How do you capture still images from DVDs to put in a review?

  • Get a FREE Bullet with Orders $59+

How do you capture still images from DVDs to put in a review?

Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
I am at the end of my rope with something I have been trying to accomplish for some time: I need help capturing still images from DVDs to place in my reviews.

I have tried various things that, according to a plethora of information on the Internet, should be working for me -- but, unfortunately, are not.

I have tried doing Control + I to capture a still while playing the DVD in Windows Media (which many people online have sworn works), but nothing at all happens when I try this.

I've also tried sliding the Hardware Acceleration down to None so that I could attempt a screen capture with Print Screen (another technique that people swear by). But when I slide the Hardware Acceleration down to None, the screen on my player goes completely blank. While can still hear the audio of the video, there is no picture (which means I can't do a still capture).

Not to be deterred by this, I then tried downloading Cyberlink PowerDVD so that I could finally capture stills. I got the program downloaded and running, but when I tried to capture a still, I was not able to open the saved still on my computer. (To tell the truth, I'm not even sure if the files that I am trying to open are even the stills I took...).

I am completely frustrated. Can anyone offer me any suggestions as to why NOTHING I do is working?
01/10/2011
  • Buy 1 Toy, Get 1 FREE
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Add Some Buzz To Your Favourite Toy & Save 60% On Kit
  • Pick Any 2 E-Stim Toys, Get 60% Off A Kit
  • Stock Up On Gifts! Save 80%. Limited Quantity
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
Oh, when I finally am able to take a still shot and convert it to JPEG, I plan on uploading the images to a photo hosting site so that I can link them in my reviews.

Correct me if I am wrong, if that is not the procedure.

But before I get to steps C and D, I first must accomplish A and B . . . so perhaps I am putting the cart before the horse in thinking that far ahead . . .
01/10/2011
Viktor Vysheslav Malkin Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
Quote:
Originally posted by Selective Sensualist
I am at the end of my rope with something I have been trying to accomplish for some time: I need help capturing still images from DVDs to place in my reviews.

I have tried various things that, according to a plethora of information on the ...
Heya!

Here is how I do it, I use the Print Screen/SysRq button that is just right above the numlock button. this works on a lot of media players but not all. If I remember correctly, it is a pain in the ass to get Windows Media Player to work with it.

I use the Print screen with great sucess with the program PowerDVD, which came with my Laptop. When you want to take a screen just press that button, open up an image editor and click "paste" and there you have it.

There is also, FRAPS, it takes screenshots. GIMP also takes screenshots. FRAPS doesn't work with PowerDVD though.

Also try using different programs to paste them in, for example PAINT.NET is pretty good, and sometimes it works when others won't.
01/10/2011
Viktor Vysheslav Malkin Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
Quote:
Originally posted by Selective Sensualist
Oh, when I finally am able to take a still shot and convert it to JPEG, I plan on uploading the images to a photo hosting site so that I can link them in my reviews.

Correct me if I am wrong, if that is not the procedure.

But before I ...
Yupo, that is how you do it

with the format Imag e Name}  substitute the } witha ""


oh, I always use the pause button when I use print screen, not that it matters, but I never heard of turning down hardware acceleration, sounds complicated
01/10/2011
Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
Quote:
Originally posted by Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
Heya!

Here is how I do it, I use the Print Screen/SysRq button that is just right above the numlock button. this works on a lot of media players but not all. If I remember correctly, it is a pain in the ass to get Windows Media Player to ...
"I use the Print screen with great success with the program PowerDVD, which came with my Laptop. When you want to take a screen just press that button, open up an image editor and click "paste" and there you have it."

Hmmm . . . I'm not able to get this to work. I'm playing the movie on PowerDVD, but when I press the Print Screen button (mine is located in a different place on my keyboard than yours), I am not able to paste anything anywhere.

Which image editor do you use?

Oh, and thank you so much for the info! Hopefully, I can get something to work for me on my computer. Our PC is older, so perhaps our software is just too old to work properly with these programs.
01/10/2011
Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
*Bump* Help!
01/10/2011
Viktor Vysheslav Malkin Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
ummmm... are you using a lap top or a desktop?

If a laptop, maybe you can try inputting a keyboard. I know it sounds stupid, but my laptop' F1-F12 buttons double function as Media player controls (skip scene, pause, turn up volume, turn down volume, mute, etc.)

We'll get it figured out.

have you tried FRAPS.com to get fraps? It works with games and stuff.

I use paint mostly when pasting, sometimes it doesn't work.
01/10/2011
Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
Quote:
Originally posted by Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
ummmm... are you using a lap top or a desktop?

If a laptop, maybe you can try inputting a keyboard. I know it sounds stupid, but my laptop' F1-F12 buttons double function as Media player controls (skip scene, pause, turn up volume, turn ...
I'm using a desktop. I'll give those things you mentioned a try later tonight when we get back.

I haven't tried FRAPS.com yet, but I will. And I'll see if Paint works to paste the captured still. Is Paint the image editor that you use?

Thanks, Viktor!
01/10/2011
Kindred Kindred
I'm sure it's not what you want, but if you have a large HDTV, you could just take a picture of the scene you want to capture. Not ideal, but may work until you can figure screen caps out.
01/10/2011
Viktor Vysheslav Malkin Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
Quote:
Originally posted by Selective Sensualist
I'm using a desktop. I'll give those things you mentioned a try later tonight when we get back.

I haven't tried FRAPS.com yet, but I will. And I'll see if Paint works to paste the captured still. Is Paint the image editor ...
yup, mostly with other media players, and all the time when I use printscreen with PowerDVD.
01/10/2011
Viktor Vysheslav Malkin Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
Quote:
Originally posted by Kindred
I'm sure it's not what you want, but if you have a large HDTV, you could just take a picture of the scene you want to capture. Not ideal, but may work until you can figure screen caps out.
you know, this is a very good suggestion, my friend!
01/10/2011
Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
Thank you so much, Kindred and Viktor! I got back home entirely too late last night to try capturing screen shots -- and I have a full day again today, so I will give it a shot again sometime tomorrow.

And, if I cannot get the software to cooperate on this old PC, I'll just attempt photographing it on the screen like Kindred suggested, LOL! (It really WAS a great idea!) I will not be thwarted!
01/11/2011
Jobthingy Jobthingy
Quote:
Originally posted by Selective Sensualist
Thank you so much, Kindred and Viktor! I got back home entirely too late last night to try capturing screen shots -- and I have a full day again today, so I will give it a shot again sometime tomorrow.

And, if I cannot get the software to ...
are you right clicking to paste? I know if i screen shot (using print screen) and paste in Paint, there is not right click option, I have to hit Edit > Paste.
01/11/2011
ToyGeek ToyGeek
I haven't, but if I wanted to, I'd use FrameShots, an incredibly intuitive program with no other purpose but to capture screenshots. I bought it here: link
01/11/2011
leatherlover leatherlover
I am also having problems doing the screen shots, but I like Kindred's idea of taking an actual photo of it. I might try that for my next review.
01/11/2011
Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
Okay, I've used Windows Media to capture the still shot (by first hitting pause and then doing Control + Print Screen). I then hit Control + V to paste the screen shot into Paint. That's where I run into trouble.

I tried cutting out the screen image in Paint because I don't want the black area around the screen image and the Windows Media toolbar all along the top of the picture. I then save the cutout. However, only about 1/4 of the image shows up.

So, I tried just saving the full screen shot (complete with the toolbar showing) in Paint and then opening the picture under PictureIt to edit it there. However, only about 1/4 of the image shows up that way as well.

I can't figure out how to manipulate it in Paint so that the entire image shows up when I save it.

So, I decided to bypass editing on my computer and just upload to TinyPic.com and edit it there. But unless I open it under PictureIt, the screen is completely black and there is nothing to edit. I even turned off Use Overlays, which one site had said caused the black screens, so that was supposed to have fixed it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to manipulate the saved images in Paint so that the entire screen image shows up instead of just 1/4 of it?
04/05/2011
Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyGeek
I haven't, but if I wanted to, I'd use FrameShots, an incredibly intuitive program with no other purpose but to capture screenshots. I bought it here: link
Thanks for the link. I've tried and tried to download their trial version, but it just won't download. I've even tried their suggested troubleshooting tips and okayed download.com as a safe site---but to no avail.
04/05/2011
Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
Quote:
Originally posted by Jobthingy
are you right clicking to paste? I know if i screen shot (using print screen) and paste in Paint, there is not right click option, I have to hit Edit > Paste.
I was using Control + V.

I've got that part fixed now, but it seems as though the second I figure out one snag, I immediately run into another!
04/05/2011
~LaUr3n~ ~LaUr3n~
Numerous people have contacted me over the last six months regarding this. A few of them had a similar issue as you! I';; give this thread a look over and get back to you later today.
04/05/2011
Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
Quote:
Originally posted by ~LaUr3n~
Numerous people have contacted me over the last six months regarding this. A few of them had a similar issue as you! I';; give this thread a look over and get back to you later today.
Thanks, Lauren! I was feeling like I'd accomplished something finally and wanted to release a string of expletives upon hitting another stubborn snag. I wish I could just afford to buy some software.

I was able to successfully capture some stills from one movie using a trial version of PowerDVD about a month ago, but my trial version is now expired and the company's site won't let me download the trial version again. I've had a LOT going on with serious health issues in my family the past few months (my dad is terminally ill and my mom's health is also declining, plus my mother-in-law has also been experiencing some very serious health issues), so I didn't have time to work with the trial version when I had it, unfortunately.
04/05/2011
Total posts: 20
Unique posters: 7