A Reminder About Follow Ups

  • Get FREE 5 Gifts with Orders $59+

A Reminder About Follow Ups

Carrie Ann Carrie Ann
With the new points system in place, we're seeing a lot of follow up reviews. That's excellent!

Follow up reviews done two days or 18 days after the initial review are not so excellent though. I know the points are tempting but...

Remember, we recommend two months for a reason. Unless you have something very important to say - like the product broke or stopped working or was stolen by aliens, a follow up does not really need to be done before that two month time frame.

We want to know how the product is holding up long term, not that you still like it 12 days later.
07/22/2010
  • Buy 3 Items for $70
  • Buy 3 Items for $50
  • Buy 3 Items for $30
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Add Some Buzz To Your Favourite Toy & Save 60% On Kit
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Heartthrob Heartthrob
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Ann
With the new points system in place, we're seeing a lot of follow up reviews. That's excellent!

Follow up reviews done two days or 18 days after the initial review are not so excellent though. I know the points are tempting ...
Thanks. I try to do my follow ups a few months later.
07/23/2010
NuMe NuMe
This is always a good reminder.
07/23/2010
SexyySarah SexyySarah
I've got a question, I've done a few reviews that I've had the toy for quite some time, should I still wait the two months even though I've had it longer then from the time I actually wrote the review? Like i just joined about 2-3 weeks ago and when I did I wrote a few reviews on what I already had, so should I still wait? It doesn't really matter either way I just didn't know!
07/23/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by SexyySarah
I've got a question, I've done a few reviews that I've had the toy for quite some time, should I still wait the two months even though I've had it longer then from the time I actually wrote the review? Like i just joined about 2-3 ...
I think that the main idea is to show how the toy holds up in the long run. If you feel that you have run them through the paces then I don't see any reason why not.
07/23/2010
NuMe NuMe
Quote:
Originally posted by SexyySarah
I've got a question, I've done a few reviews that I've had the toy for quite some time, should I still wait the two months even though I've had it longer then from the time I actually wrote the review? Like i just joined about 2-3 ...
When you've already had a toy for a long time then everything should have been covered under the original review, and a follow up really isn't needed unless something changes.
07/23/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
I did not think of that. Good point.
07/23/2010
Carrie Ann Carrie Ann
Quote:
Originally posted by NuMe
When you've already had a toy for a long time then everything should have been covered under the original review, and a follow up really isn't needed unless something changes.
Also, within the first few weeks, you can actually still edit the initial review.

So, yes, I think waiting a bit on the follow ups is best in nearly all situations.
07/23/2010
LiftedUp LiftedUp
Thanks for the reminder! I forgot that I had some follow-ups that I didn't complete yet!! EEK! I'll have to get to them soon.
07/23/2010
Sir Sir
THANK YOU, Carrie Ann, for posting this! I had been saying this for a while and people acted strangely when I said it! So thank you for posting it, this really is helpful!
07/23/2010
LicentiouslyYours LicentiouslyYours
Quote:
Originally posted by LiftedUp
Thanks for the reminder! I forgot that I had some follow-ups that I didn't complete yet!! EEK! I'll have to get to them soon.
I think it's important to remember that follow-ups are not required, they are optional. If you have no new useful information, it really isn't needed.
07/23/2010
LiftedUp LiftedUp
Quote:
Originally posted by LicentiouslyYours
I think it's important to remember that follow-ups are not required, they are optional. If you have no new useful information, it really isn't needed.
That is true, but with some products I like to know hoe well it has held up. In that case, even if your view of toy and its usage hasn't changed, it's nice to know if I can count on using it a year, or two years from now.
07/23/2010
sophie2229 sophie2229
Quote:
Originally posted by LicentiouslyYours
I think it's important to remember that follow-ups are not required, they are optional. If you have no new useful information, it really isn't needed.
I somewhat disagree with this - if I read a review where the person really liked the toy and there really shouldn't be actual changes in the toy over time, ie Mistress Kay's Isis review, I'm really interested in how much the reviewer picks up said toy over his/her other choices. For example it was valuable knowing that she usually used her Pure Wand instead of the Isis.
07/24/2010
sophie2229 sophie2229
I'll admit - the points are a big incentive for me to do those follow ups that I have from a bunch of months ago!
07/24/2010
Midway through Midway through
I don't really feel the need for a follow-up on really good items unless they break. As for bad items, unless I learn to love them, the only thing I'll have to mention is if it got worse. If it stays the same, I don't see reason for follow ups.
07/24/2010
LicentiouslyYours LicentiouslyYours
Quote:
Originally posted by sophie2229
I somewhat disagree with this - if I read a review where the person really liked the toy and there really shouldn't be actual changes in the toy over time, ie Mistress Kay's Isis review, I'm really interested in how much the reviewer ...
Well, I guess I would say that letting us know how often she's chosen this toy over another one or that she prefers others is useful information.

I just don't think people should feel obligated to do a follow-up or do it just for the points and submit something with no new info. Hell, even suggesting a different version of something, if you strongly dislike what you reviewed would be better than saying "I have not used this since the review and still don't like it."
07/25/2010
Sir Sir
Quote:
Originally posted by sophie2229
I somewhat disagree with this - if I read a review where the person really liked the toy and there really shouldn't be actual changes in the toy over time, ie Mistress Kay's Isis review, I'm really interested in how much the reviewer ...
That is actually agreeing. The information was useful, therefore it was, well, useful information.
07/26/2010
Lady Venus Lady Venus
Thanks for the reminder! I did recently do a follow up, under month after my review, but that was because I've had the book for about 7 months or so. Now I know to wait a bit! thanks!
07/26/2010
Carrie Ann Carrie Ann
For me, when someone has done a follow up too soon, with info that is not all that relevant and could have been added to comments or the review itself (which can be edited for three weeks after the writing the initial review) it lowers the value of the review because now I will never know how it held up longer term.
07/26/2010
lexical lexical
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Ann
For me, when someone has done a follow up too soon, with info that is not all that relevant and could have been added to comments or the review itself (which can be edited for three weeks after the writing the initial review) it lowers the value of ...
I often go back and edit my follow up reviews with "Updates" when something important happens to the item. Like it broke or I've noticed it heating up or growing louder or weaker or what have you. I'm really glad that we have the option to edit them still

It is acceptable to wait for longer than the 2 month mark, if you have nothing constructive to add, correct?
07/28/2010
ScottA ScottA
Yep, you can wait as long as you want. Even if nothing has changes I'd still say that a short followup is valid - saying that "the toy still works and works well after 6 months/one year/ whatever of use and you still love it" is worthwhile information (maybe a bit more involved than that ), because it shows that the toy (or the reviewer) didn't just disappear.
07/28/2010
angsaysrawr angsaysrawr
Well I am glad that I know how long to wait, as previously I wasn't sure. Thanks for the tip!
07/30/2010
danellejohns danellejohns
Thank you for posting this. It was a question I had rattling around for a while now. But I do believe I oopsed and had my husband do a follow up instead of editing the thing on one.

I am glad to see that it is acceptable to do a follow up between 2-6 months instead of longer than that. Which wouldn't be a problem if it was longer except I have a hard time remembering what I did yesterday and we seem to be collecting more and more toys so usage would presumably go down on some.
01/26/2011
PassionQT PassionQT
Quote:
Originally posted by lexical
I often go back and edit my follow up reviews with "Updates" when something important happens to the item. Like it broke or I've noticed it heating up or growing louder or weaker or what have you. I'm really glad that we have the ...
I didn't know we could update the follow-up. Good to know!
01/26/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by PassionQT
I didn't know we could update the follow-up. Good to know!
Unfortunately, the last time I checked they were only able to be edited for a short while

However if you've already done the update and something drastic changes, you can always leave it as a note in your comments. I've done that.
01/26/2011
Total posts: 25
Unique posters: 17