Ow, my hair

  • Get a Free Rabbit Vibe with Orders $59+

Ow, my hair

Jul!a Jul!a
So I have a problem about this time of year, and I have no idea what to do about it, short of pulling a Britney and shaving my head. I deliver car parts, and when it's cold out, the parts still need to get delivered, so I bundle up. Problem is between the hat, the scarf, and sometimes the back of my sweatshirt, the bottom layer of hair at the nape of my neck gets really tangled. Like I have to cut knots out of my hair. It happens whether I keep my hair down and have all of it under the scarf or pulled up in a bun or ponytail under the hat.

I wasn't sure if anybody else had any problems like this, or if kids did (bundling up for colder weather) and had any suggestions besides either not wearing the hat/scarf or shaving my head. I'm about out of ideas
12/07/2010
  • Buy 3 Items for $70
  • Buy 3 Items for $50
  • Buy 3 Items for $30
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Add Some Buzz To Your Favourite Toy & Save 60% On Kit
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Owl Identified Owl Identified
Get a Wynona Rider haircut!!!!
12/07/2010
Not here Not here
I've never tried this myself, but what if you were to wear a bandana or a headscarf on your head with your hair safely pulled up inside it, then put the hat and scarf on? I would imagine it would protect your hair from getting tangled, but since I've never tried it I really can't be sure. Don't go Britney on us, please!!
12/07/2010
Airen Wolf Airen Wolf
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
So I have a problem about this time of year, and I have no idea what to do about it, short of pulling a Britney and shaving my head. I deliver car parts, and when it's cold out, the parts still need to get delivered, so I bundle up. Problem is ...
Short of getting a really short haircut about the only thing you can do is frequently stop, unbundle, and brush your hair. You can try leaving some conditioner on the parts that knot (or heavy pomade) to allow the hair to slide better. That has worked for me but to be honest the only thing that really works is cutting off the parts that are tangling.
12/07/2010
Chilipepper Chilipepper
I braided mine when I lived up north.
12/07/2010
DeliciousSurprise DeliciousSurprise
What kind of hair do you have? Long? Short? Curly? Straight?
12/07/2010
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by DeliciousSurprise
What kind of hair do you have? Long? Short? Curly? Straight?
I totally didn't even think to include that, lol. It's a bit past my shoulders, and a bit wavy thanks to a perm earlier this year.
12/07/2010
Illusional Illusional
Quote:
Originally posted by Chilipepper
I braided mine when I lived up north.
My niece has thick long curly hair, and when she's out playing with the other kids it gets caught in trees. I started braiding it and clipping it to the side of her head, to avoid this. Her hat looks a little bulky but she enjoys it.
12/07/2010
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by Not here
I've never tried this myself, but what if you were to wear a bandana or a headscarf on your head with your hair safely pulled up inside it, then put the hat and scarf on? I would imagine it would protect your hair from getting tangled, but since ...
I've never even thought about that! When it's really cold I've wrapped the scarf around my head so it covers my ears a little better than just a hat would, but I'll definitely have to give the bandana a try
12/07/2010
Not here Not here
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
I've never even thought about that! When it's really cold I've wrapped the scarf around my head so it covers my ears a little better than just a hat would, but I'll definitely have to give the bandana a try
Let me know how it works out, darlin
12/07/2010
Bunnycups Bunnycups
Use peanut butter to get the knots out. When I was a kid I got silly puddy stuck in my hair and my mom used peanut butter to get it out.
12/07/2010
~LaUr3n~ ~LaUr3n~
Keeping your hair conditioned and hydrated will prevent tangles. I've never heard of something this severe before, so I'm not sure if something else is going on though.

Sometimes the simplest of products can be a help...try Tears no More detangler by Johnson and Johnson. My best friend and I have had long hair since we were kids and we swear by this stuff to keep our hair knot free even when my hair is down to my butt.
12/07/2010
~LaUr3n~ ~LaUr3n~
Quote:
Originally posted by Bunnycups
Use peanut butter to get the knots out. When I was a kid I got silly puddy stuck in my hair and my mom used peanut butter to get it out.
I would not do that for this lol. I used it on gum a few times, but I don't think this requires that route.
12/07/2010
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by Not here
Let me know how it works out, darlin
I will, I just gotta go find a bandana now, lol
12/07/2010
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by Bunnycups
Use peanut butter to get the knots out. When I was a kid I got silly puddy stuck in my hair and my mom used peanut butter to get it out.
Unfortunately, the knots aren't really workable. I mean, I could try, but it's easier for me to just grow the hair back, lol. I'm trying the preventative measures from now on, lol.

And actually, after cutting out that last knot, I'm not even sure there's enough hair left on that bottom layer to get tangled again. I'm sure I'll be proved wrong tho
12/07/2010
Carrie Ann Carrie Ann
Braids. It's the only thing that works for me.

The knots are a hazard of the bleach and dying, unfortunately.
12/07/2010
Beaners Beaners
This happens to me too. It SUCKS. I keep it in a low ponytail or bun, instead of up underneath the hat, and that seems to help.
12/07/2010
Victoria Victoria
Reallllly thick leave in stuff, like "Hair Food" and Cholesterol - it's cheap and your hair will not get knotty, just a little clumpy. It rebuilds the brittle hair and the residue washes out. Slather it on, put your hair on low pig-tails that have the ends tucked under so it makes a loop and put on a snug hat. Leave the snug hat alone all day, and layer on top of that.
12/07/2010
Alegria Alegria
Have you tried a leave in conditioner? I would bet your hair gets really unmanageable/dried out during the winter (that's what mine does). I twist all my hair, then wrap it around into a bun and secure it with a scrunchie or hairband. Hard to fit under a hat though.

Edit, Sorry Victoria! Didn't mean to steal your idea
12/07/2010
Jobthingy Jobthingy
My daughter has thick wavy hair and cannot stand brushing it because it hurts. It drives me crazy

I recently discovered Pantene for curly hair. It really has made a huge difference in the ability to brush them out at the end of the day.
12/07/2010
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Ann
Braids. It's the only thing that works for me.

The knots are a hazard of the bleach and dying, unfortunately.
I've noticed
12/07/2010
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by Victoria
Reallllly thick leave in stuff, like "Hair Food" and Cholesterol - it's cheap and your hair will not get knotty, just a little clumpy. It rebuilds the brittle hair and the residue washes out. Slather it on, put your hair on low ...
I'll have to look for that stuff. And also a snug hat. I've noticed that all the turning I do of my head to check for traffic and such rearranges my hat all day long too. I suspect this is partially responsible for all the knots...
12/07/2010
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by Alegria
Have you tried a leave in conditioner? I would bet your hair gets really unmanageable/dried out during the winter (that's what mine does). I twist all my hair, then wrap it around into a bun and secure it with a scrunchie or hairband. Hard to fit ...
I'm horrible at remembering to put stuff in my hair after the shower, lol. I'll be looking for a leave in. And in theory my friend in cosmetology school is going to be giving me a couple of deep conditioning treatments to prep my hair for dying a normal color and being styled for my wedding in a few weeks, so hopefully that'll help too.
12/07/2010
J's Alley J's Alley
Before I ended up with Alopecia I had crazy thick, long, curly hair. Braid it (you can even leave it down) and then put the hat on. And when you need to readjust be very careful to go front to back to avoid tangles.
12/07/2010
darthkitt3n darthkitt3n
My hair does that if it gets too long. The top few layers will be fine, but the bottom one will just be god awful, no matter how much I brush it. I make sure to keep my hair at shoulder length or shorter because it doesn't get knotty when I have it this short. I know what definitely helps is getting it layered, with the bottom layer at the back cut very short. It isn't noticeable under the rest of the layers, especially if you have thick hair. Maybe a detangling spray would help?
12/08/2010
Hot'n'Bothered Hot'n'Bothered
I agree with the braid suggestion if your hair is long enough. It's the only way I can really keep mine manageable.
12/08/2010
Carrie Ann Carrie Ann
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
I've noticed
Oh! Also! Try Tigi Bedhead Dumb Blonde shampoo and conditioner. Regular use of this makes my knots about half what they normally are. It's loaded with good protein that repairs and fills bleached hair so the shaft is less porous and likely to knot up.

Expensive, but you use about half as much as you do with cheaper stuff and it really, really works. (And smells nommy! Even Victoria bought some after I used it at her house. )
12/08/2010
Envy Envy
I don't get tangles, but I get what i call 'duck butt' where it curls up.
12/08/2010
J's Alley J's Alley
You can also try Silk Therapy by Biosilk. I don't like the shampoo and conditioner, but I swear by the silk therapy. Leave in conditioner is good too. I use Enjoy.
12/08/2010
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Ann
Oh! Also! Try Tigi Bedhead Dumb Blonde shampoo and conditioner. Regular use of this makes my knots about half what they normally are. It's loaded with good protein that repairs and fills bleached hair so the shaft is less porous and likely to ...
You know, I went looking for Dumb Blonde on Victoria's recommendation a while back and all I could find was Self Absorbed. Smells like oranges, lol. When I run out of this, I'll look harder for the Dumb Blonde for sure.
12/08/2010
  • 1
  • 2
Total posts: 38
Unique posters: 20