Buying items from the EF Classifieds - Ick Factor

AmethystSmoke AmethystSmoke
There are many who will not buy used toys - even those that can be sterilized - yet are willing to buy used items like books, CDs, DVDs, shoes, clothing, etc. that cannot be sterilized. And, I'm willing to bet that many of these buyers don't wipe everything down with a 10% bleach solution (or something similar) before using them.

Take books, for example. We all know how dirty books are, so many hands touching them and not all of them clean. Books come in contact with your body, clothing, bedding, furniture, children, spouse, etc....

So why is using a sterilized sex toy out of the question?

Am I being illogical by trying to apply logic here?
09/18/2012
  • Buy 1 Vibrator Get 1 FREE
  • Limited offer: Save 25% on Blush Toys
  • Annual Clearance - Save 40%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 50%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 60%
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
ksparkles16 ksparkles16
Yes, I totally understand what you are saying. For me, it's not really the germs it's just the idea and knowledge that someone else put that dildo internally. Creeps me out not knowing where it's been. I'm just going to stick with brand new toys, lol. Maybe one day I'll get over it.
09/18/2012
Beck Beck
I am with you on this. I don't get it. If you go to the Dr and they use the metal equipment on you, it's been sterilized. Scalpels, speculum's, etc are all sterilized and used on many people. So, it's no different to use a used sex toy.
09/18/2012
Petite Valentine Petite Valentine
Quote:
Originally posted by AmethystSmoke
There are many who will not buy used toys - even those that can be sterilized - yet are willing to buy used items like books, CDs, DVDs, shoes, clothing, etc. that cannot be sterilized. And, I'm willing to bet that many of these buyers ... More
I see your point, but then, a book, CD, DVD, etc isn't going into my vagina or any other orifice.
09/18/2012
travelnurse travelnurse
Yes, I work in a very buzy ER and really, I don't even want to lie on those stretchers. I know how they are cleaned and those Dr.'s offices ouch!! Just remember our bodies aren't sterile and if you can sterilize a toy, hey that is better than most crud we come into contact with!!
09/18/2012
Petite Valentine Petite Valentine
Quote:
Originally posted by Beck
I am with you on this. I don't get it. If you go to the Dr and they use the metal equipment on you, it's been sterilized. Scalpels, speculum's, etc are all sterilized and used on many people. So, it's no different to use a used sex toy.
My trust may be misplaced, but doctors' offices and hospitals have specialized equipment for sterilizing metal (which is medical-grade) and for some things they use plastic instruments which are destroyed after use. (My GYN uses plastic speculums.)
09/18/2012
VioletMoonstone VioletMoonstone
I don't like the thought of thinking that this used toy (even though it's been sanitized and cleaned) has been in someone elses vagina, butt, or mouth. It grosses me out and I don't care how sanitized and clean it is. I only buy brand new toys. I'd rather hold a used book or something in my hand then to insert a toy that's been inside someone elses body. Yuck.
09/18/2012
Ansley Ansley
Quote:
Originally posted by Petite Valentine
My trust may be misplaced, but doctors' offices and hospitals have specialized equipment for sterilizing metal (which is medical-grade) and for some things they use plastic instruments which are destroyed after use. (My GYN uses plastic speculums.)
As does my gyno. I haven't seen a metal speculum in many, many years.

Here's the thing - I have *one* toy that a friend of mine had. She reviewed it, didn't like it and passed it off to me.

Why was I okay with that? Because I know her history, I know she loves me and I know she wouldn't put me in harm's way.

Not saying anyone on here would, but it's just not something a lot of people are comfortable with doing. That's okay.

Selling used toys was not the original idea for the classifieds. The original idea was to provide a Craigslist-esque avenue for you to trade within the community with people you trust.
09/18/2012
El-Jaro El-Jaro
Quote:
Originally posted by Petite Valentine
I see your point, but then, a book, CD, DVD, etc isn't going into my vagina or any other orifice.
That's what I was thinking too.

"I don't know if I want to buy this dvd...has it been up your butt?"

There's a line between being cautious and being too cautious. My ex was a germaphobe and would freak out whenever I touched ANYTHING outside of the home.
09/18/2012
Alan & Michele Alan & Michele
Quote:
Originally posted by El-Jaro
That's what I was thinking too.

"I don't know if I want to buy this dvd...has it been up your butt?"

There's a line between being cautious and being too cautious. My ex was a germaphobe and would freak out ... More
Thanx alot JR, now I'm wiping the tea off of my keyboard that YOU made me snort out with that comment! LOL!

To answer the question, I think using a sterilized sex toy would be more favorable than taking on a used book. Either way I'm more comfortable if I know who it's coming from.

~M
09/18/2012
*Camoprincess* *Camoprincess*
I would probably use a toy that can be sterilized but I prefer my items to be new not because of the ick factor but because I like the 60 day window in case something were to go wrong with it. I mean using a "used" sex toy is really no different then sleeping with a man or woman who has been with someone else if you think about it just that these can be sterilized!
09/18/2012
deltalima deltalima
Quote:
Originally posted by AmethystSmoke
There are many who will not buy used toys - even those that can be sterilized - yet are willing to buy used items like books, CDs, DVDs, shoes, clothing, etc. that cannot be sterilized. And, I'm willing to bet that many of these buyers ... More
That's a good point.
09/18/2012
ToyGeek ToyGeek
Quote:
Originally posted by *Camoprincess*
I would probably use a toy that can be sterilized but I prefer my items to be new not because of the ick factor but because I like the 60 day window in case something were to go wrong with it. I mean using a "used" sex toy is really no ... More
Good point.

Yet I still can't get over the ick factor.
09/18/2012
KrissyNovacaine KrissyNovacaine
I don't mind trading toys at all
09/19/2012
GONE! GONE!
I'm less grossed out by properly disinfected, used toys than most stuff I come into contact with on a daily basis.
09/19/2012
- Kira - - Kira -
I don't buy used ANYTHING. I don't care if I can get my clothes for $1 each, I'm icked out by used stuff. I'm a total germ-a-phobe though. I won't drink after anyone or eat food off someone's plate. If I think there's even a chance it has germs, I won't touch it.

As for hospitals and doctors, my OB/GYN uses plastic disposable tools. Hospitals ick me out seriously, but when you're sick what else are you gonna do? I usually pretty much bathe in Lysol after leaving them. I also sit in the ER paranoid about what germs everyone there may have that I'm breathing in. UCK.

So, yeah, no used sex toys for me. I don't even share toys with my husband. There's a few things we have two of because he saw mine and liked it. If it's been in his butt, it's not going in my vagina. Bleached, boiled, or otherwise.
09/19/2012
satinlady550 satinlady550
Quote:
Originally posted by AmethystSmoke
There are many who will not buy used toys - even those that can be sterilized - yet are willing to buy used items like books, CDs, DVDs, shoes, clothing, etc. that cannot be sterilized. And, I'm willing to bet that many of these buyers ... More
I haven't been on EF too long therefore I haven't even looked at the classified nor do I have an interest. That is extremely gross to sell used items online. Ick is right!!!
09/19/2012
LostinLife LostinLife
Quote:
Originally posted by ksparkles16
Yes, I totally understand what you are saying. For me, it's not really the germs it's just the idea and knowledge that someone else put that dildo internally. Creeps me out not knowing where it's been. I'm just going to stick with ... More
That is how I feel
09/19/2012
luvslukin luvslukin
As long as it can be sterilized, I think used toys are actually kind of hot.
09/19/2012
jr2012 jr2012
I am a clean freak....secondhand anything really kind of icks me. I always clean everything that's not brand new to my own personal specifications after I buy it. Okay....sometimes brand new stuff gets the antibacterial treatment too!
09/20/2012
JennSenn JennSenn
Yeah, it's just the idea that it's been in someone that icks me out.
09/20/2012
Total posts: 21
Unique posters: 20