What is a good web cam for doing video reviews? Or would a camera be OK?

  • Get a Free Rabbit Vibe with Orders $59+

What is a good web cam for doing video reviews? Or would a camera be OK?

P'Gell P'Gell
I'm not the most technical person, although I learn quickly. We don't have one of those web cam thingies on top of our computers, BUT, I've been thinking of doing some video reviews (you all do such good jobs, I'm jealous!) but I have NO idea what to use to record it.

Can one use a regular digital camera? Or is a web cam necessary? What is a good quality, but not too expensive web cam, if that is better? (From where I sit, anything under $50.00 would be "inexpensive." Am I being unrealistic?)

If those who do reviews could help me with this, I'd really appreciate it a lot.

TIA!
09/28/2010
  • Buy 3 Items for $70
  • Buy 3 Items for $50
  • Buy 3 Items for $30
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Add Some Buzz To Your Favourite Toy & Save 60% On Kit
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Tori Rebel Tori Rebel
I need to know too! My digital camera doesn't pick up sound worth a damn so I'm in the market for an external webcam.
09/28/2010
Envy Envy
I use a Logitech Communicate STX. It's not made anymore, (I don't think), but try to find similar cameras. I like them, quality is pretty good, built in mic, lens shutter, etc. (I use them for Skype calls.)
09/28/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
All of my videos except the burning lube video are done with a built in camera on my laptop. The lube video was done on the wife's digital video camera. We got it at Wally world, on sale for like $150.00. I can not tell any difference between them.

There are defiantly web cams for your computer that are cheaper in price and will work just as good.
09/28/2010
P'Gell P'Gell
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim
All of my videos except the burning lube video are done with a built in camera on my laptop. The lube video was done on the wife's digital video camera. We got it at Wally world, on sale for like $150.00. I can not tell any difference between ...
So, a camera with good sound is good? Would a really nice dig camera would work? We have a really nice Sony Cybershot, with 8.1 megapixels, which picks up sound fairly well. It's been discontinued, so I got it for a good price a few years ago. (Right before the economy went South.) I'd like to not have to buy anything new.

Hmmm. Good to know. Maybe I'll try a test video.

Thanks, guys.

Goth, you said yours has all the stuff built in? Does it sit on top of your computer? I only have two desk tops and a REALLY old used lap top, so it would have to be compatible with those.

I'm going to try the Sony and see what happens.

Now, I'm nervous. It's so much easier writing.
09/28/2010
Envy Envy
Yes, mine sits under my monitor on my desk.

I have this one: link
09/28/2010
P'Gell P'Gell
Quote:
Originally posted by Envy
Yes, mine sits under my monitor on my desk.

I have this one: link
THANK YOU! Not expensive at all. I just added it to my Wish List on Amazon. Cool.

I'm about to try a test run with my Sony and see what happens, too. The problem is, I'm a perfectionist, and will probably pick the video to death.

Thanks for the referral, Goth. It looks good. It's all I would need? The software is in there and all?
09/28/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by P'Gell
So, a camera with good sound is good? Would a really nice dig camera would work? We have a really nice Sony Cybershot, with 8.1 megapixels, which picks up sound fairly well. It's been discontinued, so I got it for a good price a few years ago. ...
I say go for it. There is nothing to worry about till you hit the SUBMIT button. LOL!

The first video is the hardest, but just be yourself and have fun. You can always edit the video if you need.

Best of luck.
09/28/2010
Tori Rebel Tori Rebel
Quote:
Originally posted by Envy
Yes, mine sits under my monitor on my desk.

I have this one: link
ooh, yay, thanks...I actually have a few amazon gift cards burning a hole in my pocket at the moment...
09/28/2010
Envy Envy
Quote:
Originally posted by P'Gell
THANK YOU! Not expensive at all. I just added it to my Wish List on Amazon. Cool.

I'm about to try a test run with my Sony and see what happens, too. The problem is, I'm a perfectionist, and will probably pick the video to death. ...
Also, I suggest downloading the drivers from the Logitech site rather than from off the CD. They are more up to date.
09/28/2010
Carrie Ann Carrie Ann
Quote:
Originally posted by P'Gell
So, a camera with good sound is good? Would a really nice dig camera would work? We have a really nice Sony Cybershot, with 8.1 megapixels, which picks up sound fairly well. It's been discontinued, so I got it for a good price a few years ago. ...
I always use my digital camera on the video setting. It's a mid grade nikon and it works pretty good so long as I have enough light.
09/28/2010
Tori Rebel Tori Rebel
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Ann
I always use my digital camera on the video setting. It's a mid grade nikon and it works pretty good so long as I have enough light.
I've seen your reviews and the sound is great - my digital is a Nikon as well, although on the fairly inexpensive side, and the sound BLOWS. Were there any tricks or settings you had to adjust to get the sound right??
09/28/2010
P'Gell P'Gell
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Ann
I always use my digital camera on the video setting. It's a mid grade nikon and it works pretty good so long as I have enough light.
I think that's what I'm going to do. I just did about 10 test videos. Two of which were what I wanted, with my Sony HD camera. I was surprised at how well they turned out!

The only problem is controlling the frame. Yeah, as I work in a conservative field, as does My Man, I kind of want my privacy. Also, my kids are all over the net. They and their friends don't need to see me extolling the virtues of my Wahl or my Body vibrator or Astroglide Anal Shooters in full form! I admire those who are brave enough to do full face videos. Maybe if circumstance change.

All I did was use afternoon light, southern exposure, in our bedroom, one light-bulb in the overhead fan fixture and a light behind me, and everything looked good. I really had no idea that this camera was able to do such good videos, as I've only used it to film my nephew toddling around before.
09/28/2010
Carrie Ann Carrie Ann
Quote:
Originally posted by Tori Rebel
I've seen your reviews and the sound is great - my digital is a Nikon as well, although on the fairly inexpensive side, and the sound BLOWS. Were there any tricks or settings you had to adjust to get the sound right??
Not that I remember? I just use it fairly close up - it's usually within two feet of me and I actually talk a bit louder than it sounds like I do in the video.

Mines a weird camera, though. I can't remember what they're called but it's in between a point and shoot and a DSLR - a bridge camera, I think they called it in reviews I read. So it does a very few manual settings, a lot of customizable point and shoot stuff and, I guess, decent video. Lol.

Our old camera was crap for video - would only take like 4 minutes and had no sound, so I guess it all depends on the camera. I'd say keep experimenting!
09/28/2010
ScottA ScottA
Another thing to consider would be separately recording the sound using a nicer mic (say on your computer, Audacity works great for that) and then combining it with the video later.

Either way I'm not sure about a webcam, the ones I've seen look like they're not very stable compared to a real camera on a tripod.
09/29/2010
Viktor Vysheslav Malkin Viktor Vysheslav Malkin
My web cam, shoots pretty good video, as do a lot of web cams out there.

As others have stated, don't think there is a problem
09/29/2010
PassionQT PassionQT
I have a logitech 9000 webcam ($60 to $80) and a JVC everio camcorder. I usually use the camcorder . The main thing to remember is when you format them, don't choose anything too large, (example you can format it 1280, 720, 640, 480, etc) , because that will throw off the voice and cause other glitches. I have been formattting in widescreen mode and they seem to flow ok.
09/30/2010
P'Gell P'Gell
I think I'm going to use my Sony HD with 8.1 megapixels. It has good sound (at least on the test vids I did and then watched on my computer) and they weren't dark or too blurry. The quality was actually better than I thought.

Of course, I can't find a tripod in our house to save my life. Called a friend, to whom I know I lent one (and can't remember, but I think she returned it) and she lent me one of hers.

Today is the last day I can do it this week, before Monday. (One kid home on Friday.) So, unless she goes out tomorrow, I will have to do some more test runs.

Now, I have no idea how to edit it. There should be something on my computer which does this. Yeah?

I'm clueless.

Thank you all for your help. I was really happy with how the test vids turned out. Now I just need to learn how to turn them into real videos.

This is new for me. I appreciate all your help.

09/30/2010
Carrie Ann Carrie Ann
Quote:
Originally posted by P'Gell
I think I'm going to use my Sony HD with 8.1 megapixels. It has good sound (at least on the test vids I did and then watched on my computer) and they weren't dark or too blurry. The quality was actually better than I thought.

Of ...
Your computer, assuming it's a pc, should have windows movie maker on it. If it doesn't, you can download it from Windows Live for free.

Also, be sure to email me for the intro file if you decide to do a video review so you can get your gift card compensation!
09/30/2010
P'Gell P'Gell
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Ann
Your computer, assuming it's a pc, should have windows movie maker on it. If it doesn't, you can download it from Windows Live for free.

Also, be sure to email me for the intro file if you decide to do a video review so you can get ...
Oh, I started an other post. I email you? Do I put the into music on? I know my kids know how to make movies, is there a tutorial?

OK, I'll e mail you.
09/30/2010
Total posts: 20
Unique posters: 8