I don't go to clubs or bars. I understand why people do, and I used to when I was younger but I have good reasons for not doing so now.
1) I have no desire to pick anyone up. That seems to be a prevalent reason for clubbing-bar hopping.
2) I don't really like to dance in public. I have a lot of reasons to not do so.
3) I hate hate hate hate other people's choice in music. I like MY music. Being forced to listen to someone else's music choices is torture. I listen to the music I like in my home or my car. I see no reason to subject myself to "other people's music" for any reason.
4) I hate hate hate hate loud places. I get migraines. Clubs are loud.
5) I don't drink, I never get drunk, and don't care to be around a lot of drunk people.
6) I hate cigarette smoke. I know this point is moot, now, with anti-smoking laws, but when I went to clubs and bars, you'd have to wash your clothes twice to get the stink out and I used to have to go outside, even in the dead of winter, just to breathe air that wasn't contaminated with cigarette smoke.
7 I don't like large groups of people. Especially loud people. Especially loud drunk, and or stoned people. I enjoy talking to people in small groups or one on one. Shouting and not being able to be intimate, because the surroundings are loud and anti-intimate are make me nervous.
I understand a lot of people love clubbing, but it just isn't my thing, and never was.
It isn't my thing.
I'd rather go to a small intimate gathering of people I already know, or spend a quiet evening at home with My Man, or go on a day trip to a museum or park. Boring to some, maybe. But, it's been a while since I was 21.
More power to those of you who enjoy it, though. You have tougher ear drums than I do.