For editors---how do you deal with egregious cuss words?

  • Christmas shipping schedule
  • 20% OFF sitewide — Code: ENJOY20

For editors---how do you deal with egregious cuss words?

Antipova Antipova
Hey all---

I just ran across something in a review I haven't seen before. The reviewer had added a bunch of extra swear words that didn't really do anything to add to the review. I'm not against swear words, I mean, this is an adult site---but I think they only make sense where they actually really add to the review.

I wasn't totally sure what to do---so I checked the editorial guidelines, and didn't see anything addressing it. I thought I'd share what I did do, and see if anyone else has some suggestions. I just said---

"Also---while this is an adult site and you're welcome to use descriptive words like 'fucking' where they're necessary and appropriate, I think adding them as embellishments might be going a little bit far. I am taking these out, BUT I just checked Eden's official policy and I didn't see anything about lots of extra swearwords. So---these might be okay? I'm just taking them out for good measure now, but I'm saving them all in this post, so if you check with JR and you want to put them back in, we'll still have the original text you wrote. "

and then I saved all the phrases the reviewer had used.


I don't want to be all martinetish and chop up the review for no good reason---so what are your thoughts?
11/05/2011
  • Buy 1 Toy, Get 1 FREE! Mix and Match
  • Save 50% on Gift Set For Couples!
  • Save 50% on Gift Set For Her!
  • Save 50% on Gift Set For Him!
  • Holiday Clearance – Save 80%
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
DeliciousSurprise DeliciousSurprise
For some context, are we talking about a sentence closer to this:

This is a really good toy for fucking, because it helps you fuck better, fuck longer, and fuck more interestingly but it's total shit for partner play.

or closer to this:

This is a fucking awesome toy because it's the SHIT.



There's a big difference between the usage on the first and the second.
11/05/2011
Kindred Kindred
Quote:
Originally posted by DeliciousSurprise
For some context, are we talking about a sentence closer to this:

This is a really good toy for fucking, because it helps you fuck better, fuck longer, and fuck more interestingly but it's total shit for partner play.

or closer to ...
I agree that the context in which the language is being used is important to evaluate. However, I think even your second example could be a grey area and attributed to the authors voice. The only thing I can think of depending on the context is that it could violate the EoC.
11/05/2011
Antipova Antipova
Quote:
Originally posted by DeliciousSurprise
For some context, are we talking about a sentence closer to this:

This is a really good toy for fucking, because it helps you fuck better, fuck longer, and fuck more interestingly but it's total shit for partner play.

or closer to ...
Things like

"put some fucking thought into it"

"the monstrosity of a fuck up"

where you can drop the 'fuck' and keep the sentence completely intact.
11/05/2011
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Not sure of the Official stance on this one.

For me, even thought my mouth can be 100' below the sewer at times, a review that had a bunch of cussing would turn me off. Yes, this is an adult site but that does not mean we can cus like teenagers talking to their friends. Not saying folks shouldn't do it, just saying I will not read/vote/comment on it.
11/05/2011
DeliciousSurprise DeliciousSurprise
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
Things like

"put some fucking thought into it"

"the monstrosity of a fuck up"

where you can drop the 'fuck' and keep the sentence completely intact.
Well, it really does depend on the context; I'd probably remove the first and keep the second.


I'd be curious to hear an official ruling on this, though, because it IS a very valid question.
11/05/2011
Antipova Antipova
Ok, got a message from the contributor saying that he had a strong preference to keep them in, so I put them back. Don't want to be accused of censorship, after all!
11/05/2011
Kindred Kindred
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
Ok, got a message from the contributor saying that he had a strong preference to keep them in, so I put them back. Don't want to be accused of censorship, after all!
If you are uncertain or uncomfortable, you can always contact JR and ask him to look into it. That way the onus does not fall on you.
11/05/2011
leatherlover leatherlover
I also think excessive cuss words take away from a review. I don't mind them here and there, but there should be a limit.
11/05/2011
GonetoLovehoney GonetoLovehoney
Hmm, what about using curse words as an additive for alliteration? Just a question I'm curious about.
11/05/2011
Alan & Michele Alan & Michele
I don't recall ever hearing any official stance on this, so I'd leave them in and let his peers (or lack of positive votes) call him out on it if they want to. The way we understood it, Editors are only supposed to correct spelling, grammar, punctuation and remove any emoticons or chat speak. If they've included any serious misinformation, like saying it's ok to boil Cyberskin, or if they've violated TOS with racial comments or something of that sort, you should return it to the contributor with a note explaining why it can't be published as is. Anything else could be considered censorship.
11/05/2011
biggieaddict biggieaddict
As a military brat, it doesn't bother me. Not in print anyway. In person it depends on context. Referencing what Alan & Michele said, are editors allowed to return reviews with comments along the lines of "What about the strength and features of the included Vibe? How fast did the lube dry?" etc? The editors role seems pretty limited otherwise.
11/05/2011
Shellz31 Shellz31
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
Hey all---

I just ran across something in a review I haven't seen before. The reviewer had added a bunch of extra swear words that didn't really do anything to add to the review. I'm not against swear words, I mean, this is an ...
When I came across one of these early on, I sent it to the admin. But the review just ran the item down the whole way through with foul language. It was totally offensive. There was no way I was putting my name (as editor) to that!
11/05/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by biggieaddict
As a military brat, it doesn't bother me. Not in print anyway. In person it depends on context. Referencing what Alan & Michele said, are editors allowed to return reviews with comments along the lines of "What about the strength and ...
Ehh, that's a touchy one too. Realistically the editor should only be fixing grammar, and only what grammar doesn't change the voice of the reviewer. Like the Oxford comma. That could change the voice of the reviewer, so it really shouldn't be added. That being said, some editors do send things back if there are more questions, but things like the strengths and features of a vibe or how fast a lube dried are really things that a mentor should be doing. As an editor, you're just there to make the review readable, not change the content or go back and forth with the reviewer to ask them to change it.

Sammi should be along to answer definitively I believe, but you can always message or email her with editor program related questions as well.
11/07/2011
Jobthingy Jobthingy
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim
Not sure of the Official stance on this one.

For me, even thought my mouth can be 100' below the sewer at times, a review that had a bunch of cussing would turn me off. Yes, this is an adult site but that does not mean we can cus like ...
I feel the same way. I like to write reviews from the stance that a complete stranger, unknown to Eden, is looking for a review on a product. They google and blammo, that review is what they come across. Surely they do not want to read a bunch of cussing.

Now, catch me in real life and it is a whole other ball game
11/07/2011
Antipova Antipova
Quote:
Originally posted by Jobthingy
I feel the same way. I like to write reviews from the stance that a complete stranger, unknown to Eden, is looking for a review on a product. They google and blammo, that review is what they come across. Surely they do not want to read a bunch of ...
That's kind of how I feel, too. Like, yes. We're all adults. And part of being an adult is being respectful of strangers who happen to amble over and read our reviews. There are people who are pretty sensitive---and while I'm pretty much possible to offend, personally, I understand that not everybody's the same way.

I swear plenty around company where it's the norm, or even if it's not the norm but 'fuck' was poetically necessary.

But, when I walk into a new room for the first time, I keep my diction classy until I figure out what kind of situation I'm in, and then adjust my mouth accordingly. I don't like offending people.
11/07/2011
P'Gell P'Gell
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
Hey all---

I just ran across something in a review I haven't seen before. The reviewer had added a bunch of extra swear words that didn't really do anything to add to the review. I'm not against swear words, I mean, this is an ...
You might want to send the review to an Administrator for his or her POV. That's what I would do.
11/07/2011
Antipova Antipova
Quote:
Originally posted by P'Gell
You might want to send the review to an Administrator for his or her POV. That's what I would do.
I'm going to do that if it ever pops up again. Wish I had thought of that the first time
11/07/2011
Antipova Antipova
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
That's kind of how I feel, too. Like, yes. We're all adults. And part of being an adult is being respectful of strangers who happen to amble over and read our reviews. There are people who are pretty sensitive---and while I'm pretty much ...
So, that would have been accurate if I had typed "pretty much impossible to offend. "
11/07/2011
Kindred Kindred
Quote:
Originally posted by P'Gell
You might want to send the review to an Administrator for his or her POV. That's what I would do.
Just an FYI, when you forward a review to an Admin, it counts as one of your daily allotted reviews. I know it may not be an issue for you since you've had trouble getting reviews to edit.
11/07/2011
P'Gell P'Gell
Quote:
Originally posted by Kindred
Just an FYI, when you forward a review to an Admin, it counts as one of your daily allotted reviews. I know it may not be an issue for you since you've had trouble getting reviews to edit.
I don't even know if you get the points when you do this. I've never had to. I sent one back to the reviewer, though, she never contacted me and someone else picked it up and it was published with my original edits etc. HOW they got it through with the problems with the summary, I'll never know.

The only things I seem to be able to pick up lately are follow ups... *sigh* I have to get up earlier or go to bed later, or something.
11/07/2011
aliceinthehole aliceinthehole
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
Ok, got a message from the contributor saying that he had a strong preference to keep them in, so I put them back. Don't want to be accused of censorship, after all!
sounds like you might wanna PM the user and let him know if he wants a mentor, you're available! good mentorship might help with writing style improvements.
11/07/2011
mistressg mistressg
Eh. I'm not an editor, but personally cussing doesn't usually bother me too much. In certain contexts it can be totally obscene, but I'm usually fine with it.
11/07/2011
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Cussing doesn't bug me in real life, or even in most posts. I curse like a sailor in real life. But I read the review you are talking about and I found it hard to get through--not because I was offended, it just seemed really unnecessary. And to be honest I found it annoying. I like to keep cursing out of my reviews for the most part. I think if it can be done in humor, or with point-there is a difference than saying fuck to say fuck.
11/07/2011
Beck Beck
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
Cussing doesn't bug me in real life, or even in most posts. I curse like a sailor in real life. But I read the review you are talking about and I found it hard to get through--not because I was offended, it just seemed really unnecessary. And to ...
This is what I was going to say also.
11/07/2011
LQ LQ
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
Cussing doesn't bug me in real life, or even in most posts. I curse like a sailor in real life. But I read the review you are talking about and I found it hard to get through--not because I was offended, it just seemed really unnecessary. And to ...
Agreed. There's a point where it does start to feel a bit like a teenager acting like "Oooh! Naughty words! I'm a big rebel!"

It may be biased & unfair considering the mouth on me, but I'd probably take a review full of cussing less seriously than another. I get irritated with the reviews that think they're erotica too, though, so maybe I'm just picky.

But, put it this way... I'm never going to say "Man, I wish that review had more cussing in it." It's not something I miss if it's not there, but it is something that can definitely irritate me if excessive.
11/07/2011
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by LQ
Agreed. There's a point where it does start to feel a bit like a teenager acting like "Oooh! Naughty words! I'm a big rebel!"

It may be biased & unfair considering the mouth on me, but I'd probably take a review full ...
I agree on the erotica thing as well. I dont mind suggestions or people saying how much they enjoyed it but when it seriously becomes a play by play-no thanks.

I think the problem with the review in question was the tone, it was a very negative sounding review. Not negative towards the product but just really like ornery and disgruntle towards life type thing. Where it came off as not a review but something else entirely.
And not even just that to be rude about the makers is not cool. If I have something wrong with the product I try not taking it out on the makers of it, and be overtly negative and harsh about them as people. There is a way to say you didnt like an aspect of a product without coming off the way the review did.
11/07/2011
Ansley Ansley
I don't. It's not my place as editor to be concerned with those things. I correct grammar and spelling and sometimes change a word to make a sentence flow better, but I would never remove curse words or anything of that nature. I let the votes speak for themselves. Same goes for misinformation. That's not on me. As a mentor, that would be my position to do so, but not as an editor.
11/07/2011
Antipova Antipova
Quote:
Originally posted by Ansley
I don't. It's not my place as editor to be concerned with those things. I correct grammar and spelling and sometimes change a word to make a sentence flow better, but I would never remove curse words or anything of that nature. I let the ...
Yeah. This was the first time I had ever done anything more than fixing spelling, changing an adjective to an adverb if it was describing a verb, adding or removing commas, em-dashes, maybe adding an 'and' if I was joining two sentence fragments that were right next to each other.

And, I guess at the end of the day, since I put them back, I've still never changed a wording, because the reviewer's voice is important.
11/07/2011
Ansley Ansley
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
Yeah. This was the first time I had ever done anything more than fixing spelling, changing an adjective to an adverb if it was describing a verb, adding or removing commas, em-dashes, maybe adding an 'and' if I was joining two sentence ...
It is so tempting to correct it, though. We who are in love with Eden want to protect her reputation and see that nothing but the best is delivered to the audience, but sometimes we just have to let it go.
11/07/2011
  • 1
  • 2
Total posts: 35
Unique posters: 21