Originally posted by
whats the difference between jelly and silicone?
Jelly is very porous - harboring bacteria which can lead to various health issues. Jelly also has various chemicals that many people have adverse reactions to. The most common symptom is a burning sensation. We've used jelly toys in the past - but my wife has developed a sensitivity to the chemicals - so if we ant to use them we need a condom.
Silicone on the other hand is 'inert' - that is there are no chemicals that you can develop a sensitivity to. They are also considered 'non-porous' meaning it is difficult for bacteria to get a foot hold and grow.
Thorough washing and periodic sanitizing is a good idea. Some use diluted bleach solutions - I prefer alcohol.
EF also has material descriptions;