Large Collection Storage Ideas?

- Kira - - Kira -
I've run into a problem. We have our collection in our nightstand which is two drawers that are very hard to open. We have officially run out of space and we have now spilt over to the top of the nightstand as well as the platform of our bed. I have nowhere to put my phone or drinks at night! We just purged about half of our collection but at the rate we add new things we ended up adding more than we got rid of in about a month. X.x

I've looked at the chests on here but they are too small to hold everything we have. We need something that will hold everything but that will also lock as we have a young, curious child. I've looked at ottomans but I can't find any that lock. We've found some Rubbermaid bins but they aren't the most attractive for the bedroom. I saw on one post that one person was using a locking cabinet which was awesome but it was see through so that won't work.

The other issue with the big Rubbermaid chests is that we'd just be throwing everything in one big space so we'd have to go digging for things which might be hard to find exactly what we're looking for. So maybe something with some shelving would be ideal. Then we're back to the issue of finding shelving that locks.

Help! Anyone with larger collections and nosey children have any ideas? I'm not very crafty so I can't make anything myself.
10/16/2011
  • Weekly Special: Hot Vibes! Buy 1 Vibrator And Get 1 FREE
  • Better Price Sale - Save 50%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 70%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 60%
  • Better Price - Save 40%
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
indiglo indiglo
Lots of people use big tool boxes. They usually have various compartments, and you can ones that lock. They aren't super expensive, and you can get several to organize - maybe one for glass, one for vibes, one of anal toys, etc. Someone on here uses a large cedar hope chest - and many of those have locks on them. You could go with a safe, a lock box, even a suitcase that you keep a small lock on.
10/16/2011
- Kira - - Kira -
Quote:
Originally posted by indiglo
Lots of people use big tool boxes. They usually have various compartments, and you can ones that lock. They aren't super expensive, and you can get several to organize - maybe one for glass, one for vibes, one of anal toys, etc. Someone on ... More
The hope chests are really pretty but holy cow they're $200! I thought about a tool box but that would look rather conspicuous in a bedroom if we're not doing construction.
10/16/2011
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
I've seen a lot of people use those stackable containers, that are made of plastic and have multiple drawers. Usually used for like bathroom stuff. But they dont lock so there is that issue. They have cute trunks at target for pretty cheap that come with locks. The steamer or luggage ones. The ones Ive seen are from like 40 to 60 and hold a big amount. I think walmart sells them as well for around the same price.
10/16/2011
- Kira - - Kira -
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
I've seen a lot of people use those stackable containers, that are made of plastic and have multiple drawers. Usually used for like bathroom stuff. But they dont lock so there is that issue. They have cute trunks at target for pretty cheap that ... More
Those clear ones are what I really wanted to use but yeah, they're clear and don't lock so not so great with the kiddie. That's what I use for my makeup and I love those things.

The Steamer ones I found were $400-$500! Am I looking at the wrong things?
10/16/2011
Taylor Taylor
what about something like this trunk? You could lock it and store it under the bed or in a closet.
10/16/2011
- Kira - - Kira -
Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor
what about something like this trunk? You could lock it and store it under the bed or in a closet.
I had to pull out a measuring tape on that one 'cause I wasn't sure if it was big or small from the pictures lol. That looks like it might be a good size (for now!). It comes it hot pink!! That doesn't match our room at all but I love hot pink! Gonna run that one by my husband. It looks way nicer than the Rubbermaid one.
10/16/2011
Starkiller87 Starkiller87
Quote:
Originally posted by - Kira -
I had to pull out a measuring tape on that one 'cause I wasn't sure if it was big or small from the pictures lol. That looks like it might be a good size (for now!). It comes it hot pink!! That doesn't match our room at all but I love ... More
The ones like the one taylor posted they have there. But in like blacks and muted colors. They have bright colors as well. But those are what I was referring to. I havent checked the site, but I always see them when I go to both of the stores because I always think of getting one for the exact purpose. My toys are everywhere and Id like to put them in one nice place.

They are pretty roomy too actually. Way bigger than you would think.
10/16/2011
- Kira - - Kira -
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller87
The ones like the one taylor posted they have there. But in like blacks and muted colors. They have bright colors as well. But those are what I was referring to. I havent checked the site, but I always see them when I go to both of the stores because ... More
I'll have to go to Target and look. The WalMart here didn't have anything but our Target usually has decent stuff. It's forty-five minutes from my house so it'll have to be a special trip.
10/16/2011
Elnoa Elnoa
Underbed storage?
10/17/2011
Mr. E Mr. E
We started with a shoe box, then moved up to a plastic toolbox. We quickly outgrew it, so we switched to one of those rolling carry on suitcases. It was a great solution because it looked perfectly normal sitting in the corner of a closet. We outgrew it so we finally upgraded to the best toy box ever... a large roll-around mechanics tool chest. Lots or drawers to categorize and organize, plus it locks to keep the kids out. It has proven to be perfect for our large collection of toys. I admit that it would certainly look out of place in the bedroom; however, it looks perfectly fine in our sexercise/playroom.
10/17/2011
Redboxbaby Redboxbaby
We have a cedar hope/toy chest with a lock on it. It is plenty big to house all our toys, our Throe, our movies, our crops, floggers, our magazines, and our books.

We used our nightstand for years, then a part of our closet. It is so nice to have a dedicated spot for everything now, and I don't have to worry our dog-sitter will find our stuff.
10/17/2011
married with children married with children
tool storage bins work pretty good, though they are not as pretty as one might like. I use my gun safe. Its there anyway, and has room for toys to be stored in it, and it keeps the kids eyes off our collection.
10/18/2011
CafeSabroso CafeSabroso
How about a large, military-style foot locker to go at the foot of the bed? Something like this? Apparently they are also available in nicer (less spartan) styles. They have locking closures! Price isn't bad either.
10/20/2011
Mr. John Mr. John
Quote:
Originally posted by - Kira -
I've run into a problem. We have our collection in our nightstand which is two drawers that are very hard to open. We have officially run out of space and we have now spilt over to the top of the nightstand as well as the platform of our bed. ... More
We use an amoire. It's 2 door with multiple shelves for easy viewing. It also lock's if need be.
03/18/2013
Allison.Wilder Allison.Wilder
I bought this (in pink) and it works well. Sterilite footlocker
03/22/2013
Nkev Nkev
Quote:
Originally posted by indiglo
Lots of people use big tool boxes. They usually have various compartments, and you can ones that lock. They aren't super expensive, and you can get several to organize - maybe one for glass, one for vibes, one of anal toys, etc. Someone on ... More
great idea. i just got one for free in my garage... that's going to have to be set up in the closet now lol!
03/23/2013
karenm karenm
Awesome question, and great replies! I have been wondering the same thing.

I don't even have a nightstand, just a few stacking boxes and spare space in drawers and it really isn't working. The toolbox and footlocker suggestions are ones I intend to look into.
03/31/2013
chicmichiw chicmichiw
I got a locking, two-door cabinet with open shelves. There's an open area under the shelves. I keep small toys/non-uniformly packaged toys on the shelves and the rectangular boxes down below. It's all nice and hidden and neat.
03/31/2013
Total posts: 19
Unique posters: 14