Working for a sex toy store

  • Get a Free Rabbit Vibe with Orders $59+

Working for a sex toy store

pornshopgirl pornshopgirl
So tomorrow I've got an interview for a job at a local sex toy store. I'm pretty excited!

It got me thinking, how many people on Eden work at sex toy stores in real life (meaning not an online store)?

If you already do or have in the past, how was your experience? Any advice for me?

If you don't, would you want to?
04/07/2010
  • Buy 3 Items for $70
  • Buy 3 Items for $50
  • Buy 3 Items for $30
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Add Some Buzz To Your Favourite Toy & Save 60% On Kit
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
J's Alley J's Alley
Quote:
Originally posted by pornshopgirl
So tomorrow I've got an interview for a job at a local sex toy store. I'm pretty excited!

It got me thinking, how many people on Eden work at sex toy stores in real life (meaning not an online store)?

If you already do or have ...
I would totally work at one. I am actually a little disappointed that we aren't moving back to our home town because I would be the first one to work at the tattoo shop in town that sports a toy store in back
04/07/2010
pornshopgirl pornshopgirl
Quote:
Originally posted by J's Alley
I would totally work at one. I am actually a little disappointed that we aren't moving back to our home town because I would be the first one to work at the tattoo shop in town that sports a toy store in back
A tattoo/sex toy shop? Damn, I wouldn't have to work there, I'd just be content with LIVING in it
04/07/2010
Kayla Kayla
I really want to. I'm just waiting for the store in town to start hiring again.
04/07/2010
Gary Gary
I work at a porn store here in Philly (on the weekends now, but I have worked there for almost 9 years). I am sure it will be a little different, but you will definitely need some really thick skin at times. Good luck!
04/07/2010
NymphetamineKiss NymphetamineKiss
Quote:
Originally posted by pornshopgirl
A tattoo/sex toy shop? Damn, I wouldn't have to work there, I'd just be content with LIVING in it
heh, me too! I'd pretty much just move in

If there were any vacancies going in the ones near here I'd totally love to work in a store... Keeping my secret identity just that of course. A bit like the sex blogger equivalent of clark kent/ superman. Yeah...
04/07/2010
Adriana Ravenlust Adriana Ravenlust
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary
I work at a porn store here in Philly (on the weekends now, but I have worked there for almost 9 years). I am sure it will be a little different, but you will definitely need some really thick skin at times. Good luck!
I bet.

I'd love to work at one and there are some nicer sex toy shops here that are not especially porn stores. Nothing hiring, though
04/07/2010
Victoria Victoria
I worked at a sex toy brick and mortar store here in Philly for about a year. A thick skin is important, as is practical knowledge, patience and EMPATHY. You will be humbled by some of the conversations you will have with people about their sex lives - some days you will feel totally drained and other days you will feel so fulfilled and elated. Be kind. Be sincere. Show compassion. Don't be pushy or preachy. Read all the info on the products as soon as they come into the store, turn them on, check them out. Keep a journal. And never lose sight that you are doing meaningful work by helping others embrace their sexuality.
04/07/2010
pornshopgirl pornshopgirl
Quote:
Originally posted by Victoria
I worked at a sex toy brick and mortar store here in Philly for about a year. A thick skin is important, as is practical knowledge, patience and EMPATHY. You will be humbled by some of the conversations you will have with people about their sex lives ...
Wow, thanks a bunch! I'm in a town that's half college students and half conservative older couples, so it's going to be quite the experience. And that's exactly why I wanted to work there- to help others embrace their sexuality. I'm astounded at how many of my peers (I'm just about to finish college) know next to nothing about sex, masturbation, and kink, and I'm hoping I can help with that.

Thanks for all the advice and comments so far, everyone! I'll let you know how my interview goes, cross your fingers for me!
04/07/2010
Jenn (aka kissmykitty) Jenn (aka kissmykitty)
I have never worked in a sex toy store, but I would love to if given the opportunity. It would be really neat to interact with people, and as Victoria pointed out, help to steer them in the right direction of recognizing and embracing their sexuality.

Good luck!
04/09/2010
pornshopgirl pornshopgirl
I GOT THE JOB!! woooo! I start training bright and early tomorrow morning!
04/14/2010
Gary Gary
Congratulations!

A funny story to share...

Some homeless guy stuffed a lice infested sweatshirt into a rack either on Sunday (when I worked) or Monday. On Tuesday the weekday day shift guy found it, and had to go get de-lousing stuff. He said that there were a ton of lice, and that he had to buy new clothes after handling it. He also told me he might quit this week.

Body lice are REALLY easy to get rid of if you are not homeless (wash clothes, extra time in dryer, and showering gets rid of them), but still. I got them a few times when I was younger and squatting. Ahhh the good ole days
04/14/2010
Victoria Victoria
Quote:
Originally posted by pornshopgirl
I GOT THE JOB!! woooo! I start training bright and early tomorrow morning!
Congratulations! Keep us posted about the new job!
04/14/2010
Sammi Sammi
Quote:
Originally posted by pornshopgirl
I GOT THE JOB!! woooo! I start training bright and early tomorrow morning!
Congratulations!
04/14/2010
Naughty Student Naughty Student
Congrats! Let us know how things go.

Personally I would totally love to work in a sex toy store. I think that my friends and some of my family would get it but not everyone. I wouldn't be ashamed of working there I would actually be proud.
04/15/2010
Naughty Student Naughty Student
Quote:
Originally posted by Victoria
I worked at a sex toy brick and mortar store here in Philly for about a year. A thick skin is important, as is practical knowledge, patience and EMPATHY. You will be humbled by some of the conversations you will have with people about their sex lives ...
I'm just curious as to why you require a thick skin...is it in regards to how family and friends may look at you differently or does it have to do with things you will experience at work?
04/15/2010
El-Jaro El-Jaro
'Grats!

I got a call back from a Priscilla's in Detroit when I was 18, but already had another job by that time.

Now, I would LOVE to work at a B/M store for the exact reasons Victoria put up. It'd be awesome x2 if they wanted my input on stock too!
04/15/2010
Darling Dove Darling Dove
I'd love to work at a sex toy store... put in apps at all the local ones that would allow it, but sadly, no calls back. Most of them are run by pervy old men and have hot college student girls as cashier atm so probably your sex appeal is the main factor in being employed. We have no women positive sex shops here. Priscillas doesnt count because 1.. they barely have any toys to begin with and 2.. the owner changed the name to Cirillas and he is a disgusting man in a trench coat with a stench that extends about 6ft around him and super creepy.

Sucks because like I said.. I would love to work at one, even if the guy is a creep, but I guess its better to try for ones closer to home because otherwise I'd run into people from my old highschool, which is not an argument I want to have.
04/15/2010
Gary Gary
Quote:
Originally posted by Naughty Student
I'm just curious as to why you require a thick skin...is it in regards to how family and friends may look at you differently or does it have to do with things you will experience at work?
Thick skin to deal with crazy people. The place I work doesn't even have booths and we get every bad stereotype imaginable and then some, every single day. I would imagine that for girls, you would also have to deal with guys coming in and making assumptions based on the job you have and being inappropriate. (although keep in mind Victoria and I are in Philly)
04/15/2010
Total posts: 19
Unique posters: 12