What are your thoughts on having to use condoms with certain toy materials (jelly, rubber, TPRs)?

PussyGalore PussyGalore
I am wondering if I am the only one who hates the thought of having to purchase condoms or toy covers for use with items that are not 100% silicone. I am prone to infections easily and the thought of purchasing condoms every time we want to play with a toy in addition to my birth control prescription irritates me just a bit. So...how about you?
Answers (private voting - your screen name will NOT appear in the results):
I only purchase toys that can be used safely without condoms.
80
I am okay with having to use a condom if I really really like the toy.
46
I don't mind having to use condoms at all when playing with a toy.
12
A greater number of toys (read: all) should made of silicone.
32
I am indifferent.
3
I do not use insertable toys.
The obligatory "Other" category.
19
Total votes: 192 (155 voters)
Poll is closed
12/12/2010
  • Get 3 amazing toys for $60 only
  • Black Friday Cyber Monday 70% Clearance
  • Black Friday Cyber Monday 50% Clearance
  • Black Friday Cyber Monday 40% Clearance
  • Black Friday Cyber Monday 25% Clearance
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
rdytogo rdytogo
We use silicone almost exclusively
12/12/2010
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
I only have one toy that I use a condom on. That one is the wife's and is made from TPR but I do not use it that often. Most of what I buy can be sanitized to that helps a bunch.
12/12/2010
~LaUr3n~ ~LaUr3n~
I voted that I'm okay with it if I really like the toy.
12/12/2010
Porfiriato Porfiriato
Silicone is the way to go, but i have made a *very* few exceptions for unique or interesting toys not available in silicone
12/12/2010
Gunsmoke Gunsmoke
I agree silicone is the way to go - but I still have some TPR and jelly toys that we like. My wife tolerates them quite well. We had one that started to cause a burning sensation and used a condom on it for a while. Eventually I just threw it away - and interestingly bought another jelly dildo to replace it - and so far so good. If we experience any trouble, it was cheap enough to throw out and replace.
12/12/2010
C4ss C4ss
If I really do like the toy, I'm okay with it.
12/13/2010
ScottA ScottA
I use mostly condom-less toys that can be cleaned/sanitized and have no chemical risk. I have a few that aren't, but for the most part everything is (especially insertables).

By the time you tally up the costs of condoms over a few years and then replacing the toy when it finally gives out silicone/glass/metal/w hatever starts to look like a better deal.
12/13/2010
Airekah Airekah
I am always willing to use a condom if the toy is worth it. I need to get some more, now that I think of it.
12/13/2010
toxie m toxie m
I'm okay with using a condom if I love the toy, but it makes use of that toy much more rare. Spending money on condoms for toys just feels wrong.
12/13/2010
Misfit Momma Misfit Momma
I would prefer to only use silicone or other materials that do not need a condom, but I've been wanting to try out a Cyberskin Dildo for a while and have my first on it's way to me now. If I love it, I will continue to use it with a condom, but if it isn't better than the toys I currently have... then it will probably be retired after I review it.
12/13/2010
hive83 hive83
Quote:
Originally posted by PussyGalore
I am wondering if I am the only one who hates the thought of having to purchase condoms or toy covers for use with items that are not 100% silicone. I am prone to infections easily and the thought of purchasing condoms every time we want to play with ... More
Always for anal not much else.
12/13/2010
PussyGalore PussyGalore
Quote:
Originally posted by Misfit Momma
I would prefer to only use silicone or other materials that do not need a condom, but I've been wanting to try out a Cyberskin Dildo for a while and have my first on it's way to me now. If I love it, I will continue to use it with a condom, ... More
Doesn't a condom kind of defeat the use of the texture? I just don't get it...I think we would all be willing to save our pennies for toys that are 100% safe instead of polluting the environment with used condoms.
12/14/2010
Shellz31 Shellz31
Most of my dildos are cyberskin, UR3 or TPR and I never use condoms on mine. Plus I have NEVER had an injection or anything. They aren't as bad as people make out.
I'm not going to waste money on condoms when that can go into getting more toys!
12/16/2010
PussyGalore PussyGalore
Quote:
Originally posted by Shellz31
Most of my dildos are cyberskin, UR3 or TPR and I never use condoms on mine. Plus I have NEVER had an injection or anything. They aren't as bad as people make out.
I'm not going to waste money on condoms when that can go into getting more toys!
I think that's a little unfair to say that just because you haven't had an infection doesn't mean that others won't.

My husband looks at my pussy the wrong way and I'm calling the doc for a metronidazole script. :p 100% silicone only, please!
12/16/2010
Shumway Shumway
I don't really have to worry about sharing toys with the wife, although butt plugs get wrapped for use by one if we both use it.
12/16/2010
Kiwi Kiwi
i think condoms on a toy is a waste of money...bad for the environment too.
12/16/2010
Jobthingy Jobthingy
I prefer not to so I try and get stuff that does not need wrapping. But it is ok if it is a good toy
12/16/2010
Shellz31 Shellz31
Quote:
Originally posted by PussyGalore
I think that's a little unfair to say that just because you haven't had an infection doesn't mean that others won't.

My husband looks at my pussy the wrong way and I'm calling the doc for a metronidazole script. :p 100% silicone only, please!
Thats fair enough (and understandable) for people who know they are more susceptible to infections but it's also unfair then for these toys to be put in the 'risky' basket because that scares a lot of people off by them. Which is a real pitty cause they are fabulous feeling.
I only buy them cause they feel real so I personally don't want to cover them up.

I was only stating my opinion ... which is, they aren't as bad as most make out ... by saying this, I don't think a lot of the people who boo these toys have even tried them (they just go by what Eden rates them - which is very handy!). Again - understandable for those who are susceptible to infections.
12/16/2010
Gunsmoke Gunsmoke
Quote:
Originally posted by Shellz31
Thats fair enough (and understandable) for people who know they are more susceptible to infections but it's also unfair then for these toys to be put in the 'risky' basket because that scares a lot of people off by them. Which is a real ... More
Shellz31 - I agree. The odor of jelly can be a distraction but for price-to-performance you can't beat the stuff. We're equal opportunity - glass, steel, aluminum, silicone, vixskin, jelly, plastic - got'm all!

I have nothing against people who choose to play it safe - that's just not me - never had a flue shot - I'm just not a germ-o-phobe or material-snob.
12/17/2010
Shellz31 Shellz31
Quote:
Originally posted by Gunsmoke
Shellz31 - I agree. The odor of jelly can be a distraction but for price-to-performance you can't beat the stuff. We're equal opportunity - glass, steel, aluminum, silicone, vixskin, jelly, plastic - got'm all!

I have nothing ... More
I personally don't go for jelly (or rubber) but only for the fact that I have had some in the past that really stunk and it triggers a migraine for me unfortunately.
There are some great looking jelly ones around though that I have eyed up...hehe.

I have started getting into silicone and bought my first VixSkin (which is awesome) in my last order because I don't want all my dildos to have to be powdered. I don't mind having some, but also want some dildos that are more simple to look after.

I've never had a flu shot either. I hear too many times that people end up with the flu after having the shot. I prefer to take my chances.
I do have a big issue with germs...lol. But more so other peoples - which is why my own porous toys don't bother me.
12/17/2010
Coralbell Coralbell
I don't have any toys that need condoms and don't plan on getting any. If I used condoms for sex and had them around anyways it might not be as big of a deal, but I'd hate to have to buy condoms just for toys.
12/17/2010
Selective Sensualist Selective Sensualist
The idea of needing to purchase a condom to safely use a SEX toy (which should be designed to safely insert into the body) really irks me. Condoms aren't cheap. By the time you've spent the money on enough condoms to use the toy multiple times, you could've bought a toy with higher quality, safer materials.
12/17/2010
namelesschaos namelesschaos
I wouldn't mind if I liked the toy...I'm just doubtful if I'd ever find such a toy. The closest is my collection fleshlight.

I ordered a rubber toy for review because their really isn't any like it in safer materials; I'm not done testing it but so far it is not working out. Point being I'm open to the idea of using toys with a condom, it is just not likely.

P.S. the cost of condom right now isn't a problem for me; I pick them up for free at my campus Health center.
12/17/2010
sbon sbon
I don't have any toys that would require a condom, but then again I'm not particularly sensitive to any materials.
12/20/2010
Crystal1 Crystal1
It would have to be something REALLY special for me to put up with the cost and trouble of using condoms with a toy.
12/27/2010
Airen Wolf Airen Wolf
Quote:
Originally posted by PussyGalore
I am wondering if I am the only one who hates the thought of having to purchase condoms or toy covers for use with items that are not 100% silicone. I am prone to infections easily and the thought of purchasing condoms every time we want to play with ... More
I buy toys that can be safely used without a condom as I can sometimes have problems with condom irritation.
12/27/2010
Lucidity Lucidity
I'm the only one who uses my toys, so I don't worry about this so much.
12/27/2010
Carrie Ann Carrie Ann
Generally, I purchase only non porous toys.

However, I'm lucky in that I'm not prone to infections at all so if I do buy a cheaper, porous toy, I don't have to use a condom with it. I also don't expect them to last long. A few months and I toss it away to avoid the germs and ickies that might be hanging around.
12/27/2010
ScottA ScottA
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Ann
Generally, I purchase only non porous toys.

However, I'm lucky in that I'm not prone to infections at all so if I do buy a cheaper, porous toy, I don't have to use a condom with it. I also don't expect them to last long. A ... More
It doesn't take many replacement cycles for those 3-month toys to add up to a good lifetime toy. I generally go for the lifetime products (silicone, glass, metal, ceramic).
12/31/2010
Total posts: 83
Unique posters: 74