Cloth Pads

Rockin' Rockin'
I'm thinking about getting some cloth pads to use during periods. I've always been a store-bought pad user (I use Stayfree and Kotex products) but I'm curious about cloth pads.

Anyone use cloth pads? Anyone used them and then went back to storebought pads? Where do you get your cloth pads? I'd love to have some recommendations of good brands/sellers even for people's stores on Etsy (I think I've seen some there).

Share your cloth pad knowledge/experience/r ecommendations!
03/14/2011
  • Weekly Special: Save 40% on Rabbit Vibrators and G-spot Toys
  • Annual Clearance - Save 40%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 50%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 60%
  • FREE extra attachment for more pleasure
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Remigirl Remigirl
I've never actually used them but I think they are a great idea! I use organic cotton tampons myself. I just thought I would add that you might try a health food store or natural living center. If they don't have them in stock they are really good about ordering things that they don't already have there. Good luck! I look forward to seeing if anyone has actually used them. Although I think my husband may be a little freaked out if I had a laundry day for my pads
03/14/2011
primrose88 primrose88
I use cloth pads and I love them! I transitioned to cloth a little over a year ago. i like them because they are way more comfortable than the bleached paper and plastic ones. they keep you dryer in my opinion. they are cost effective and no more running out to Walgreens when you're caught off guard. and they're pretty. i get my pads mainly from two sellers on Etsy, yurtcraft and punky's pads but i would also suggest checking out ebay. yes, it takes a little bit more work to clean them but i think it's worth it.
03/14/2011
Rockin' Rockin'
Quote:
Originally posted by primrose88
I use cloth pads and I love them! I transitioned to cloth a little over a year ago. i like them because they are way more comfortable than the bleached paper and plastic ones. they keep you dryer in my opinion. they are cost effective and no more ... More
Thanks so much for the recommendations! I checked out those two stores and will look on ebay too.

Do you find that the ones with PUL (polyurethane laminate) lining are better? Are ones without PUL lining bad?
03/14/2011
primrose88 primrose88
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockin'
Thanks so much for the recommendations! I checked out those two stores and will look on ebay too.

Do you find that the ones with PUL (polyurethane laminate) lining are better? Are ones without PUL lining bad?
PUL linings are good because they prevent the pad from becoming soaked through and ruining your panties. Although you have to be careful with those to not put them in the dryer because the lining will melt. I don't machine wash or dry mine just to be on the safe side. If you have any other questions about keeping and caring for cloth pads let me know!
03/16/2011
Rockin' Rockin'
Quote:
Originally posted by primrose88
PUL linings are good because they prevent the pad from becoming soaked through and ruining your panties. Although you have to be careful with those to not put them in the dryer because the lining will melt. I don't machine wash or dry mine just ... More
Ooh, ok thanks. I don't use the dryer to dry my clothes so that wouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the good advice. I appreciate it!
03/16/2011
Misfit Momma Misfit Momma
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockin'
Thanks so much for the recommendations! I checked out those two stores and will look on ebay too.

Do you find that the ones with PUL (polyurethane laminate) lining are better? Are ones without PUL lining bad?
I have a few with PUL, nothing wrong with them but I prefer the fleece backed ones. The PUL tends to slip around and makes the pad feel stiffer (although they are slightly thinner).

My fleece backed pads never soak through unless I wear them for too long, or occasionally on a heavy overnight.

PUL will not melt in the dryer, like anything else hang drying can prolong their lifespan though. If you regularly hang dry, you should actually put them in the dryer once in a while to tighten the material up. (I've dried my daughters cloth diapers w/ PUL in the dryer for 2+ years, never had a melt but the PUL seems to break down over time faster than the fleece.)

Whatever brand you choose, I highly suggest minky topped pads. Super soft, and minky doesn't hold stains! If you do get a stain that won't come out in the regular wash, hang it in the sun (wet) for a few hours and the stain should be gone. If that doesn't work, put some lemon juice on before hanging!
03/16/2011
Rockin' Rockin'
Quote:
Originally posted by Misfit Momma
I have a few with PUL, nothing wrong with them but I prefer the fleece backed ones. The PUL tends to slip around and makes the pad feel stiffer (although they are slightly thinner).

My fleece backed pads never soak through unless I wear them ... More
Huh, I wouldn't have thought PUL would slip around, but good to know. I might try a couple of each type just to see what fits/feels better. Thanks for all the tips! You rock.

I dunno if this sounds weird, but I wasn't really worried about stains. I figured they'd get stained anyway, but that's neat that minky-topped ones don't hold stains. Pretty cool.
03/16/2011
Tori Rebel Tori Rebel
I LOVE them. They're so much more comfortable. Unfortunately I can't use them now because I don't have a washer/dryer at home and I send my laundry out and that seems...weird to me. I suppose I could handwash them though. I'm not a tampon user and the kotex and always brands I prefered still chafed me and irritated my ultra-sensitive skin. I've had NO issues with that with cloth, and never had leakage either. I bought most of mine on Etsy, and they're all in really fun patterns too.
03/16/2011
CSEA CSEA
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockin'
I'm thinking about getting some cloth pads to use during periods. I've always been a store-bought pad user (I use Stayfree and Kotex products) but I'm curious about cloth pads.

Anyone use cloth pads? Anyone used them and then went ... More
That sounds so messy! No, haven't heard about them.
03/16/2011
Rockin' Rockin'
Quote:
Originally posted by Tori Rebel
I LOVE them. They're so much more comfortable. Unfortunately I can't use them now because I don't have a washer/dryer at home and I send my laundry out and that seems...weird to me. I suppose I could handwash them though. I'm not a ... More
I checked out Etsy and found a few different sellers. It's neat to see all the patterns! I got all giddy, like I do when I pick out new panties and they're all different colors and patterns. If you have any preferred Etsy sellers, I'd love to hear about them. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
03/16/2011
SapphirexIce SapphirexIce
I use a lunette menstrual cup, no pads or tampons.
03/18/2011
REDRUM REDRUM
I've been more curious about using a menstrual cup.
Pads don't really work for me. They're uncomfortable and I have a heavy flow so they always leak. So I use tampons.
03/18/2011
Tori Rebel Tori Rebel
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockin'
I checked out Etsy and found a few different sellers. It's neat to see all the patterns! I got all giddy, like I do when I pick out new panties and they're all different colors and patterns. If you have any preferred Etsy sellers, I'd ... More
There's a seller called Naturally Hip. I think she might be in Canada, but the ones from her are by far the softest and most comfortable.
03/18/2011
Hot'n'Bothered Hot'n'Bothered
I don't think I could bring myself to use them, to be honest. (This coming from someone who cloth diapers)...

I have been interested in trying 'sea pearls' though!!! I just hate the feeling of pads..
03/18/2011
pinkzombie pinkzombie
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockin'
I'm thinking about getting some cloth pads to use during periods. I've always been a store-bought pad user (I use Stayfree and Kotex products) but I'm curious about cloth pads.

Anyone use cloth pads? Anyone used them and then went ... More
Interesting! I will have to see this.
03/18/2011
Naughty Student Naughty Student
How many should you get? Do you use one a day and wash it at night and put a fresh one for bed?

What do you do if you have to change it at work or some other place? If you go camping and you are on your period will you switch to store pads?????


I'm really curious about this now, lol. It seems better than buying damn pads all the time.
03/18/2011
darkkitty darkkitty
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockin'
I'm thinking about getting some cloth pads to use during periods. I've always been a store-bought pad user (I use Stayfree and Kotex products) but I'm curious about cloth pads.

Anyone use cloth pads? Anyone used them and then went ... More
I would try them! Never have b4 though.
03/18/2011
Rockin' Rockin'
Quote:
Originally posted by Tori Rebel
There's a seller called Naturally Hip. I think she might be in Canada, but the ones from her are by far the softest and most comfortable.
Ooooh! The ones in her store are so pretty! At first I thought the tag would be on the inside (touching the body) and was like, you have got to be kidding me...but then I realized they're on the outside. Whew. Thanks for the recommendation! I'm excited about getting a few, maybe trying out some from different sellers to see what's good.
03/18/2011
Rockin' Rockin'
Quote:
Originally posted by Naughty Student
How many should you get? Do you use one a day and wash it at night and put a fresh one for bed?

What do you do if you have to change it at work or some other place? If you go camping and you are on your period will you switch to store ... More
I think you would get maybe 7-10 or so, then you'd have enough for a few days at least (if you wear one during the day and one at night? I dunno how often to change them). I've seen people who sell packs of them, like 8 or 20 and they are all mixed types, so there are some little ones and some longer/overnight ones.

I dunno if camping would affect them. If you had plastic baggies, you could just keep them in there until you got home, or dunk them in a river? Haha, that might not be a good idea... I don't camp! Good thing, huh?

I plan to get 5 or 10 of them and try them out while I still have store pads, kind of get used to wearing them sometimes, then transition to using just the cloth ones if I like them.
03/18/2011
Naughty Student Naughty Student
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockin'
I think you would get maybe 7-10 or so, then you'd have enough for a few days at least (if you wear one during the day and one at night? I dunno how often to change them). I've seen people who sell packs of them, like 8 or 20 and they are all ... More
Lol, I love camping and going out on outdoor hiking trips...I don't think this would be practical for me. But I love the idea of using these. They look awesome and sound like a money saver.
03/18/2011
Eucaly Eucaly
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockin'
I'm thinking about getting some cloth pads to use during periods. I've always been a store-bought pad user (I use Stayfree and Kotex products) but I'm curious about cloth pads.

Anyone use cloth pads? Anyone used them and then went ... More
They are extremely comfortable... as comfortable as wearing clothing. Really, the comfort factor alone would do it for me even if there were no environmental benefits.

As to cleaning, just keep a plastic bucket with a lot in your bathroom, throw them in there, and dump/replace the water once a day (if you forget, it will stink a little but NOTHING like a diaper pail will). Wash them in a machine when your period is over, dry them in the dryer. They won't stink at all if you do that, and only a few brownish stains (remember, stains that remain after washing are NOT "dirty" as what has occurred is a natural dyeing process, as blood is a dye and the iron in blood "fixes" the dye).
06/08/2011
ToyGurl ToyGurl
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockin'
I'm thinking about getting some cloth pads to use during periods. I've always been a store-bought pad user (I use Stayfree and Kotex products) but I'm curious about cloth pads.

Anyone use cloth pads? Anyone used them and then went ... More
I have been using LunaPads and Lunette cups for a year or two now. I find them to be a lot less digusting, and I would never ever go back to other pads. They have less leaks, and are great for the environment.

Cups are probably the best choice to be honest though. You will have NO LEAKS whatsoever, and you can leave it in for up to 10 hours. They never gain a smell, and and much better for your vaginal health. Please message me if you have any questions because I help promote several of those companies, including LunaPads and Lunette. I would love to help you out!
06/08/2011
Rockin' Rockin'
Quote:
Originally posted by Eucaly
They are extremely comfortable... as comfortable as wearing clothing. Really, the comfort factor alone would do it for me even if there were no environmental benefits.

As to cleaning, just keep a plastic bucket with a lot in your bathroom, ... More
Thanks for all the tips! I really don't care about the stains...I don't know if that seems gross or not. I know that blood just stains and that the cloth itself can still be clean, so that part doesn't bother me.

Where do you get yours? Do you wear ones with a PUL liner or not?
06/08/2011
Rockin' Rockin'
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyGurl
I have been using LunaPads and Lunette cups for a year or two now. I find them to be a lot less digusting, and I would never ever go back to other pads. They have less leaks, and are great for the environment.

Cups are probably the best choice ... More
I have a Diva Cup and have tried it several times. It works okay, but it was hard to remove, and the tip of it would poke me. It also leaked at night at least once, which was surprising. Maybe I sleep oddly.

I might try the cup again, but I always had an issue when I took it out. I'd press on the side of it like the instructions say, so it could collapse a little and be easier to remove. But it would create suction against my vaginal walls and hurt. The little holes that are supposed to keep it from creating suction would be clogged with blood, so they didn't help. :-/

Is there a big difference between Lunette cups and Diva cups? (a bit offtopic but related, heh)
06/08/2011
ToyGurl ToyGurl
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockin'
I have a Diva Cup and have tried it several times. It works okay, but it was hard to remove, and the tip of it would poke me. It also leaked at night at least once, which was surprising. Maybe I sleep oddly.

I might try the cup again, but I ... More
Definitely try a different cup. I have had most success the the Lunette cup because the end is softer and easier to remove. I have HATED the diva ever since the day I first purchased it. Another really nice cup is the MiaCup.

I also have sensitive bits so I had to shop around, luckily I advertise for those companies so I got one free cup from each one and I was able to see which ones worked and which ones didn't.
06/08/2011
ToyGurl ToyGurl
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockin'
I have a Diva Cup and have tried it several times. It works okay, but it was hard to remove, and the tip of it would poke me. It also leaked at night at least once, which was surprising. Maybe I sleep oddly.

I might try the cup again, but I ... More
And yes, DivaCups are just huge. In every way. almost too huge. The only women from my health center here in texas who like divacups are in their 30-40's and have had several children. Most women seem to like Lunette, LadyCup, MiaCup, etc. DivaCup is not a favorite of many.
06/08/2011
Rockin' Rockin'
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyGurl
And yes, DivaCups are just huge. In every way. almost too huge. The only women from my health center here in texas who like divacups are in their 30-40's and have had several children. Most women seem to like Lunette, LadyCup, MiaCup, etc. ... More
Awesome! I'll have to look into that, too. I like the idea of just wearing a cloth pad since it's not an internal thing, but I also like not having extra layers up against my ladybits. They need to breathe!

When I got my Divacup, the store only had DivaCups and Keepers (I think that was the name) and the Keepers were made of rubber and looked even bigger. I like that the DivaCup is silicone. I'll check out the smaller cups. Back then I thought they'd be too small but now I know better. Thanks for all the info!
06/08/2011
daniel and frances daniel and frances
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockin'
I'm thinking about getting some cloth pads to use during periods. I've always been a store-bought pad user (I use Stayfree and Kotex products) but I'm curious about cloth pads.

Anyone use cloth pads? Anyone used them and then went ... More
Wow. I didn't even know this was a possibility...
06/08/2011
Eucaly Eucaly
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockin'
Thanks for all the tips! I really don't care about the stains...I don't know if that seems gross or not. I know that blood just stains and that the cloth itself can still be clean, so that part doesn't bother me.

Where do you get ... More
I get mine all over the Internet but especially from HomesteadEmporium on Etsy which has some of the best designs.

I never use PUL because my lady bits need to breathe. I like the ones with water-resistant fleece backing, because it breathes but is almost impossible to leak through (if I put them in water, water will bead up on the surface of the fleece). If it's not a heavy day and/or you use pads plus a cup, you don't need any backing, not even fleece, as long as you've got 3 or so layers of cloth. It's pretty hard to bleed through that much.
06/08/2011
  • 1
  • 2
Total posts: 33
Unique posters: 17