Kids school supplies...Is this cool or what?

  • Get a FREE Bullet with Orders $59+

Kids school supplies...Is this cool or what?

ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
For going back to school the supply list can be overwhelming, no?
This year my son's list was quite small, just tissues, glue sticks, some lose-leaf notebook paper and non-marking shoes. ??? huh. My daughter's was even smaller, shoes and pencils. At the orientation for school I asked the teacher about it, she proceeded to open a few drawers to show me all the supply's left over from last year.

To say I was shocked is a understatement!

Why don't other schools/teachers do this? With money being tight and a bad economy I wish all the schools/teachers would think ahead like this instead of just tossing all the old supply's out, like they seam to do.

So how about you, do you have a list from hell? Or does your kids school do this also? How about those that have to but theirs, AKA college students.

Please share.
09/03/2010
  • Buy 1 Toy, Get 1 FREE
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Add Some Buzz To Your Favourite Toy & Save 60% On Kit
  • Pick Any 2 E-Stim Toys, Get 60% Off A Kit
  • Stock Up On Gifts! Save 80%. Limited Quantity
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
PassionQT PassionQT
The non-marking shoes are so they don't scuff the gym floor with black streaks. Most schools ask for those.

My kids' lists included pretty much everything from composition books to crayons, so you got lucky! I still think it's a small price to pay for free education. I usually pick up a few things during the year that the teach will have on his/her wishlist when supplies do get low on basics such as tissues, dry erase markers, etc.. Even if the teacher had left overs of that stuff from the previous year, I doubt she would throw them away. That seems so wasteful!

I'm actually surprised they didn't ask for hand sanitizer this year! Maybe they installed those wall units?
09/03/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by PassionQT
The non-marking shoes are so they don't scuff the gym floor with black streaks. Most schools ask for those.

My kids' lists included pretty much everything from composition books to crayons, so you got lucky! I still think it's a ...
Did not see them but she had like 5 bottles in one of the drawers.
09/03/2010
Alicia Alicia
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim
For going back to school the supply list can be overwhelming, no?
This year my son's list was quite small, just tissues, glue sticks, some lose-leaf notebook paper and non-marking shoes. ??? huh. My daughter's was even smaller, shoes and ...
Here they send unused things home with the children who purchased them in the first place. Seems more fair to me actually. I'd hate to have bought items only for the next year's student to use them while the next year I go out and buy those same items again for my kid's next grade. A lot of the things the kids use every year..so it just makes sense to send leftovers that we bought home on the last day of school.
09/03/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by Alicia
Here they send unused things home with the children who purchased them in the first place. Seems more fair to me actually. I'd hate to have bought items only for the next year's student to use them while the next year I go out and buy those ...
Good point. That would make more sense.
09/03/2010
Alicia Alicia
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim
Good point. That would make more sense.
Only trouble is that it's hard to convince my daughter that the school supplies she gets back aren't hers for her art projects all summer. They get put in a bag and they wait until I get the list in August. She doesn't think it's fair since they're "hers" but I have to remind her that while they are "hers" they were bought my me and therefore their use is decided by me.
09/03/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by Alicia
Only trouble is that it's hard to convince my daughter that the school supplies she gets back aren't hers for her art projects all summer. They get put in a bag and they wait until I get the list in August. She doesn't think it's ...
We do the same with supply's they DO bring home, they have a lot of stuff already from grandparents and we make them use those.
09/03/2010
kck kck
The Book Store is an evil, evil place where books (both new and used) are waaay overpriced and bought back from students for pennies on the dollar. I only buy supplies from Amazon and half.com. I learned my lesson the hard way (Fall semester of Freshman year cost me over $400 in books alone!).
09/03/2010
Envy Envy
I don't have any kids, but when i was in college, eesh, the price of the books! D: I was lucky tho, I had a used textbook store right across the street from my college. The bad part is, by the time classes were done, a new book edition had come out so sometimes I wouldn't get anything back for turning my books back in!

I still have one of my books and a DVD set... I might donate it to the local library.
09/03/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
I never could understand the price of text books, I guess they know you will pay for them or something.
09/03/2010
Hot'n'Bothered Hot'n'Bothered
Ours was pretty manageable. DD just went into kindergarten and they do community supplies. Any left over gets rolled into the next year. With the exception of her backpack/lunch bag...we spent only about $10..
09/03/2010
Total posts: 11
Unique posters: 6