Things babies born in 2011 will never know

  • Get FREE 5 Gifts with Orders $59+

Things babies born in 2011 will never know

Jul!a Jul!a
I clicked on this article out of sheer curiosity, and was amazed to see what kinds of things were on there, and just how true this list actually seems to be. From travel agents to wired land lines to even your watch, be amazed at some of the things that have quietly started slipping into oblivion.
01/16/2011
  • Buy 3 Items for $70
  • Buy 3 Items for $50
  • Buy 3 Items for $30
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Add Some Buzz To Your Favourite Toy & Save 60% On Kit
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
What it is like to have to fast-forward or revind a tape to find a song.
01/16/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
My kids might never know, but I will take the time and date myself horribly by continually explaining it to them, or by trying to save a Walkman and making them learn for themselves!
01/16/2011
LavenderSkies LavenderSkies
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
I clicked on this article out of sheer curiosity, and was amazed to see what kinds of things were on there, and just how true this list actually seems to be. From travel agents to wired land lines to even your watch, be amazed at some of the things ...
Great, interesting article!
01/17/2011
dv8 dv8
TV as we know it might become obsolete. I'd like to see TV on demand over the internet replace the cable and dish companies.
01/17/2011
Kim! Kim!
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim
What it is like to have to fast-forward or revind a tape to find a song.
Not only that but waiting for your favorite songs to come on the radio and hitting record! And, of course, always getting someone talking and/or the beginning of the next song.
01/17/2011
Naughty Student Naughty Student
I was thinking about that recently.

I brought up the phone and the mail ones' to a friend. Children today have no idea how internet used to be and how cable TV was. Now you can stop what you're watching while it plays with PVR's. Its crazy. I hope my kids won't ever want a cell. I'm 25 and still don't have one. I hate them and will refuse to give one to my future kids, lol.
01/17/2011
~LaUr3n~ ~LaUr3n~
Pluto was a planet. I have a theory about why they REALLY decided this... but I won't go into that lol.
01/17/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
My friend last night was telling my husband and I about trying to explain a VCR to a kid she knew. She relayed the experience as being extremely frustrating because since the kid had no idea what a cassette even was, she had nowhere to really start without giving the entire history of everything involved.
01/17/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by ~LaUr3n~
Pluto was a planet. I have a theory about why they REALLY decided this... but I won't go into that lol.
Isn't Pluto still a planet? Dwarf planet maybe, but that still has 'planet' in the name, lol.
01/17/2011
KnK KnK
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
I clicked on this article out of sheer curiosity, and was amazed to see what kinds of things were on there, and just how true this list actually seems to be. From travel agents to wired land lines to even your watch, be amazed at some of the things ...
Lies! I'm only 20 and I don't go anywhere without my wristwatch. It looks classy and it's reliable in case your phone dies. Always good to have a back up and you don't have to dig through a pocket or purse to know the time. Useful
01/17/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by KnK
Lies! I'm only 20 and I don't go anywhere without my wristwatch. It looks classy and it's reliable in case your phone dies. Always good to have a back up and you don't have to dig through a pocket or purse to know the time. Useful
My mom said the same thing, lol. I wore a watch religiously until I started delivering car parts just over a year ago, but when winter came and gloves were uncomfortable to wear with it, I stopped wearing it. But, new job, now I wear a watch again, and I don't leave the house without it.
01/17/2011
GeekWife GeekWife
Along those same lines... this video on Youtube: link (yes it's in French, but it's titled in English). Doesn't THAT make you feel old? Even if you're only 20, you've got to remember some of this stuff.
01/17/2011
Envy Envy
The problem i have with most things that are advancing, though, is the fact it can be very unreliable. And not everyone can afford the internet, cell phones, and other things.

I am really upset about landlines disappearing. They were very dependable, but now it's being replaced by VOIP. Problem with that is, power or web goes out, no phones. Sure you can use a cell, but if it affects the cellular towers too, you're screwed.

Also, the thing about work and home life blurring scares me. This is why I don't give work my cell number, I do not want to be bothered when i am off work, period.

And the digital picture frames.... I'd rather have the real thing in my hands, cause if that frame gets corrupted or dies you lose everything.
01/17/2011
BrokeNHorny BrokeNHorny
I played a video game designed for a younger audience a little while back, and it took me about 10 tries before I realized why my answer of 9 planets was wrong.

Also, kids today will never understand film, floppy discs, tapes, or typewriters. It's almost sad to see all of the old media formats dying off. It probably wont be long until CD's are dead too.
01/18/2011
dv8 dv8
Quote:
Originally posted by BrokeNHorny
I played a video game designed for a younger audience a little while back, and it took me about 10 tries before I realized why my answer of 9 planets was wrong.

Also, kids today will never understand film, floppy discs, tapes, or typewriters. ...
Aren't CDs pretty much dead now? If fiber optic broadband becomes more common in the U.S., I expect legally obtaining movies online will make DVDs and Blu-ray obsolete as well.
01/18/2011
Victoria Victoria
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
My mom said the same thing, lol. I wore a watch religiously until I started delivering car parts just over a year ago, but when winter came and gloves were uncomfortable to wear with it, I stopped wearing it. But, new job, now I wear a watch again, ...
I actually just vowed to start wearing my watch when traveling - for a few reasons: you don't have to "power off" a watch during flights, you don't have to fumble for a phone to know the time when hustling long with full hands, and the most important... you don't have to pull out a phone in a meeting (which I think is kinda ride) to see what time it is and determine if you're out of time. A subtle glance at a watch is so much nicer than having a phone glued to your hand on on the table at all times, ya know?
01/18/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by Victoria
I actually just vowed to start wearing my watch when traveling - for a few reasons: you don't have to "power off" a watch during flights, you don't have to fumble for a phone to know the time when hustling long with full hands, and ...
The biggest reason I started regularly wearing a watch to begin with was because I had gotten a retail job and wasn't allowed to have my phone on the floor with me. Having a watch let me know how much longer til break without getting in trouble for checking my phone all the time. And having a watch was awesome, like you said, on the plane ride back from the honeymoon. My husband kept grabbing my arm to check the time, so I eventually just took my watch off and left it on his tray table, lol
01/18/2011
~LaUr3n~ ~LaUr3n~
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
Isn't Pluto still a planet? Dwarf planet maybe, but that still has 'planet' in the name, lol.
They are two very different things although planet still occurs in the name. There is a list of criteria for a "regular planet". Pluto apparently no longer makes the cut lol. Either way. The Planets of our solar system are now being taught as 8 not 9 and so kids won't know it like we did.

Long story short, this is my theory...they found a handful of new planets that are technically in the Milky Way Galaxy. Instead of making kids learn these 4 or 5 new planets (I can't remember how many it was exactly), they just said "fuck it"...lopped the last odd ball one off and were done with it. No those others are dwarf planets too I believe. Weird stuff.
01/18/2011
~LaUr3n~ ~LaUr3n~
That video games used to have to be blown on to get them to work lol.
01/18/2011
dlw dlw
up up down down left right left right A B select start
the contra code to get extra lives on Nintendo
01/18/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Knowing how to get to level 8 in Super Mario Brothers in under 5 minutes.
01/18/2011
BBW Talks Toys BBW Talks Toys
Quote:
Originally posted by dv8
TV as we know it might become obsolete. I'd like to see TV on demand over the internet replace the cable and dish companies.
It already does for me. For the most part, I watch shows I enjoy the next day online. For free. We have Netflix for streaming movies. Cable? What's cable?
01/18/2011
BBW Talks Toys BBW Talks Toys
I would say that as long as people are shipping packages, mail will never be completely obsolete. HOWEVER, services like UPS and FedEx might be less expensive than the postal service.

And y'all know now much we like our packages!
01/18/2011
Elliotstar Elliotstar
I disagree with some things on that list, like mail, and watches, but some of it like renting a movie from a shop I totally agree with.
01/20/2011
PussyGalore PussyGalore
Evidently, if the school boards have their way, it's going to be cursive handwriting.
01/20/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by PussyGalore
Evidently, if the school boards have their way, it's going to be cursive handwriting.
I remember being so excited at the end of 1st grade to start learning cursive in 2nd grade that I guessed and tried writing out the answers on my last test of the year in cursive, and getting most of them wrong, because I didn't yet know cursive. Now all I use it for is signing my name, although when I write in general, it's a cross between print and cursive.
01/20/2011
Jobthingy Jobthingy
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
Knowing how to get to level 8 in Super Mario Brothers in under 5 minutes.
HAHA! Dude. I still have my NES and is even plugged in. I blow in that sucker and giver with a bottle of wine some weekends. Its awesome. I even have my Game Genie. Yes. I am a loser
01/20/2011
PussyGalore PussyGalore
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
I remember being so excited at the end of 1st grade to start learning cursive in 2nd grade that I guessed and tried writing out the answers on my last test of the year in cursive, and getting most of them wrong, because I didn't yet know cursive. ...
Yep, yep me too. The very first letter I wrote as a child was a cursive "L". My older sister taught me how to do it. And I ran around the house writing cursive "l"s on everything I could find that I was allowed to write on and then when we were actually being taught how to do it I was so proud when all of my letters looked like the teacher's. Sadly, my cursive is now completely illegible and my print is in the pits too but that's what typing for the last fifteen years has done.
01/20/2011
ahammer ahammer
watches will become seen less.. not much more then they are now as I almost never see them now.

btw I just got a pocket watch and I love it even thou I have 3-4 ways of telling the time almost any where I go. took me a while to read analog clocks again.

also I cant see travel agents going anyway still would not want to plan a big trip without one. small trip has not been the realm of agents for a long time

also one more vote for 100% cable free right now for 2 years I have not missed it.
01/20/2011
  • 1
  • 2
Total posts: 39
Unique posters: 23