Do you know what your purpose in life is...or are you still searching for it?

js250 js250
Many of us believe we are put on this earth for a purpose, a specific job. Once we have completed that job, then our time is up...or we are given a new purpose or job.

--Have you found your purpose or job?
--Are you wondering what your purpose or job is?
--What advice do you have for others?
05/04/2013
  • Buy 1 Vibrator Get 1 FREE
  • Limited offer: Save 25% on Blush Toys
  • Better Price - Save 40%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 50%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 60%
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
spiced spiced
I believe it's up to each of us to define our life's mission. Mine is to be happy, then to make the people I love happy and then to make other living beings happy (or at least to reduce their suffering).

My advice for anyone who doesn't have a purpose for their life is to choose/create it. Nobody else is going to create it for you.
05/04/2013
FieryRed FieryRed
Quote:
Originally posted by spiced
I believe it's up to each of us to define our life's mission. Mine is to be happy, then to make the people I love happy and then to make other living beings happy (or at least to reduce their suffering).

My advice for anyone who ... More
Oh, I'd say there are plenty of other people who'd like to create it for you! But letting someone else choose for you is much less likely to make you happy. If you aren't happy, how can you fulfill your chosen purpose, or help make those around you happy?

I have finally discovered my purpose, in general, and that is to have a career in which I can help change our society for the better, even if only in small ways. I've learned that most of huimanity's ills are caused by misunderstanding, lack of knowledge, and a lack of empathy, so I intend to help people understand each other better--especially people who are very different.
05/04/2013
HoneyBear69 HoneyBear69
still looking
05/04/2013
sunflower sunflower
I've got a rough idea of what it is. I'm still in the process of figuring out how I should actualize it.
05/04/2013
spiced spiced
Quote:
Originally posted by FieryRed
Oh, I'd say there are plenty of other people who'd like to create it for you! But letting someone else choose for you is much less likely to make you happy. If you aren't happy, how can you fulfill your chosen purpose, or help make those ... More
Yeah, you're right. Other people may try to tell you what your life's supposed to be about. I guess my dad did that. And you're also right that you'll be happier choosing your own path. I also like what you say about understanding and empathy being the core of healing the world, and that you're doing something about it. Rock.
05/05/2013
Cosmonaut Cosmonaut
I think I am supposed to do something with marine biology/mammals, particularly cetaceans (whales, dolphins, porpoises).

~I was born with a whale-shaped birth mark on my left rib cage.
~My favorite movie since childhood was The Little Mermaid.
~My last name means the sea.
~I am a water sign.
~I have always loved the beach and going to Sea World/other aquariums.
~When I take pics of the sky (sunset/sunrise) there always seems to be an orca-shaped cloud..which I never noticed but my mom noticed when I sent her the pics.

I haven't done anything to go down that path but I probably should. I don't really have advice for others since I am still trying to figure things out myself. I guess just keep swimming.
05/05/2013
SourAppleMartini SourAppleMartini
I believe that my existence is to somehow guide/influence lives of other people. Because quite frankly, nothing ever works out for me whether it is love,friendship, career or something else.So I probably just exist forthe sake of other people.
05/05/2013
eri86 eri86
I'm still figuring out what to do with myself.
05/05/2013
purpleflower1972 purpleflower1972
Not a clue honestly. Which is sometimes fun and sometime scary
05/05/2013
TdotY TdotY
Still working on it.
05/05/2013
bog bog
Quote:
Originally posted by js250
Many of us believe we are put on this earth for a purpose, a specific job. Once we have completed that job, then our time is up...or we are given a new purpose or job.

--Have you found your purpose or job?
--Are you wondering what your ... More
I like to think that we each accomplish infinite beautiful things in our lives, not one pre-defined purpose.

At least, I hope that "being a supportive friend" is as much a part of my "purpose" as fostering rescue pets or cooking for someone I love!
05/05/2013
TJax TJax
I know what I would like to make my reason for being, but there are lots of obstacles between here and there, so it's tough to say "I've found my purpose" more like "I'm working towards my purpose"
05/05/2013
sunkissedJess sunkissedJess
I'm at a point in life where I'm constantly wondering what my purpose in life is, and if I even have one.
05/05/2013
Chilipepper Chilipepper
Fix my soul, because it's old, cynical, and scarred.

(WTF, I don't know where that came from. O_o )
05/05/2013
FieryRed FieryRed
Quote:
Originally posted by spiced
Yeah, you're right. Other people may try to tell you what your life's supposed to be about. I guess my dad did that. And you're also right that you'll be happier choosing your own path. I also like what you say about understanding and ... More
Thank you, Spiced! I was looking into the possibility of a medical career not too long ago, and in my research I came across a recommendation for a book called I Could Do Anything...If Only I Knew What It Was. I immediately ordered it (used on Amazon), and it's been SO helpful. It takes you through exercises designed to weed out all the things you've been made to feel like you're SUPPOSED to do with your life, and get down to what you really WANT to do.
05/06/2013
Total posts: 16
Unique posters: 14