What would you do about my new neighbor.

  • Get FREE 5 Gifts with Orders $59+

What would you do about my new neighbor.

ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
This guy stopped by the other day to say hi, and eat some food.




What would you do? Freak out, grab a gun, call the local wildlife department or....
08/17/2010
  • Buy 3 Items for $70
  • Buy 3 Items for $50
  • Buy 3 Items for $30
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Add Some Buzz To Your Favourite Toy & Save 60% On Kit
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Jul!a Jul!a
Maybe call the local wildlife department and see what they want you to do?
08/17/2010
Chilipepper Chilipepper
Isn't there a law against stray animals?
08/17/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
link

Not sure if the link works, this one should.
08/17/2010
Chilipepper Chilipepper
I thought you were talking about the human variety (I had a few of them in the past).
08/17/2010
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim
link

Not sure if the link works, this one should.
It did work, and I like your backyard
08/17/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
I should note that I live about 10 miles out of town, this is the second one we have seen in a year.
08/17/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
It did work, and I like your backyard
Thanks, by far the best part of the property. I do not see the pic though.
08/17/2010
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim
Thanks, by far the best part of the property. I do not see the pic though.
I middle clicked it on my mouse and it popped right up in another window.
08/17/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by Chilipepper
I thought you were talking about the human variety (I had a few of them in the past).
We have had two (humans) walk in from the back that is a swamp, the last one even said he saw the "no trespassing" sign. Go figure.
08/17/2010
Kindred Kindred
You might try animal control. That looks like a young one (unless it's just the distance of the camera) and there may be a mom nearby. Unlikely to cause any problems, but you don't want any surprises.
08/17/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by Kindred
You might try animal control. That looks like a young one (unless it's just the distance of the camera) and there may be a mom nearby. Unlikely to cause any problems, but you don't want any surprises.
I guess it was about 3' tall at the shoulders, maybe 250lbs. All my neighbors say they see them all the time, no one has had any issues. Right after the picture was taken my dog Zoe (my avatar) barked and it took off.

Really my first thought was to take pic's. Then scare it off with the shot gun, not shoot it but just make a loud noise to make it think twice before coming back.
08/17/2010
usmcwife99 usmcwife99
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim
I guess it was about 3' tall at the shoulders, maybe 250lbs. All my neighbors say they see them all the time, no one has had any issues. Right after the picture was taken my dog Zoe (my avatar) barked and it took off.

Really my first ...
We live right out on the edge of town and we back up to a forest on one side and pond on the other. We get deer all the time. Ive seen wolves and foxes but no bears lol.

We have 3 horses so I deffinitly dont like wolves around my place for obvious reasons

Alot of times in the morning ile be leaving and see some back in the field(they never learn)so I open up the glove box an fire a few rounds off into the ditch

I cant help but ask what kind of shotgun
08/17/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by usmcwife99
We live right out on the edge of town and we back up to a forest on one side and pond on the other. We get deer all the time. Ive seen wolves and foxes but no bears lol.

We have 3 horses so I deffinitly dont like wolves around my place for ...
Benelli Nova 12ga.

I see deer every night, and a yotie now and then. We just got some chickens so I keep my eye out when I can.
08/17/2010
Sammi Sammi
I think I'd call the local wildlife department. They may be able to relocate him.
08/17/2010
El-Jaro El-Jaro
little black bears are so cute!

If you believe in the totem animal thing, that's me.

I'd call the DNR and have them move the little bear further out of town. Where you're at though, I think MN or WI would enjoy it better
08/17/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by Sammi
I think I'd call the local wildlife department. They may be able to relocate him.
Up here (upper Michigan) they will not do something unless they become a nuisance, my property backs about 500 square acres of state land and it seems that they only come around during the middle of the summer.
08/17/2010
Sir Sir
Call the wildlife department or 911. 911 knows how to deal with that stuff, they have divisions which will take the animal back to the forest or to its home.
08/17/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by El-Jaro
little black bears are so cute!

If you believe in the totem animal thing, that's me.

I'd call the DNR and have them move the little bear further out of town. Where you're at though, I think MN or WI would enjoy it better
I agree they are cute, as my wife said "rolly polly". Really a thrill to see him/her.
08/17/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir
Call the wildlife department or 911. 911 knows how to deal with that stuff, they have divisions which will take the animal back to the forest or to its home.
To be perfectly honest, we are in it's home. My grandma always talked about living with nature and co-living, and her and grandpa lived here since the early 60's.
Not to awful worried until I start to see lots of sign that it is still around, or see young. Then I will call.
08/17/2010
deltalima deltalima
That's a bear right? Can't see clearly. But I would do you and that bear a favor and notify the appropriate people.
08/18/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by deltalima
That's a bear right? Can't see clearly. But I would do you and that bear a favor and notify the appropriate people.
Yup black bear.
08/18/2010
P'Gell P'Gell
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim
This guy stopped by the other day to say hi, and eat some food.




What would you do? Freak out, grab a gun, call the local wildlife department or....
Chances are, if he can't get into your garbage, he or she will eventually go away.

We have possums, wood chucks, skunks, raccoons, the occasional deer, the occasional fox. No bears, though.

As you backup to State Land, they won't do anything unless he gets aggressive or really pesky. He looks young, probably not even a year old, black bears can stay with their Mama's nursing for 2 or 3 years. I'd be more afraid of her. Keep an eye out for her, as she is really dangerous. I'd call DNR again, if you see HER. They would relocate the entire family, if she's around, I'm guessing. NOTHING more dangerous than a Mama Bear with cubs. But, damn, he IS cute! DON'T FEED HIM. (I'm guessing you know this.)

I LOVE the Yupper!

I hope he goes back into the State Land. I'd hate to see anything happen to him.
08/18/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by P'Gell
Chances are, if he can't get into your garbage, he or she will eventually go away.

We have possums, wood chucks, skunks, raccoons, the occasional deer, the occasional fox. No bears, though.

As you backup to State Land, they ...
Nope no feeding, except for the feed I put out for deer and my chickens, he/she did not seen interested in that though. My grandma talked about her "pet bear" that would come in every once and awhile.

A lot of the people that live round here still put there food-stuff garbage in their back yard so I imagine that has a lot to do with it. We have been here a year and this is only the second time we have seen one.
08/18/2010
ScottA ScottA
Make sure that he sees you as a threat if you ever encounter him. Be big, loud, and kind of aggressive. Large animals get dangerous when they think they're the boss.
08/18/2010
P'Gell P'Gell
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim
Nope no feeding, except for the feed I put out for deer and my chickens, he/she did not seen interested in that though. My grandma talked about her "pet bear" that would come in every once and awhile.

A lot of the people that live ...
We LOVE the UP. We've spent a lot of time up there, My Man even backpacked for a full week, on his own on Isle Royale! We like Copper Harbor, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and the Pasties!

We wanted to go up this summer, but no money.

When we were up in Copper Harbor years ago, the "thing to do" at dusk was to go to the dump and watch the bears eat the garbage. Ahhh, The Yooper! (I can't spell it.)

Where abouts do you live in the UP? It's ever so much nicer than lower MI. (Sorry, Detroit.)
08/18/2010
Victoria Victoria
Great advice from P'Gell and ScottA - so I don't have anything to add, other than another "awwwww, cute!!!".
08/18/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by P'Gell
We LOVE the UP. We've spent a lot of time up there, My Man even backpacked for a full week, on his own on Isle Royale! We like Copper Harbor, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and the Pasties!

We wanted to go up this summer, but no money. ...
I live outside of Iron Mountain, on the Wisconsin/Michigan border.

We also have limited funds so we have not done much sight seeing. We did go to Mackinac Island last year, what a great place to spend the day.
08/18/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Growing up in Colorado I learned early how to deal with the various "Big animals" aka Brown and Black bears, mountain lions cougars etc. and my kids also learned early. My kids do not go in the trees without me, and when we do I take my pistol or shot gun just in case.

I truly try my best to live with mother nature, she WAS here first. In case that arrangement does not work I will make the call.
08/18/2010
Sanjay Sanjay
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim
This guy stopped by the other day to say hi, and eat some food.




What would you do? Freak out, grab a gun, call the local wildlife department or....
... a bit off topic, but I wanted to say that it was freak'n hilarious to read this post and NOT be able to see that there was a photo of a bear in your backyard. I thought there was some crazy burly looking dude that just walked into your house and said "HEY I JUST MOVED IN NEXT DOOR NOW GIMME SOME CORNBREAD!" and that you saw this as cause to call animal control, since this humanoid was clearly a wildlife issue...
08/18/2010
  • 1
  • 2
Total posts: 48
Unique posters: 18