I woke up with a runny nose

  • Get a FREE Bullet with Orders $59+

I woke up with a runny nose

Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Its officially cold season. I hope everyone fairs better than me. My boyfriend said everyone at work was sneezing and coughing.

I cant take cold meds like sudaffed and nyquil because i sets off anxiety attacks for me. What do you do to aid you through the common cold?
08/31/2011
  • Buy 1 Toy, Get 1 FREE
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Add Some Buzz To Your Favourite Toy & Save 60% On Kit
  • Pick Any 2 E-Stim Toys, Get 60% Off A Kit
  • Stock Up On Gifts! Save 80%. Limited Quantity
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Ansley Ansley
The best thing to do is sleep as much as you can and take vitamin C to boost your immune system. Soups are comforting and the steam helps. Lemon, hot tea and honey.

I hope you feel better soon! I got sick for the first time in fourteen years earlier this year and I just pushed myself through it because I had a ton of stuff going on at the time. Probably took me a couple of days longer than it would have to get over it if I had just slept.
08/31/2011
P'Gell P'Gell
I use zinc lozenges or zinc gel in my nose. (The gel was taken off the market, but I never had any problem with it and stocked up. You may still be able to find it.) I find the zinc shortens a cold and sometimes even prevents it from happening altogether if you get to it soon enough.

Also, saline nasal mist is really helpful.

LOTS of fluids, and you can fill a sink or bowl or container with hot water and put a few drops of rosemary oil in it. It loosens secretions, and helps unstuff things.

I know, I can't take cold meds with my meds for pain and OCD. I can take small amounts of Sudafed, but it makes me feel like crap, so I rarely ever take it, even when I'm miserable. I usually let a cold ride itself out with REST, fluid and a few home remedies.

For me, Vit C gives me diarrhea (pretty, right?) so I have to stay away from it.
08/31/2011
Illusional Illusional
P'Gell you know all the coolest tricks and tips.
08/31/2011
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Soup, fluids, zinc. Im already doing nasal spray since i have allergies that dry my nose out to the point of bleeding always. But the spray helps the swelling and i can breath again through my nose which is awesome. Thanks, i hate cold and flu season
08/31/2011
GenderSexplorations GenderSexplorations
Zinc and vitamin C. And soup. Soup always helps open things up. But the zinc really does help stop most colds in their tracks. You could also try those Emergen-C products, I know people who swear by them for getting better from a cold.
08/31/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
I just try to sleep for as long as I can.
08/31/2011
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
I just try to sleep for as long as I can.
I actually woke up at 630 with my boyfriend. Was on my ipad checking my email and woke up about 4ish hours later without realizing it. LOL so I think Im getting the sleep thing covered.
08/31/2011
EJ EJ
Like some of the other folks here have already mentioned, I drink a lot of hot tea and try to sleep as much as I can. I've also tried zinc, but it makes some people (including me) nauseated if I take it on an empty stomach. Hopefully it will just turn out to be a fluke runny nose, but if not, I hope you get back to feeling better soon.
08/31/2011
leatherlover leatherlover
I just woke up somewhat sick yesterday as well. After being up for 22 hours on Monday, I woke up with a sore throat and my nose was clogged. Tried to get good sleep last night, but the fire alarm at my hotel went off after 3 hours of sleep. Then I had to go down from the 16th floor. Like others have said, I try good sleep, and staying hydrated.
08/31/2011
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by EJ
Like some of the other folks here have already mentioned, I drink a lot of hot tea and try to sleep as much as I can. I've also tried zinc, but it makes some people (including me) nauseated if I take it on an empty stomach. Hopefully it will ...
Nah sadly it isnt a fluke. My boyfriend said everyone at work was getting sick because they just finished working on a big show. They were all working till like 2 am every day no days off than back up at like 7 am. So some where one of them got the cold and passed it to everyone else at the shop including my boyfriend. And he gave me it. He's gone through like 3 rolls of toilet paper, blowing his nose constantly. And 2 bags of cough drops. And I was fine till I woke up this morning than it was like flood gates of dripping and sneezing and coughing.

I hope it doesn't last long but I guess it has to run it's course. Usually though I will only get sick like this once or twice a year. So I guess I can't complain.

Thanks.
08/31/2011
P'Gell P'Gell
Quote:
Originally posted by Illusional
P'Gell you know all the coolest tricks and tips.
Thank you, sweetie. I know. I'm like everybody's Mama. Er.. I mean, slightly older Auntie...er.. sister....
08/31/2011
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by leatherlover
I just woke up somewhat sick yesterday as well. After being up for 22 hours on Monday, I woke up with a sore throat and my nose was clogged. Tried to get good sleep last night, but the fire alarm at my hotel went off after 3 hours of sleep. Then I ...
AWWWW! That sucks so much. I hope you feel better too. Try to sneak in some sleep somewhere.
08/31/2011
Naughty Student Naughty Student
I stock up on Purel and double on the hand-washing.

As soon as I feel I have a sort throat, I drink onion, garlic, and cayenne pepper tea then have some buckleys before going to bed. It will usually kill it off.

If I have the cold I still use the same tea and buckleys but I also have warm bath's with eucalyptus essential oil and spruce essential oil.
08/31/2011
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by Naughty Student
I stock up on Purel and double on the hand-washing.

As soon as I feel I have a sort throat, I drink onion, garlic, and cayenne pepper tea then have some buckleys before going to bed. It will usually kill it off.

If I have the cold I ...
A warm bath sounds amazing but I might have to wait till my boyfriends home, I might fall asleep in the tub. That is how out of it I feel right now. hahaha.
08/31/2011
Beck Beck
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
I just try to sleep for as long as I can.
Have to agree, Some may of noticed that Saturday I was not on EF, expect for a few min. I woke up sick as hell fever of 102 and could not get out of bed. All you can do is sleep as much as possible wrap up with a blanket and try to sweat out what you got. Works for me every time.
08/31/2011
Illusional Illusional
Quote:
Originally posted by P'Gell
Thank you, sweetie. I know. I'm like everybody's Mama. Er.. I mean, slightly older Auntie...er.. sister....
Thank you sis! Got any tips for super omega dry skin? I have lotion, but god..
08/31/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by Illusional
Thank you sis! Got any tips for super omega dry skin? I have lotion, but god..
Have you tried moisturizing with an oil maybe? I like the Shunga oils for my after shower moisturizer. And the Sensuous oil too. They're both light enough that you only feel "oily" for a short while but I don't end up with ashy skin like I would without anything. I go back and forth between these and the triple moisture cream from Bath and Body Works.
08/31/2011
Illusional Illusional
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
Have you tried moisturizing with an oil maybe? I like the Shunga oils for my after shower moisturizer. And the Sensuous oil too. They're both light enough that you only feel "oily" for a short while but I don't end up with ashy ...
Wait, Shunga sounds familiar. Are their products on here?
08/31/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by Illusional
Wait, Shunga sounds familiar. Are their products on here?
Yep! There's a whole bunch of their stuff on here. The massage oil makes a very nice moisturizer
08/31/2011
GravyCakes GravyCakes
i sit around & do the same things i always do till it's gone. although i do stop working out till it's gone.
08/31/2011
Tuesday Tuesday
I'll trade your cold for my stomach flu.
08/31/2011
K101 K101
I'm SO sorry! I'm in the exact same boat! I think it's like a huge thing. I know tons of people with it. I just had a nasty cough and felt decent all week, but got a bit stuffy and ill until today and all hell broke loose! My partner's had it badly too. I hate hate hate these things! I am like you, can't take anything for it! I am highly sensitive to all cold meds. Everytime I've taken them I end up seriously high! It sounds crazy, but I was in the hospital after the last time I tried cold meds and I'll never make that mistake again. I've had it happen many times and finally gave up all cold meds for good. Some reason, when I take them it also makes me not be able to pee no matter what for days! I mean it's like my bladder disappears. I had to have an IV just to freakin pee! Coconut oil and aloe vera pills are magical for this though. Only I'm out of my aloe! The coconut oil, I can't take right now because it's my time and for some reason it makes me want to gag around this time.

You can try liquor. My partner uses it and all kinds of drinks like honey and lemon stuff and it helps. Me, I just take my pain meds for endometriosis and one of my anxiety pills so I can sleep long and peacefully. The pain meds have been a miracle for this! Lol. I wouldn't have even made it through homework with the kids if it weren't for taking one today. I felt like I might pass out until I finally broke down and took one. Now, it's worn off and I'm feeling awful so when bed time comes I'll be taking an anxiety pill to sleep.
09/01/2011
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
I just coughed up a ton of bloody mucus. So much fun. Someone shoot me.
09/02/2011
Tuesday Tuesday
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
I just coughed up a ton of bloody mucus. So much fun. Someone shoot me.
You should see a doctor about that. It could be bronchitis or other things.
09/02/2011
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuesday
You should see a doctor about that. It could be bronchitis or other things.
My sister thinks I just irritated my throat when I coughed it up. Im gonna keep an eye on it and see if it happens again. Im gonna do my best not to cough and drink an insane amount of water.

Id be more worried if there was no mucus. But Im hoping its just drainage, I get a lot of bloody noses.
09/02/2011
Tuesday Tuesday
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
My sister thinks I just irritated my throat when I coughed it up. Im gonna keep an eye on it and see if it happens again. Im gonna do my best not to cough and drink an insane amount of water.

Id be more worried if there was no mucus. But Im ...
If you cough enough you can damage little blood vessels in your lungs. That's probably what happened.

Sadly, I have some experience with endless coughs that don't go away. You have my complete sympathy.
09/02/2011
EJ EJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
Nah sadly it isnt a fluke. My boyfriend said everyone at work was getting sick because they just finished working on a big show. They were all working till like 2 am every day no days off than back up at like 7 am. So some where one of them got the ...
Like you, I only tend to get sick a couple times of year, but when I do it usually kicks my butt for a couple of days. I try to think of it as a mandatory sleep vacation. Hope it's easing up a little at this point.
09/02/2011
Menarae Menarae
Ginger is wonderful for kicking colds. Brew some tea with slices of fresh ginger, and sweeten it to taste with honey and lemon. Or Cold FX. It's the active ingredient in ginger, just in a measureable doseage. The regular formula works, but three days on the Extra Strength with kill the cold dead. That's what I did with my last cold.

Also, sounds like your throat needs a little TLC, too. Zinc and echanaecia (spelling, anyone?) drops work wonders. Though the only ones I've found near me tasted terrible and were gritty...but they did the job, so I took 'em. And stay away from caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, and salt. They are all diuretics and will dry out your throat (and everything else, too.) Stay away from hot and cold drinks, too. Stick with warm. And if your throat's really bugging you, when you feel the need to cough, take little sips of air until the urge passes. Sometimes this works, other times it doesn't, for me anyway. Depends on the type of cough, I guess.

I hope you feel better soon!
09/03/2011
Rossie Rossie
Quote:
Originally posted by Menarae
Ginger is wonderful for kicking colds. Brew some tea with slices of fresh ginger, and sweeten it to taste with honey and lemon. Or Cold FX. It's the active ingredient in ginger, just in a measureable doseage. The regular formula works, but ...
You've almost got it right, it's echinacea

You're right, tea with lots of sliced ginger is great on colds. I personally drink packaged herbal medicines from Chinese pharmacies when I'm sick, they taste nasty but helps me recover much faster than regular over the counter stuff. Plenty of sleep speeds up recovery as well.
09/03/2011
Total posts: 30
Unique posters: 15