Silicone Toy and Silicone Lube, Health Issues?

  • Get FREE 5 Gifts with Orders $59+

Silicone Toy and Silicone Lube, Health Issues?

sktb0007 sktb0007
From what I understand, you should only use water-based lubes with silicone toys because silicone lube can damage the silicone toy.. Is that correct?

I am wondering, is there any health issues that can stem from using silicone lube on silicone toys? Or is it just the toy that can become damaged?

I'm still pretty new to all of this, and I always follow the safety guidelines, but when I look through the information on material safety, it doesn't really say WHY so I was just curious about if a person was to use silicone lube, would the person using the toy put them self at some sort of health risk?
09/26/2011
  • Buy 3 Items for $70
  • Buy 3 Items for $50
  • Buy 3 Items for $30
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Add Some Buzz To Your Favourite Toy & Save 60% On Kit
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
bdvnt bdvnt
Quote:
Originally posted by sktb0007
From what I understand, you should only use water-based lubes with silicone toys because silicone lube can damage the silicone toy.. Is that correct?

I am wondering, is there any health issues that can stem from using silicone lube on silicone ...
Great question! I'm looking forward to hearing the answer on this one too.
09/26/2011
Redboxbaby Redboxbaby
As I understand it, silicone lube adheres to silicone toys, can make them sort of blister (sometimes this is only temporary though, sometimes it is permanent). It is recommended to spot test on your toy if you want to use the two together. Check out this Lube compatibility workshop that Dwtim put on.

I have never read or heard of anything in regards to adverse reactions to silicone lube (I will check back on that matter, maybe someone has more insight). It can be really difficult to wash off and can leave your shower/tub floor slicker than snot, so be aware!
09/26/2011
Alan & Michele Alan & Michele
I really don't know if it's a health risk or not but I kind of doubt it. Last year Alan & I were having a little prostate play session and I screwed up and grabbed a silicone lube and doused one of our Tantus silks with it. About 10 seconds later he tells me the toy is dragging like crazy and needs more lube. Well... no. What actually happened is that the surface of the toy had become really "gritty", for lack of a better word, with what seemed like sticky little balls of silicone. Anyhoo, the toy was a goner, but it all washed off of our skin with no more difficulty than the lube alone would have, and neither of us had any sort of reaction from it. That might not seem like a good base of evidence, but between Alan & I we've had reactions to most lubes on the market and several sex toy materials too, so I think if it was really toxic or something, then one of us would have at least had the standard rash or burning skin.
09/27/2011
sktb0007 sktb0007
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan & Michele
I really don't know if it's a health risk or not but I kind of doubt it. Last year Alan & I were having a little prostate play session and I screwed up and grabbed a silicone lube and doused one of our Tantus silks with it. About 10 ...
Thanks for the response Alan & Michele!! Maybe you can answer another question for me about silicone products... When using a lubricated condom on silicone toys, will that also harm the toy? And if it will, does it do "less harm" than using a silicone lube, or is it all the same?

These questions probably seem really stupid, but I like being able to know the ins and outs of things :/

Thanks again for your answer!
09/27/2011
Alan & Michele Alan & Michele
Quote:
Originally posted by sktb0007
Thanks for the response Alan & Michele!! Maybe you can answer another question for me about silicone products... When using a lubricated condom on silicone toys, will that also harm the toy? And if it will, does it do "less harm" than ...
Oooh I can't give you a lot of input on that one. Alan has a latex allergy so the only condom we use is Trojan Supra. Supra does have silicone lube on it and we've never had them harm a silicone sex toy, so it's probably a high grade lubricant (certain quality silicone lubes do NOT hurt sex toys). I'm assuming that they use the same lube on their Ecstasy line, which are the only 2 types of Trojans that have silicone lube on them.

I don't know if it would help, but we have a list of condoms that are coated in water-based lubes on our website if that's something you want to be careful of: Lubes on Condoms

Oh! And no question is a "stupid" question... we're all here to learn from each other
09/27/2011
Total posts: 6
Unique posters: 4