Do you know the difference between diameter and circumference?

PropertyOfPotter PropertyOfPotter
Quote:
Originally posted by Ansley
Example?
link

link

link

And others. I don't have time to go through all of my reviews to show you. Many are glass toys, which makes sense to a small degree, but many aren't.
Jan 8, 1:43 pm
Edeneve Edeneve
Quote:
Originally posted by PropertyOfPotter
link

link

link

And others. I don't have time to go through all of my reviews to show you. Many are glass toys, which makes sense to a small degree, but many aren't. ... More
great examples of what I was talking about.
Jan 8, 2:18 pm
Ansley Ansley
Quote:
Originally posted by PropertyOfPotter
link

link

link

And others. I don't have time to go through all of my reviews to show you. Many are glass toys, which makes sense to a small degree, but many aren't. ... More
A quarter of an inch difference is not something I would bother mentioning, however on the glass an inch difference is notable. The crop is a little bit different as I don't know where you or the mfg. took the measurements from -- they may have included the length of the wrist strap, or not.
Jan 8, 2:24 pm
charmedtomeetyou charmedtomeetyou
The first two products have the 1:1 real size thingie on the bottom of the listing. I tend to use that if it's there, more than just reading the written numbers and attempting to visualize it myself.
Jan 8, 2:52 pm
dv8 dv8
Quote:
Originally posted by Ansley
This is very true. It really does depend on the manufacturer. Again, for me, size really isn't an issue until we get over 6" in circumference. If it's thicker than a coke can, then we have problems. LOL
If you don't like Coke cans, SquarePeg has a new silicone dildo molded from a beer bottle.
Jan 8, 3:27 pm
Rossie Rossie
Quote:
Originally posted by charmedtomeetyou
The first two products have the 1:1 real size thingie on the bottom of the listing. I tend to use that if it's there, more than just reading the written numbers and attempting to visualize it myself.
Oh yes, Eden's "View actual product size" tool is a lifesaver!
Jan 8, 3:48 pm
Sincerely Yours, N Sincerely Yours, N
Quote:
Originally posted by charmedtomeetyou
The first two products have the 1:1 real size thingie on the bottom of the listing. I tend to use that if it's there, more than just reading the written numbers and attempting to visualize it myself.
I love that tool. It's a lifesaver!
Jan 8, 4:20 pm
PropertyOfPotter PropertyOfPotter
Quote:
Originally posted by Ansley
A quarter of an inch difference is not something I would bother mentioning, however on the glass an inch difference is notable. The crop is a little bit different as I don't know where you or the mfg. took the measurements from -- they may have ... More
No matter how I measured the crop, the measurements weren't the same, so it is important to note. And I would think any difference should be noted, no matter how small unless it's too small to really tell the difference. If the information is off, it's off.
Jan 8, 7:55 pm
YvetteJeannine YvetteJeannine
Quote:
Originally posted by Rossie
Here are the correct answers -

Diameter is the length of a straight line through the center of an object (such as a circle).

Circumference is the complete distance around the outside of a circle.

Thank you for your ... More
Thanks! That's actually a very useful bit of info. that perhaps not many even think about (especially when writing reviews). Very good!!
Jan 8, 8:35 pm
dv8 dv8
Quote:
Originally posted by YvetteJeannine
Thanks! That's actually a very useful bit of info. that perhaps not many even think about (especially when writing reviews). Very good!!
Do people just not understand pi?
Jan 9, 6:53 pm
eri86 eri86
An easy trick to remember which is which is that circumference is for circle, as in around. They both start with 'CIR'.
Jan 10, 1:46 pm
Rossie Rossie
Quote:
Originally posted by eri86
An easy trick to remember which is which is that circumference is for circle, as in around. They both start with 'CIR'.
Yep, that's a good way to remember it.
Jan 10, 4:03 pm
dv8 dv8
Quote:
Originally posted by eri86
An easy trick to remember which is which is that circumference is for circle, as in around. They both start with 'CIR'.
The following bits of 6th-grade math should be common knowledge, making that trick unnecessary:

circumference = pi * diameter

and

A = pi * r^2
Jan 10, 5:21 pm
Rossie Rossie
Quote:
Originally posted by dv8
The following bits of 6th-grade math should be common knowledge, making that trick unnecessary:

circumference = pi * diameter

and

A = pi * r^2
I'm lazy, so I just look them up at Online Conversion. But, when I need to get the actual measurements of my toys, I use tape measures and rulers.
Jan 10, 6:34 pm
Ansley Ansley
Quote:
Originally posted by Rossie
I'm lazy, so I just look them up at Online Conversion. But, when I need to get the actual measurements of my toys, I use tape measures and rulers.
Fabric or metal tape measures?
Jan 13, 3:03 pm
Rossie Rossie
Quote:
Originally posted by Ansley
Fabric or metal tape measures?
I use the fabric ones to measure circumference.
Jan 13, 3:10 pm
Ansley Ansley
Quote:
Originally posted by Rossie
I use the fabric ones to measure circumference.
Good deal. I had to find out the hard way. LOL Oh the joys of being new to reviewing.
Jan 14, 12:02 pm
dv8 dv8
Quote:
Originally posted by Ansley
Good deal. I had to find out the hard way. LOL Oh the joys of being new to reviewing.
If you only have a metal tape measure, you can use a piece of string or a strip of paper to measure the circumference then use the tape measure to measure the string/paper.
Jan 14, 4:18 pm
Ansley Ansley
Quote:
Originally posted by dv8
If you only have a metal tape measure, you can use a piece of string or a strip of paper to measure the circumference then use the tape measure to measure the string/paper.
I did that a few times and after losing the string half a dozen times I just went out and bought a fabric tape measure.
Jan 14, 4:22 pm
dv8 dv8
Quote:
Originally posted by Ansley
I did that a few times and after losing the string half a dozen times I just went out and bought a fabric tape measure.
If you're ever in an Ikea store, grab a stash of their free paper tape measures.
Jan 14, 6:24 pm
Ansley Ansley
Quote:
Originally posted by dv8
If you're ever in an Ikea store, grab a stash of their free paper tape measures.
Oooh good call. Will do.
Jan 15, 11:37 am
PadoruLover PadoruLover
Quote:
Originally posted by charmedtomeetyou
Really? I prefer diameter, I guess it's just opinion.
I'm the same.
Jan 24, 12:13 am
SaucyxGirl SaucyxGirl
Quote:
Originally posted by Ansley
Example?
Doc Johnsons Man'O War is another example. D.J. site lists 6.28" circumference and many sites who list is have stated that its maximum circumference at its thickest is in the same range. Yet my own comes in at its thickest as a just a tad bit below 7" (measurement was taken directly below head)
Jan 24, 12:31 am
Edeneve Edeneve
Quote:
Originally posted by Sincerely Yours, N
Psh, I'm not trying to talk the world into my point. I'm just expressing my opinion, and all are free to disagree.


I feel like bringing out an example to better illustrate my point.

Dildo A: A perfectly circular dildo with a ... More
these are great examples. I have found similar discrepancies.
Jan 25, 1:26 pm
ryansex ryansex
This is the weirdest thread I have ever seen.
Feb 20, 10:48 pm
Edeneve Edeneve
Quote:
Originally posted by Ansley
As evidenced in other posts on this thread, the differences are due to where you measure the toy. Manufacturers will pick the widest or the thinnest part to measure for their info.
if there's much of a difference in girth, I include the smallest & largest measurements. otherwise, how does someone know the real girth?
Feb 21, 11:54 am
Edeneve Edeneve
Quote:
Originally posted by ryansex
This is the weirdest thread I have ever seen.
ha, you haven't seen weirdest yet.
Feb 21, 11:56 am
  • 1
  • 2
Total posts: 57
Unique posters: 16