How many people here have used a "Rotary Dial" phone? How about been on a "Party Line"?

Bignuf Bignuf
A rotary dial phone is one without buttons, just a dial you turn. A Party Line is not a call in "sex line" or even "chat" line at an 800 number, it is where you have more then one family on the same phone exchange. You might pick up your phone and hear the other peoples conversation, and then quietly hang up and wait till later to make your call. No kidding. That is the way it worked...for many Americans, and not that terribly long ago.

Anyone remember these?
Answers (public voting - your screen name will appear in the results):
I have used a rotary dial phone
cmm , peppermintgal , C&K0143 , wetone123 , Taylor , okno0 , Wicked Wahine , eri86 , Bignuf , CoffeeCup , Gunsmoke , HannahPanda , Jenn (aka kissmykitty) , Teaser , Thong man , tetherhand , Ansley , U3H
18
I have been in a home with a party line (not private line) phone service
wetone123 , eri86 , Bignuf , Trixxxy , Gunsmoke , Thong man , tetherhand , Ansley
8
Come on, such things existed?
Sincerely Yours, N , Trixxxy
2
Other?
KinkyKatieJames
1
Total votes: 29 (21 voters)
Poll is closed
08/28/2013
  • Weekly BOGO: Accessorize for Pleasure! Buy 1 Vibrator And Ge
  • Try a luxury harness with a dildo and save 45% on a kit!
  • Better Price - Save 40%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 50%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 60%
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
peppermintgal peppermintgal
I used a rotary phone as a kid.
08/28/2013
cmm cmm
My grandma used to have one when I was really young. They probably still have it.
08/28/2013
wetone123 wetone123
I've used a rotary phone but not in a while. When I lived in the country about 30 some odd years ago there was a party line.
08/29/2013
Taylor Taylor
My grandmother had a rotary phone, so I used it once or twice when I was little, but I think that's the only one I've ever seen. My stepmom told me about how they had a shared line when she was growing up on a farm in Nebraska, but I had no idea those existed before she told me that. She said about 10 families all shared the same line
08/29/2013
Wicked Wahine Wicked Wahine
I still own a rotary phone! The one from my bedroom in high school was an old fashioned style and quite pretty. It is still there and still works! Last time I used it a lot was back in 1985. I have never heard about a party line like that before.
08/29/2013
Sincerely Yours, N Sincerely Yours, N
Never. I don't have the slightest idea how to use them.
08/29/2013
Bignuf Bignuf
Quote:
Originally posted by cmm
My grandma used to have one when I was really young. They probably still have it.
Might be a real antique one day!!!
08/29/2013
KinkyKatieJames KinkyKatieJames
Other... I knew this existed, but have never had this experience.
08/29/2013
Bignuf Bignuf
Quote:
Originally posted by Sincerely Yours, N
Never. I don't have the slightest idea how to use them.
I love your honesty.
08/29/2013
Bignuf Bignuf
Quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Wahine
I still own a rotary phone! The one from my bedroom in high school was an old fashioned style and quite pretty. It is still there and still works! Last time I used it a lot was back in 1985. I have never heard about a party line like that before.
Even in the 1970's, a "Party Line" was the norm. A private phone line was a major expense. Not too many "blue collar" working households had one. I think "private lines" came into their own near the end of the 70's.
08/29/2013
Bignuf Bignuf
Quote:
Originally posted by KinkyKatieJames
Other... I knew this existed, but have never had this experience.
Ha...you didn't miss much!
08/29/2013
Trixxxy Trixxxy
I used a phone with a cord but idr if it was rotary or not
08/30/2013
Gunsmoke Gunsmoke
We had a party line at home - but that was before I used the phone. By the time I could use a phone it was a private rotary dial phone.

Since that time I've had every type of phone imaginable - except a satellite phone.
08/30/2013
Bignuf Bignuf
Quote:
Originally posted by Gunsmoke
We had a party line at home - but that was before I used the phone. By the time I could use a phone it was a private rotary dial phone.

Since that time I've had every type of phone imaginable - except a satellite phone.
I have a sat phone for doing cruises and whenever I am in any "exotic" location for fun or work. I am surprised how small they have become and how cheap they are to rent. $200 a week will get you all the bells and whistles, in a pocket size Iridium phone, and that includes an hour or so of talk time, and a voice mailbox. The only downside is that you have to be outside, although for that price they offer this little magnetic antenna with a short cord you can put out on a balcony or porch and stand by the door and use the phone inside. Reception is remarkably good. I spoke to family from mid ocean and was out in the deep forest of Yosemite and made a few calls with perfect "cell quality" reception. It takes a moment to connect, but once done, calls are perfect. You can rent them all over the place online.
08/31/2013
HannahPanda HannahPanda
Yes, I've used one before!
08/31/2013
Jenn (aka kissmykitty) Jenn (aka kissmykitty)
I'm 29 years old. I grew up with rotary telephones, then "regular" telephones with the cassette-tape-required answering machine and separate caller ID box; and finally, when I was a teenager, a cordless phone that offered caller ID capabilities.
09/01/2013
Teaser Teaser
I had a rotary phone when I was a kid, but we always had a private line, not a party line. I really wish I had that old rotary phone back right now. I bet that it would be worth a fortune!
09/01/2013
lana'sart lana'sart
Quote:
Originally posted by cmm
My grandma used to have one when I was really young. They probably still have it.
I had a grandparent that love it
09/01/2013
lana'sart lana'sart
Quote:
Originally posted by Teaser
I had a rotary phone when I was a kid, but we always had a private line, not a party line. I really wish I had that old rotary phone back right now. I bet that it would be worth a fortune!
maybe
09/01/2013
lana'sart lana'sart
Quote:
Originally posted by Jenn (aka kissmykitty)
I'm 29 years old. I grew up with rotary telephones, then "regular" telephones with the cassette-tape-required answering machine and separate caller ID box; and finally, when I was a teenager, a cordless phone that offered caller ID capabilities.
same here
09/01/2013
Thong man Thong man
I remember party lines at my grandparents house. They lived out in a rural area.
09/02/2013
Ansley Ansley
Quote:
Originally posted by Jenn (aka kissmykitty)
I'm 29 years old. I grew up with rotary telephones, then "regular" telephones with the cassette-tape-required answering machine and separate caller ID box; and finally, when I was a teenager, a cordless phone that offered caller ID capabilities.
Ditto! (Well, I'm 32, but yeah...)
09/04/2013
Total posts: 23
Unique posters: 16