Learning a new language

  • Get FREE 5 Gifts with Orders $59+

Learning a new language

deltalima deltalima
I'm learning a new language and it's hard for me to retain and understand everything. Is there a technique that works for you? Any tips are welcomed
11/02/2012
  • Buy 3 Items for $70
  • Buy 3 Items for $50
  • Buy 3 Items for $30
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Add Some Buzz To Your Favourite Toy & Save 60% On Kit
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
ShadowedSeductress ShadowedSeductress
Turning anything into a song works for me!
11/02/2012
El-Jaro El-Jaro
Which language? Watching movies and listening to modern music in that language really helps.

"Run, Lola, run" and Rammstein helped me learn German in college. There was another movie called "Nieman liebst mich" that was pretty good too.
11/02/2012
indiglo indiglo
Immerse yourself in the language as much as you can. Like JR mentioned - TV, music & movies can help a LOT.

Find native speakers to speak with on a regular basis.

Practice talking to yourself in your target language (out loud) when you're at home. Say what you're doing and how you're doing it in your target language as you do it.

Using your target language as much as possible will help your brain form those new pathways and retain what you're learning.
11/02/2012
RonLee RonLee
I attended german language school (Goethe Institute) in germany for three months. Then went to a german university for a year. Immersion that's what worked for me.
Oh and try not to do translation. There are words that I don't really know or even care to know what it is in english but I know what it is in german. Translation is at least for me a completely different skill set than learning/knowing the second language.
11/02/2012
TWE112 TWE112
Quote:
Originally posted by indiglo
Immerse yourself in the language as much as you can. Like JR mentioned - TV, music & movies can help a LOT.

Find native speakers to speak with on a regular basis.

Practice talking to yourself in your target language (out loud) when ...
this
11/02/2012
deltalima deltalima
Quote:
Originally posted by El-Jaro
Which language? Watching movies and listening to modern music in that language really helps.

"Run, Lola, run" and Rammstein helped me learn German in college. There was another movie called "Nieman liebst mich" that was pretty good too.
I'm learning Tagalog. I'm listening to music but finding helpful movies are a bit harder.
11/04/2012
deltalima deltalima
Quote:
Originally posted by RonLee
I attended german language school (Goethe Institute) in germany for three months. Then went to a german university for a year. Immersion that's what worked for me.
Oh and try not to do translation. There are words that I don't really ...
Interesting advice about translation. Thanks.
11/04/2012
deltalima deltalima
Quote:
Originally posted by deltalima
I'm learning a new language and it's hard for me to retain and understand everything. Is there a technique that works for you? Any tips are welcomed
Thanks for the advice everyone
11/04/2012
bog bog
Quote:
Originally posted by deltalima
I'm learning a new language and it's hard for me to retain and understand everything. Is there a technique that works for you? Any tips are welcomed
Immersion! I'm studying one myself, and it's the only thing that works for natural prosody!
03/09/2013
jennifur77 jennifur77
Do whatever you can to learn the language. Find children's books in that language. It's amazing what it will do for your self confidence once you can read something -- even like "Cat in the Hat" in another language.
03/09/2013
Total posts: 11
Unique posters: 8