn't be taken internally.
I ONLY drink water, I rarely have anything else to drink, and I value my health, so the I put as much thought into the water I drink as I do into the food I eat.