Question about editing/proof reading & mentors

  • Get a FREE Bullet with Orders $59+

Question about editing/proof reading & mentors

Love Buzz Love Buzz
Im just wondering if there is anyway that I can show a review I;ve written in the extended template to another contributor to have it proof read or to get suggestions?

I only ask as Mistress Kay (my last wonderful mentor)thought my reviews were good enough to not need a mentor, but I feel like they can always be improved but dont know if someone can look at it and give me feedback without tying up a mentor who could be working with another student.

Any feedback would be helpul

Also a 2nd question - with the mentor program do you have to do 2 reviews with a mentor before you can graduate? (as again I dont want to tie up a mentor waiting for my next review)

thanks
10/27/2010
  • Buy 1 Toy, Get 1 FREE
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Add Some Buzz To Your Favourite Toy & Save 60% On Kit
  • Pick Any 2 E-Stim Toys, Get 60% Off A Kit
  • Stock Up On Gifts! Save 80%. Limited Quantity
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Sir Sir
You DO have to do at least two in order to graduate. Since I'm actually busy lately, I cannot, but I hope that you are able to get someone to!
10/27/2010
Tori Rebel Tori Rebel
Sir is right - 2 reviews to graduate. But I'm sure there would be a mentor plenty happy to take you on, as there are plenty available right now. Normally I'd volunteer myself but I actually turned down 2 requests yesterday because I'd gotten so many at once.
10/27/2010
cherryredhead88 cherryredhead88
I will be your mentor! Just because your reviews are good does not mean you can't be in the mentor program. There is always something you can improve on. Not saying you would need it, but it can't hurt. I have been through 5 mentors already and am on my 6th, I think? I am an expert at the vibes but there are tons of other things to write on.

P.S. I am available
10/27/2010
cherryredhead88 cherryredhead88
Oh and don't worry about tying mentors up, have you seen the list? Lol That's what the program is all about
10/27/2010
J's Alley J's Alley
Any of us would be glad to help you out. Just because you have good reviews doesn't mean we aren't willing to go through the mentor program with you
10/27/2010
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by J's Alley
Any of us would be glad to help you out. Just because you have good reviews doesn't mean we aren't willing to go through the mentor program with you
I'd like to second this. There are plenty of available mentors, all happy to help out
10/27/2010
Love Buzz Love Buzz
This will teach me not to start a post shortly before I head to bed, so many replies.

Thank you all for your incredibly helpful comments, I'm going to go sign up with cherrryred to be my mentor as we have pretty similar tastes in toys.

I hope I didn't come of as up myself or conceited by saying my reviews were already good -> If anyone ever saw them in draft form they would see why I like having a mentor to give me feedback. I think there's always at least something I can improve, It would be great if there were a way to share reviews written in the extended format with another reviewer before you publish it. I know you can do the copy & paste thing, but for some reason it doesn't flow as well for me.

Thanks for your help
10/27/2010
ToyGeek ToyGeek
If you're asking someone else to give your writing the once-over, outside of the mentor program, you can always type them in Wordpad or similar instead of the template, and share via email that way. It's safer anyway, so you don't have to worry about losing your work if your browser crashes or the server glitches. Alternately, if you really want to show someone a review saved in template form before it goes live, you could probably send a screen capture. Just make sure the receiver expects a jpg, so it doesn't get deleted as spam.
10/27/2010
Love Buzz Love Buzz
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyGeek
If you're asking someone else to give your writing the once-over, outside of the mentor program, you can always type them in Wordpad or similar instead of the template, and share via email that way. It's safer anyway, so you don't have ...
You always seem to have the best ideas Toy Geek.
10/27/2010
ToyGeek ToyGeek
Quote:
Originally posted by Love Buzz
You always seem to have the best ideas Toy Geek.
*modest blushing*

Aw, shucks. Thanks!
10/27/2010
Shellz31 Shellz31
Quote:
Originally posted by Love Buzz
Im just wondering if there is anyway that I can show a review I;ve written in the extended template to another contributor to have it proof read or to get suggestions?

I only ask as Mistress Kay (my last wonderful mentor)thought my reviews ...
Actually, I have been thinking the same. I'd like a friend who can just go over it to check cause I often make up my own phrases or make such silly little mistakes. I type mine in word but it doesnt pick all the mistakes up like - your instead of you're.
I'd prefer not to hold up a mentor either cause I'd like to find one and stay there..lol.
The way I think of it is .... Im like a kid who is at the age where the training wheels need to come off but I can't quite take that step...lol. I know it sounds silly.
It's very easy to miss a mistake in your own work.
11/11/2010
Love Buzz Love Buzz
I would always be happy to proof read something for you but what I've come to find is that things we - as aussies, say, the way we spell and some of our colloquialisms are so foreign to Americans that I need an American to make sure my reviews are understandable!

If only I could get rid of this darn writers block!
I wish I had word, it might make things a tad bit easier!
11/11/2010
Shellz31 Shellz31
Quote:
Originally posted by Love Buzz
I would always be happy to proof read something for you but what I've come to find is that things we - as aussies, say, the way we spell and some of our colloquialisms are so foreign to Americans that I need an American to make sure my reviews ...
Thanks - I would have offered the same but I'm not sure I'd be of much use.
I've found the same - we say some things differently and we like the use of 'u' in our words.
Kinda makes it interesting to write reviews...lol.
I like word - I always keep a copy of all my reviews and I know they are safely saved. I learnt the hard way with saving on the review template - it saved it as the original copy after I had made a heap of changes. I was PEEVED! Lol.
11/12/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
I have cut and pasted my review and sent it via PM to another reviewer for prof reading. That was a big help. I would be happy to do the same.
11/12/2010
Love Buzz Love Buzz
Yeah, I just lost a huge chunk of my wife swap review. The one I've been really struggling with. A Whole section dissapeared when my browser crashed grrrr!
I think I might be having so much trouble as there are already some amazing reviews out there and I keep comparing mine and it just isn't anywhere near as good. Hopefully after some sleep Ill be able to pull it together!
11/12/2010
Gary Gary
Quote:
Originally posted by Love Buzz
Yeah, I just lost a huge chunk of my wife swap review. The one I've been really struggling with. A Whole section dissapeared when my browser crashed grrrr!
I think I might be having so much trouble as there are already some amazing reviews out ...
I always write everything in a word doc. and then copy the sections.
11/17/2010
Love Buzz Love Buzz
Although I haven't seen a thread announcing it I'm very excited to see the new Eden Tasks Dashboard in my contributor account. I could be wrong, but I think this is exactly the kind of thing I've been dreaming of to help me with reviews.

I've already written a few reviews which have been voted highly on and don't necessarily need a mentor, but a proof reader, heck yeah. Cherryredhead88 has been kind enough to step up as my current mentor/editor and I'm very greatful to her.get help with editing without having to tie up mentors.
Yet Again Eden Rocks!
11/26/2010
cherryredhead88 cherryredhead88
Quote:
Originally posted by Love Buzz
Although I haven't seen a thread announcing it I'm very excited to see the new Eden Tasks Dashboard in my contributor account. I could be wrong, but I think this is exactly the kind of thing I've been dreaming of to help me with ...
I am happy to be your permanent proof reader for as long as you like! The rest of my students aren't even working on reviews, and IMO that is tying me up more because there are people who could actually be working on reviews who could use the help that are not getting it.
11/26/2010
Total posts: 19
Unique posters: 10