Naked Reader Book Club Discussion: AFTERNOON DELIGHT

Kristina Wright Kristina Wright
Hi there! Welcome to the Naked Reader Book Club Discussion! I'm your book club moderator, here to guide us on our journey through the literary world of sex.

It seems appropriate that our first book club discussion features Alison Tyler's AFTERNOON DELIGHT. In this 'round-the-clock collection of 24 sizzling tales, sex is on the agenda morning, noon and night-- much like Sexis Magazine!

While AFTERNOON DELIGHT features sexual escapades at all hours of the day and night, real life often gets in the way of indulging our carnal pleasures whenever the mood strikes. Do you have an "internal sex clock" that goes off at a particular time of day? Are you a fan of the lunch break nooner or do you prefer a midnight snack? Do you schedule sex or just let it happen whenever it happens?

When it comes to reading, AFTERNOON DELIGHT is subtitled "Erotica for Couples." Do you share your passion for erotica with anyone? Do you read stories out loud to your lover-- or just the juicy parts? Have you used erotic fiction as a springboard for discussion or exploration? Is there a particular time you set aside for indulging in erotic mind candy?

Whether you're an early bird or a night owl, let's talk about the pleasures of AFTERNOON DELIGHT!
05/25/2010
  • Weekly Special: Sexy Savings
  • Save 15% on Luxury Brands
  • Annual Clearance - Save 30%
  • Buy Cascade vibe and save 50% on lubricants!
  • Save 20% on self-lubricating Cascade vibe and sleeve kit
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Alan & Michele Alan & Michele
Hi Kristina!

We read Afternoon Delight as a couple, taking turns reading aloud to one another. We've often used erotic stories to trigger discussions or inspire plans for new scenarios, and this book was definitely geared for that.
05/25/2010
Kristina Wright Kristina Wright
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan & Michele
Hi Kristina!

We read Afternoon Delight as a couple, taking turns reading aloud to one another. We've often used erotic stories to trigger discussions or inspire plans for new scenarios, and this book was definitely geared for that.
Hi Alan & MIchele! Welcome to the book club discussion! Is there a particular story (or stories) in Afternoon Delight that you both enjoyed?
05/25/2010
Judy Cole Judy Cole
I have always enjoyed erotica pretty much on my own, when the mood strikes me. I feel so connected to some stories, in a way, and my favorite characters are so real to me, I almost feel like I'd be cheating on them by sharing "our experience"—even with my partner. Wonder what a shrink would have to say about that?
05/25/2010
Alan & Michele Alan & Michele
Kristina,
This is one of those books where it's almost impossible to choose just one or two. As a couple, we really enjoyed Country Pleasures, Matinee, and Black Light. They just had a little bit of extra naughty that got us grinning and discussing the possibilities for our own scenarios.
For me alone (Michele) I loved View of a Room, because the images it brought to mind were a real turn on. Alan favored Date at South Station, because he said it reminded him of something we did once, which got him hot.

In truth, there were only 2 stories that we *didn't* enjoy, so the book's a real winner for us.
05/25/2010
Sammi Sammi
Hi Kristina!

My internal sex clock is constantly going off . We've always preferred it in the evening, and relatively scheduled due to kids. We don't read the stories to each other, but I did get a few ideas out of this one for things that would be great to try.

My favorite in this collection by far was Date at South Station. That was one I'd like to recreate.
05/25/2010
Kristina Wright Kristina Wright
Quote:
Originally posted by Judy Cole
I have always enjoyed erotica pretty much on my own, when the mood strikes me. I feel so connected to some stories, in a way, and my favorite characters are so real to me, I almost feel like I'd be cheating on them by sharing "our ... More
A good writer can really bring the characters to life, can't they? I think feeling connected to a story is a hallmark of excellent storytelling!
05/25/2010
Kristina Wright Kristina Wright
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan & Michele
Kristina,
This is one of those books where it's almost impossible to choose just one or two. As a couple, we really enjoyed Country Pleasures, Matinee, and Black Light. They just had a little bit of extra naughty that got us grinning and ... More
Interesting that you have his, hers and ours stories from this collection! I just want to take a moment and share the names of the authors of those individual stories:

"Country Pleasures" is by the very talented and prolific Teresa Noelle Roberts
"Matinee" is by self-proclaimed bad girl Quinn Gabriel
"Black Light" is by the legendary N.T. Morley, author of over a dozen BDSM novels

"View of a Room" is by Jason McFadden
"Date at South Station" is by Xavier Acton

If you liked these particular authors, I encourage you to read more of their work!
05/25/2010
Kristina Wright Kristina Wright
Quote:
Originally posted by Sammi
Hi Kristina!

My internal sex clock is constantly going off . We've always preferred it in the evening, and relatively scheduled due to kids. We don't read the stories to each other, but I did get a few ideas out of this one for ... More
Hi Sammi!

So that ding-ding-ding I hear is *you*, huh?

It seems as if Xavier Acton's "Date at South Station" is quite popular! His work has also appeared in Alison Tyler's other collections: Sweet Life, Slave to Love and Open for Business!
05/25/2010
Alan & Michele Alan & Michele
Quote:
Originally posted by Kristina Wright
Interesting that you have his, hers and ours stories from this collection! I just want to take a moment and share the names of the authors of those individual stories:

"Country Pleasures" is by the very talented and prolific Teresa ... More
We've already had the good fortune of being able to read a few more from Xavier Acton (very much to our liking), and will be looking into the other authors as well.
05/25/2010
Kristina Wright Kristina Wright
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan & Michele
We've already had the good fortune of being able to read a few more from Xavier Acton (very much to our liking), and will be looking into the other authors as well.
Don't you love having favorite authors? For me, it's like running into an old friend when I open a book and see a familiar name!
05/25/2010
Sammi Sammi
Quote:
Originally posted by Kristina Wright
Hi Sammi!

So that ding-ding-ding I hear is *you*, huh?

It seems as if Xavier Acton's "Date at South Station" is quite popular! His work has also appeared in Alison Tyler's other collections: Sweet Life, Slave to Love and Open for Business!
It is

I'm going to look for more of his stories, as well as some of the other writers.

I do love having favorite authors. Whether it's short stories or novels, I do feel like it's running into an old friend. You have an idea of what to expect with the writing style, although the topic and situation can be entirely unexpected.
05/25/2010
Alan & Michele Alan & Michele
It's the same for me in regards to authors. Certain names you see and you know you can buy the book without knowing much about it, and still have a very good chance of enjoying it to the max.
05/25/2010
Kristina Wright Kristina Wright
Quote:
Originally posted by Sammi
It is

I'm going to look for more of his stories, as well as some of the other writers.

I do love having favorite authors. Whether it's short stories or novels, I do feel like it's running into an old friend. You have an ... More
Sammi, the beauty of the internet is that you can often become friends (if only Facebook friends!) with some of your favorite authors! Afternoon Delight includes several of my favorite authors whom I've gotten to know quite well over the years and who have become "automatic buys."
05/25/2010
Sammi Sammi
Quote:
Originally posted by Kristina Wright
Sammi, the beauty of the internet is that you can often become friends (if only Facebook friends!) with some of your favorite authors! Afternoon Delight includes several of my favorite authors whom I've gotten to know quite well over the years ... More
That's so true, and one of the things I love about the internet

Which of the stories in this collection were your favorites?
05/25/2010
LicentiouslyYours LicentiouslyYours
Quote:
Originally posted by Sammi
Hi Kristina!

My internal sex clock is constantly going off . We've always preferred it in the evening, and relatively scheduled due to kids. We don't read the stories to each other, but I did get a few ideas out of this one for ... More
I want to know more about this story you want to recreate. What was the scenario?
05/25/2010
Kayla Kayla
Both my partner and I are much more night-owls than anything, so that'd probably be our sexual schedule. However, I work 3rd shift half the week, so for the most part, we avoid sex during that part of the week.

I've read erotica out loud to my partner. I haven't actually read this book yet, but it seems pretty interesting. I usually love Alison Tyler's choices.
05/25/2010
LicentiouslyYours LicentiouslyYours
Quote:
Originally posted by Kristina Wright
Hi there! Welcome to the Naked Reader Book Club Discussion! I'm your book club moderator, here to guide us on our journey through the literary world of sex.

It seems appropriate that our first book club discussion features Alison ... More
My internal sex clock seems to go off most often late at night or even early in the morning, which is funny because I am absolutely not a morning person.

When I wake up in the mood for sex there is never anything like time to indulge the urge, which means I end up buzzing with sexual energy all day.

I am a single mom, so there is really no such thing as spontaneous sex in my life at the moment, but on the absolute rare occasion that sex happens for me spontaneously it's that much more exciting, no matter what time of day it happens to be!
05/25/2010
Kristina Wright Kristina Wright
Quote:
Originally posted by Sammi
That's so true, and one of the things I love about the internet

Which of the stories in this collection were your favorites?
Oh, putting me on the spot! I enjoyed them all I actually have a story in this collection, so that probably sounds a bit conceited. In any case, I particularly enjoyed Andrea Dale's "Breakfast in Bed" and A.D.R. Forte's "Straight-Laced." Both are on my must-buy list whenever I see their name in a collection!
05/25/2010
Kristina Wright Kristina Wright
Quote:
Originally posted by Kayla
Both my partner and I are much more night-owls than anything, so that'd probably be our sexual schedule. However, I work 3rd shift half the week, so for the most part, we avoid sex during that part of the week.

I've read erotica out ... More
Alison has a knack for putting together a collection that flows nicely from one story to the next! Third shift is the worst, I think, in terms of maintaining intimacy in a relationship. But you might find some inspiration in Afternoon Delight and the stories that cover the hours right after third shift! What better way to "wind down" from work, hmm?
05/25/2010
Sammi Sammi
Quote:
Originally posted by Kristina Wright
Oh, putting me on the spot! I enjoyed them all I actually have a story in this collection, so that probably sounds a bit conceited. In any case, I particularly enjoyed Andrea Dale's "Breakfast in Bed" and A.D.R. Forte's ... More
Breakfast In Bed was another one I really liked
05/25/2010
Sammi Sammi
Quote:
Originally posted by LicentiouslyYours
I want to know more about this story you want to recreate. What was the scenario?
The scenario in Date at South Station is a husband picking up his wife from a not-so-good part of town, out of the ordinary from where he usually picks her up. She's transformed herself into a street prostitute, and he's totally amazed. They finish playing out the scenario at a seedy hotel. Completely hot
05/25/2010
♥ Amanda ♥ ♥ Amanda ♥
I lover Erotic fiction. I think this one looks very appealing. I am looking forward to reading it.
05/25/2010
Kayla Kayla
Quote:
Originally posted by ♥ Amanda ♥
I lover Erotic fiction. I think this one looks very appealing. I am looking forward to reading it.
It does look like an amazingly good book.
05/25/2010
Alan & Michele Alan & Michele
If you get it, don't forget the "About the Authors" section in the back. It's pretty interesting, and it also tells you where to look for your favorite authors' works. It even gives the website addresses for some of the writers.
05/25/2010
Kristina Wright Kristina Wright
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan & Michele
If you get it, don't forget the "About the Authors" section in the back. It's pretty interesting, and it also tells you where to look for your favorite authors' works. It even gives the website addresses for some of the writers.
Good suggestion! I'm a big fan of reading both the editor's introduction and the author bios before I even read the stories.
05/25/2010
Kayla Kayla
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan & Michele
If you get it, don't forget the "About the Authors" section in the back. It's pretty interesting, and it also tells you where to look for your favorite authors' works. It even gives the website addresses for some of the writers.
I actually didn't know that about the book. Do most erotica collections have a section like that?
05/25/2010
Kristina Wright Kristina Wright
Quote:
Originally posted by Kayla
I actually didn't know that about the book. Do most erotica collections have a section like that?
Most do, yes. All of the Cleis Press anthologies definitely do! As a writer and a reading geek, I love author bios! (Plus, they usually include the authors' most recent publications, which is always helpful when I find a story that I adore!)
05/25/2010
Kayla Kayla
Quote:
Originally posted by Kristina Wright
Most do, yes. All of the Cleis Press anthologies definitely do! As a writer and a reading geek, I love author bios! (Plus, they usually include the authors' most recent publications, which is always helpful when I find a story that I adore!)
That's really neat. I'll have to check that out in the next erotica book I open. (I think I've only read Cleis Press erotica at this point.)
05/25/2010
MuffysPinguLove MuffysPinguLove
Quote:
Originally posted by Kristina Wright
Most do, yes. All of the Cleis Press anthologies definitely do! As a writer and a reading geek, I love author bios! (Plus, they usually include the authors' most recent publications, which is always helpful when I find a story that I adore!)
I also really like when collections include author bios. When I find stories I really like in a collection the author bios allow me to find out more about the author and their other published works.

I read "Peep Show" for this months Naked Reader Book Club, but after reading reviews for "Afternoon Delight" and hearing feedback in this thread I think I'm going to have to give "Afternoon Delight" a read too
05/25/2010
  • 1
  • 2
Total posts: 34
Unique posters: 10