Any insights on IUDs?

  • Get a Free Rabbit Vibe with Orders $59+

Any insights on IUDs?

KinkyKatieJames KinkyKatieJames
I'm considering getting an IUD since I have serious problems with traditional birth control. I was wondering if any of you had some insight into them. Any information, positive or negative, would be greatly appreciated!
04/05/2013
  • Buy 3 Items for $70
  • Buy 3 Items for $50
  • Buy 3 Items for $30
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Add Some Buzz To Your Favourite Toy & Save 60% On Kit
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
snowminx snowminx
If you go to planned parenthood they have quite a bit of information on them. I can't tell you anything from experience but I've heard of them "migrating" out of where they should be and causing problems, though rare it can lead to some pretty bad complications. Some say they have pain with insertion (mostly cramping) and some say it's not that bad. You can take mild medication before you go like ibuprofen. You are pretty young but if you have given birth before they say it's less painful and also easiler to stay in place.

Hopes this helps a bit =)
04/05/2013
KinkyKatieJames KinkyKatieJames
Quote:
Originally posted by snowminx
If you go to planned parenthood they have quite a bit of information on them. I can't tell you anything from experience but I've heard of them "migrating" out of where they should be and causing problems, though rare it can lead to ...
It does help. Thank you!
04/06/2013
marriedlady123 marriedlady123
I've thought about it, but the thing that scares me the most is that in the unlikely chance that I would get pregnant, the baby would most likely be very sick. I'm pretty close to baby time for myself-I just can't take that chance!
04/07/2013
bayosgirl bayosgirl
I almost got one after my miscarriage, but I decided that I wanted a baby after all and the risk of perforation leading to infertility were too great. I very likely will end up getting one after our baby is born. I hate using condoms and don't want to inundate my body with hormones.
04/09/2013
Antipova Antipova
I have one and I am so very happy with it. In response to marriedlady123, when you look at statistics from the CDC, there is actually even less chance of an unintended pregnancy with an IUD than there is if you get your tubes tied. (As of 2009 when I got mine, they showed the failure rates in 0.01% style instead of just "less than one in 100", so you could see more precisely. Here is what they publish today: link )

I have the Paragard, the non-hormonal one. The basic things to know:

1. It kind of hurt to be put in. I didn't need any painkillers, but I did squeeze the nurse's hand pretty hard.

2. My periods were more intense for the first three months---I usually have light periods with no cramps, and when my IUD was first put in, I had cramps. If yours are already bad, you might consider the Mirena (the IUD with hormones) instead.

3. I love that I still have the same libido, I'm still attracted to the same types of men, and that I don't have crazy mood swings. (Using the birth control pill, all of those things were a problem for me.

4. You have to be EVEN MORE careful about STDs, because the string (used to remove the IUD when you are done with it) can mean, if you get infected, the infection will travel faster.

5. Everyone seems afraid of perforation, but it is less common than the risk of death due to regular pregnancy. Here they had 16,990 doctors respond about deaths of patients and only 5 patients seen by all of those doctors were due to IUD complications (perforation OR infection). link

6. IT IS SO AWESOME TO JUST HAVE IT DONE ONCE, and then not have to worry that you're forgetting something every morning.

7. Did I mention the no mood swings?

8. I have had one fluid-bonded partner since getting mine, and he said he could feel the string sometimes during PIV sex, but it just felt like fishing line or something, and didn't hurt. Partners wearing condoms have never been able to feel it.

If you have any other questions, ask! I love my IUD and I think everybody would benefit if there was more information about them available to the public.
04/09/2013
chicmichiw chicmichiw
IUDs are a great no fuss no muss option if you're looking for a semi-longterm birth control that's totally reversible as soon as it gets taken out (either if you change your mind, or at the end of the device's life span). You even have the option of with or without or hormones. Insertion can be done by a nurse without anaesthetia, quick and easy. It's more painful if you've never had kids, but nothing a day off from work or a weekend wouldn't fix.
04/09/2013
KinkyKatieJames KinkyKatieJames
Quote:
Originally posted by bayosgirl
I almost got one after my miscarriage, but I decided that I wanted a baby after all and the risk of perforation leading to infertility were too great. I very likely will end up getting one after our baby is born. I hate using condoms and don't ...
I am exactly the same. I don't like using condoms with my boyfriend and I can't stand the pill. Soooo many side effects.
04/09/2013
KinkyKatieJames KinkyKatieJames
Quote:
Originally posted by Antipova
I have one and I am so very happy with it. In response to marriedlady123, when you look at statistics from the CDC, there is actually even less chance of an unintended pregnancy with an IUD than there is if you get your tubes tied. (As of 2009 when I ...
Thank you sooo much! You've definitely made my decision easier. I do have endometriosis, so my periods are extremely painful. That is actually why I was put on birth control pills at a young age (14). I will ask my doc about the Mirena, as you said.

My only question I am left with is: Is there any danger with having sex with larger partners? I cuckold my boyfriend and the one guy I am with most often is very well-endowed. He always hits my cervix and I was wondering if this would be any issue with an IUD.
04/09/2013
KinkyKatieJames KinkyKatieJames
Quote:
Originally posted by chicmichiw
IUDs are a great no fuss no muss option if you're looking for a semi-longterm birth control that's totally reversible as soon as it gets taken out (either if you change your mind, or at the end of the device's life span). You even have ...
No kids yet, but I've had a heart transplant. So if I can deal with that pain, I think I can handle an IUD.

Thanks for your input! <3
04/09/2013
KrissyNovacaine KrissyNovacaine
Quote:
Originally posted by KinkyKatieJames
I'm considering getting an IUD since I have serious problems with traditional birth control. I was wondering if any of you had some insight into them. Any information, positive or negative, would be greatly appreciated!
I got mine without the hormones because I am on so many meds for my fibro that it was causing awful interactions. I love having it now, but the first year my periods hurt and it felt like it would shift during very rough sex. Now, my periods are more regular and less painful. Go figure. Getting it sucked, but it was only for like 3 days. My doc explained it best. It felt like breaking in a new pair of shoes except on the inside.
04/09/2013
KrissyNovacaine KrissyNovacaine
Quote:
Originally posted by KinkyKatieJames
Thank you sooo much! You've definitely made my decision easier. I do have endometriosis, so my periods are extremely painful. That is actually why I was put on birth control pills at a young age (14). I will ask my doc about the Mirena, as you ...
I am poly with 2 partners. 1 is average and one is a bit larger. The larger one complains that the strings are rough, but we still have an active sex life. The smaller one had no problems. When my cervix is hit, there isn't any additional pain or pull. The strings do soften over time. The larger one still says the poke him, but he doesn't care anymore... He can't say if it's that they are softer or if he has become accustom to it.

We are into fisting and there is a slight concern of tug on the strings during that.
04/09/2013
KinkyKatieJames KinkyKatieJames
Quote:
Originally posted by KrissyNovacaine
I am poly with 2 partners. 1 is average and one is a bit larger. The larger one complains that the strings are rough, but we still have an active sex life. The smaller one had no problems. When my cervix is hit, there isn't any additional pain or ...
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. I am pretty sure an IUD is right for me.
04/10/2013
cgartman1989 cgartman1989
I have had the mirena put in after both of my children ad i absolutely love it. i have had no problems whatsover, no mood swings, no weight gain, and best of all NO PERIODS! I highly recommend
04/13/2013
KinkyKatieJames KinkyKatieJames
Quote:
Originally posted by cgartman1989
I have had the mirena put in after both of my children ad i absolutely love it. i have had no problems whatsover, no mood swings, no weight gain, and best of all NO PERIODS! I highly recommend
Thanks for the input! :-D

I'm going to the doc soon, so I will be discussing all of my options; Mirena is definitely one I am going to bring up.
04/14/2013
geliebt geliebt
I've had mirena for almost 2 years (whoa...) and it is EASILY the best decision I've ever made regarding my reproductive health. Of course, I would have preferred permanent sterilization, but as I am 21, that's (sadly) not much of an option right now :\

I know some women have had issues with mirena, but I love mine. I get really REALLY light, unobtrusive periods every few months or so, WAY more manageable than how they normally are without any birth control hormones, and it's so effective as birth control that I just don't worry at all, which is a massive relief.

It was tremendously painful getting it inserted, but the insertion was less than a minute of real pain, which I dealt with fine I think. It hurt (progressively less as the day went on) for the rest of the day, but that's 100% worth it for 5 years of super effective BC.
When I get my periods, and on the occasional random moment, it does hurt- this slightly sharp, annoying pain right in my uterus, but again, totally worth it.

I would absolutely recommend an IUD, particularly Mirena I hope you can get what you want!!
04/15/2013
P'Gell P'Gell
Quote:
Originally posted by KinkyKatieJames
Thank you sooo much! You've definitely made my decision easier. I do have endometriosis, so my periods are extremely painful. That is actually why I was put on birth control pills at a young age (14). I will ask my doc about the Mirena, as you ...
Highly unlikely that a good doctor would recommend an IUD for a woman with endometriosis. Endo is when endometrial tissue migrates outside of the uterus and then swells, bleeds and causes pain, bleeding, pain during intercourse, leg pain, etc.

As the IUD may actually make your endometirosis worse, the IUD is not a recommended form of birth control for you. Either a barrier method or, preferably a hormonal method that may shrink the endo implants (the tissue that migrated out of your uterus and set up shop on the outside of your uterus, on your colon, on the lining of the abdomen and other places) would be best.

I have endo and none of my doctors would ever have considered an IUD, even before I was clinically diagnosed with an endoscopic procedure.

WAIT A MINUTE; I just read the next post. You've had a heart transplant?

If you've had a heart transplant absolutely not! You will be on drugs that reduce your immune system's efficiency, so you don't reject the heart. Those drugs will make you VERY susceptible to a uterine infection. I can't BELIEVE any doctor would even consider giving you an IUD. It could be very very dangerous.
04/15/2013
SydneyScreams SydneyScreams
I have an IUD (Mirena), and although I love it now, when I got it in I was NOT happy.

My experience was fairly rare though--I had a seizure during the procedure (never had one before).

Pain wise, I felt like I was having crippling cramps for about 3 days afterwards, though the worst pain was day of procedure.

Every once in a while I get cramps, but my period lasts MAYBE a day, if that.
04/16/2013
Wicked Wahine Wicked Wahine
Quote:
Originally posted by P'Gell
Highly unlikely that a good doctor would recommend an IUD for a woman with endometriosis. Endo is when endometrial tissue migrates outside of the uterus and then swells, bleeds and causes pain, bleeding, pain during intercourse, leg pain, etc. ...
I agree with P'Gell, you are NOT a candidate got an IUD. P'Gell knows her stuff, please, if a Dr. even considers it for you, get another opinion, pronto!
04/16/2013
Hummingbird Hummingbird
Make sure you have a partner that doesn't like to play with it. Mine had to be removed in my younger days because it happened to me and I got a slight infection.
04/16/2013
Total posts: 20
Unique posters: 13