Hand soap vs dish soap?

cmm cmm
Which one should I use when cleaning my toys? Most hand soaps that I see are anti-bacterial. The thought popped up today while I was at work washing my hands.
08/31/2013
  • Better Price Sale - Save 50%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 70%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 60%
  • Better Price - Save 40%
  • Try a luxury harness with a dildo and save 45% on a kit!
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
raudy raudy
Quote:
Originally posted by cmm
Which one should I use when cleaning my toys? Most hand soaps that I see are anti-bacterial. The thought popped up today while I was at work washing my hands.
hand soap
08/31/2013
Wicked Wahine Wicked Wahine
Quote:
Originally posted by cmm
Which one should I use when cleaning my toys? Most hand soaps that I see are anti-bacterial. The thought popped up today while I was at work washing my hands.
You can use either. The antibacterial effect will not work unless you allow the product to remain on the toy (or skin) surface for 2-3 minutes before rinsing. Otherwise you may as well be using plain soap and water. What might be a consideration is if you use a dish washing soap that is strong and you don't rinse well enough, then you might get residue on your genitals that could burn, or dry them out. However, dish washing soap is made to be used with your hands exposed to it, so there is nothing it will do to your toys that is harsher than what the hand soap would do.

I don't use antibacterial soap or any other products with the most common antimicrobial which is Triclosan. It is a hormone disruptor and I choose to avoid it. So, since I am also allergic to chlorine, bleach makes me ill - what do I do? I use Vital Oxide (it's different, more effective and has no smell, safe enough to wash your hands in it, plus no issues for me) in a spray bottle and mist everything down and let it dry. For someone who can use bleach, I recommend diluting it yourself in a spray bottle (1 part bleach to 9 parts water) and using that, or using the pre-diluted Clorox Anywhere Spray. Or use that 10% solution to soak your toys.


PS, don't use dishwasher detergent while washing toys in the dishwasher - it leaves white marks all over the silicone and can etch the glass- ever see cloudy glassware? that's etching -- basically it's caustic, eats through material & is not good for toys!)
08/31/2013
Sincerely Yours, N Sincerely Yours, N
Quote:
Originally posted by cmm
Which one should I use when cleaning my toys? Most hand soaps that I see are anti-bacterial. The thought popped up today while I was at work washing my hands.
I personally use a foaming hand soap which I rub all over the toy and then leave for several minutes before washing off. My skin dries too quickly from dish soap so I prefer to keep it away from things that I might put inside me or in my sensitive regions.
09/01/2013
cmm cmm
Quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Wahine
You can use either. The antibacterial effect will not work unless you allow the product to remain on the toy (or skin) surface for 2-3 minutes before rinsing. Otherwise you may as well be using plain soap and water. What might be a consideration is ... More
Most soaps I've found will leave at least some kind of residue. They have a tendency to make my lubes foam up.

Sound advice though as always, thank you
09/01/2013
wanderer5964 wanderer5964
i use baby soap.
09/01/2013
Wicked Wahine Wicked Wahine
Quote:
Originally posted by cmm
Most soaps I've found will leave at least some kind of residue. They have a tendency to make my lubes foam up.

Sound advice though as always, thank you
I have never before had my lubes foam up or heard of anyone else have that happen! Wow, if anyone else has had it happen, please mention it because now I am intrigued!

A dish soap should not leave residue if rinsed well, that's because it's formulated not to, or we would taste the soap when drinking from a glass. I wonder, do you have soft water?

Anyway, if the soap is a problem, I recommend using the free Eden wipes, or a toy cleaner. Then see if you have a problem with those leaving residue.

I have an idea about removing soap residue, first of all finish with a cold rinse because it helps get rid of soap, then you could use a vinegar or lemon water rinse, as the acid helps get rid of the soap, too. I know these from washing hair, so I don't see how it's any different. Oh well, it's worth a shot. Obviously, trying a milder soap is something I figured you'd think of yourself. You know the bath shower gels they make? They are formulated to clean and not leave soap scum, so maybe that would work, too.
09/02/2013
Rossie Rossie
Quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Wahine
I have never before had my lubes foam up or heard of anyone else have that happen! Wow, if anyone else has had it happen, please mention it because now I am intrigued!

A dish soap should not leave residue if rinsed well, that's because ... More
Me neither. If you rinse your toys very thoroughly under running water, it's impossible to have residue left on your toys.
09/02/2013
Bignuf Bignuf
Quote:
Originally posted by cmm
Which one should I use when cleaning my toys? Most hand soaps that I see are anti-bacterial. The thought popped up today while I was at work washing my hands.
After actually doing a "culture" study, I believe using a dedicated toy cleaner is worth the money and effort. Bigger yet, we have found both toy and hand cleaning soaps have damaged the surface on some of our toys in the past.
09/02/2013
Bignuf Bignuf
Quote:
Originally posted by Rossie
Me neither. If you rinse your toys very thoroughly under running water, it's impossible to have residue left on your toys.
I rinse mine...a lot, even after using "no rinse needed" toy cleaner.
09/02/2013
Wicked Wahine Wicked Wahine
Quote:
Originally posted by Bignuf
After actually doing a "culture" study, I believe using a dedicated toy cleaner is worth the money and effort. Bigger yet, we have found both toy and hand cleaning soaps have damaged the surface on some of our toys in the past.
What do you mean by culture study? Do you mean you swabbed them and cultured petri dishes to see what grew? I really would love to know your results, informal as they may be because I am curious which cleaning methods and products you used and what the results were per material!

Also, what materials were the toys made of that were damaged and what damage was it? What cleansers do you think caused said damage? I think people would like to know (okay, I would like to know ) what to beware!
09/02/2013
Wicked Wahine Wicked Wahine
Quote:
Originally posted by Bignuf
I rinse mine...a lot, even after using "no rinse needed" toy cleaner.
Absolutely -- rinse, rinse, rinse! I would not put any of the no-rinse products on me/inside me intentionally, say as a wash, so I certainly am not leaving it on the surface of the toy, only to introduce it later, ugh!
09/02/2013
Sincerely Yours, N Sincerely Yours, N
Quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Wahine
What do you mean by culture study? Do you mean you swabbed them and cultured petri dishes to see what grew? I really would love to know your results, informal as they may be because I am curious which cleaning methods and products you used and what ... More
I would want to know all of this as well. I'm curious as to how "antimicrobial" antimicrobial materials and cleaners are.

To be honest, I was tempted to ask my sister for petri dishes and that gel thing which has a name that I forgot to do some soap effectiveness tests, but didn't get around to it before she changed jobs and no longer had an unlimited supply. I regret it now. : (


And I agree entirely about rinsing! Rinsing is crucial, and I feel like it's the most important part of cleaning.
09/02/2013
Wicked Wahine Wicked Wahine
Quote:
Originally posted by Sincerely Yours, N
I would want to know all of this as well. I'm curious as to how "antimicrobial" antimicrobial materials and cleaners are.

To be honest, I was tempted to ask my sister for petri dishes and that gel thing which has a name that I ... More
@ SincerelyN: You mean agar (with nutrients added, oh like some chicken stock... ) ? (for in the petri dishes?) I bet the name slipped your mind, however I bet the smell never does! Check out my link for the Vital Oxide above. I also have a handheld (and a floor model) steamer that sanitizes everything! And believe it or not, I have a UV-wand that I use for my allergies on bedding, etc. I wave that over stuff if I'm worried, but don't want to accelerate the breakdown of materials - but, between the Vital Oxide and the steam, I am not really concerned.

Did you know you can buy your own supplies to concoct an antibacterial toy treatment solution? Without getting myself in trouble...check the active ingredients, ( or my review of a certain toy cleaner). You will see a quick search of the Net turn up lots of cheap ways to buy your own active ingredient. If you have the science background I suspect, it should be no problem to look up and understand the research on efficacy, so no need to do your own tests, unless you wanted to see how you are doing adhering to your cleaning protocol.
09/02/2013
wetone123 wetone123
Quote:
Originally posted by Bignuf
After actually doing a "culture" study, I believe using a dedicated toy cleaner is worth the money and effort. Bigger yet, we have found both toy and hand cleaning soaps have damaged the surface on some of our toys in the past.
Absolutely! Tell us more about your culture study! I'm very interested in your results. I have never used a toy cleaner product...only soaps and on glass, alcohol. Also, I agree to rinse EVERYTHING thoroughly! Thanks for all the info you can provide!
09/02/2013
wetone123 wetone123
Quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Wahine
@ SincerelyN: You mean agar (with nutrients added, oh like some chicken stock... ) ? (for in the petri dishes?) I bet the name slipped your mind, however I bet the smell never does! Check out my link for the Vital Oxide above. I also have a handheld ... More
Those are some really useful cleaners! I think I should look into getting these. Does the steamer affect the cheaper jelly materials? I have several rabbits that are jelly...(I know they are yucky in materials but oh so good feeling) that could use a good steaming if it would not melt them? Thank you in advance for your wise council!
09/02/2013
lana'sart lana'sart
Quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Wahine
You can use either. The antibacterial effect will not work unless you allow the product to remain on the toy (or skin) surface for 2-3 minutes before rinsing. Otherwise you may as well be using plain soap and water. What might be a consideration is ... More
I have to agree with you
09/02/2013
lana'sart lana'sart
Quote:
Originally posted by wetone123
Those are some really useful cleaners! I think I should look into getting these. Does the steamer affect the cheaper jelly materials? I have several rabbits that are jelly...(I know they are yucky in materials but oh so good feeling) that could use a ... More
I am sure that steam would not be good for jelly materials
09/02/2013
lana'sart lana'sart
Quote:
Originally posted by wetone123
Absolutely! Tell us more about your culture study! I'm very interested in your results. I have never used a toy cleaner product...only soaps and on glass, alcohol. Also, I agree to rinse EVERYTHING thoroughly! Thanks for all the info you can provide!
rinse your toys even before use as there maybe dust on them
09/02/2013
lana'sart lana'sart
Quote:
Originally posted by Bignuf
I rinse mine...a lot, even after using "no rinse needed" toy cleaner.
that is so smart
09/02/2013
Wicked Wahine Wicked Wahine
Quote:
Originally posted by wetone123
Those are some really useful cleaners! I think I should look into getting these. Does the steamer affect the cheaper jelly materials? I have several rabbits that are jelly...(I know they are yucky in materials but oh so good feeling) that could use a ... More
I would be afraid the steam would melt the jelly. The good steamers have their stream coming out at a high enough temperature to be used to sanitize in hospitals, so unless a material can withstand those temps, I wouldn't risk it. They do sell pocket sized UV-Wands at the drug store. I have the big one that's the size of my forearm, but also have the cellphone sized one which is marketed for use on the go - to use on grocery carts, public restrooms, etc. My point is, you could find a less expensive model, but here again, I would beware the reaction of the jelly, though I doubt an occasional blast would hurt it too much. I would worry the UV might harden the material, or cause the color to fade if used frequently, though that's only my guess of a possible reaction. At least you'd feel like you were getting it cleaner than before.

However, I would definitely use an antibacterial toy cleaner on the jelly! I would hope the antibacterial effect would penetrate into the jelly some. I reviewed a good one by Pjur, but it's expensive. You can also try the Evolved ones because they don't have Triclosan in them anymore. The product pages don't have the correct current ingredients for them, but the recent reviews do!

If I owned jelly, I would use the UV-Wand on them after cleaning with an antibacterial toy cleaner and I'd also use Vital Oxide (or a bleach solution) once in a while, too!
09/03/2013
Total posts: 21
Unique posters: 9