FOU FighterThe Fun Factory FOU (pronounced “foo”) is a multi-purpose vibrator made of high-quality materials. Its innovative design encourages you to use your imagination while you pleasure yourself or your partner. It’s a very unobtrusive toy and would work well for anyone who needs to be discreet with their toys, or is looking to introduce toys into couple’s play. Quiet and body safe, Fou promises a lot, and delivers on much of it.
It can be used in a variety of ways, depending on personal preference and what kind of stimulation you like the best. Please see the Experience section for my personal experiments and use of the toy! Once you figure out the best way to use Fou for your body, it’s an easy to use toy.
Since a fair amount of Fou’s power is absorbed by its plush silicone, this toy is best used by those who don’t need massive amounts of power. This toy could be well used by couples of any gender, and could be a fun introduction for couples who are looking to begin using toys together in the bedroom, but want something unobtrusive.
The texture of the toy is completely smooth, and Fun Factory’s silicone is a velvety soft silicone that has a bit of drag and is pretty plush. It has a bit of a seam running around it where the plastic base meets the silicone body, but it does not cause any problems during use.
The silicone part measures 2.25” tall with a divot at the top that measures 0.75”tall and 0.5” wide. The plastic handle measures 0.25” tall. Fou is a small toy that is easy to store almost anywhere. It is easy to travel with as well, although there is no locking feature for the controls.
While the size, shape and design of this toy make it gorgeous to look at and VERY easy to hold, they also make it difficult to deal with outside the bedroom. When charging or washing it can be very difficult to get the Fou to stay in one place, it really wants to roll off any smooth surface you put it on. I found it annoying that once I washed my Fou, it kept rolling back into the sink with the dirty toys.
To turn on your Fou, simply push the + button for just under 90 seconds. To turn it off, just hold down the – button regardless of what intensity level or pattern level you are on. It automatically resets itself to the beginning after turning off.
*Comparing FOU to MiMi
Fou has a very strong motor for a toy of its size, and is quite comparable to the Je Joue MiMi in power and rumbliness. Fou has more in-between power settings than the MiMi, making the increase in intensity for each setting more subtle. In rating Fou’s bees and vrooms, I will use the MiMi as a comparison. The intensity levels are only available in steady vibration mode, the intensity of the various pre-programmed patterns cannot be adjusted. I counted 7 different levels of steady vibration, they are as follows:
1) Low – 1 vroom, 2 bees – comparable to MiMi on level 1
2) Medium Low – 2 vrooms, 2 bees – comparable to MiMi on level 2
3) High Low – 2.5 vrooms, 2.5 bees – comparable to MiMi between levels 2 and 3
4) Low Medium – 3 vrooms, 2.5 bees – comparable to MiMi on level 3
5) Medium – 3.5 vrooms, 3 bees – comparable to MiMi between levels 3 and 4
6) High Medium – 4 vrooms, 3 bees – comparable to MiMi on level 4
7) High – 4 vrooms, 3 bees – comparable to MiMi between levels 4 and 5
The vibrations feel very strong in my hand, but do not translate well in use. The plush, squishy silicone Fun Factory uses seems to diffuse the vibrations greatly. While it rates very similarly to MiMi in vrooms, the MiMi still feels more powerful during use. This is due to the hard body the MiMi has, and the fact that its silicone is a thin coating on the outside. Since Fou is mostly solid silicone, much of its vibrations are absorbed by the plush body of the toy.
In my hand, the vibrations feel strongest around the middle of the toy. In use, the vibrations can be felt throughout the toy, especially at the tips of the two lips.
Fou boasts a number of pre-programmed patterns. They can be accessed by pushing the flower button. The intensity of the patterns cannot be changed, and they can be accessed any time the toy is on, regardless of the power level the toy is at. They are as follows:
1) Fast, brief pulses – about 4 or 5 pulses per second
2) Escalating and then diminishing power (think of going up and then back down a hill) – 1 rising and falling cycle per second, with a brief pause before cycling again
3) Slower escalating and diminishing power (same as 2 but slower) – 1 cycle of rising and falling takes about 2 seconds, with a brief pause before cycling again
4) Even slower cycles of escalating and diminishing power – 1 complete cycle of rising and falling takes about 5 seconds with no pause before cycling again
To go back to steady vibration mode from the pattern mode, simply push the + or – button one time.
Fou is definitely a lint and stray hair magnet, so you’ll probably want to rinse it off before each use, even if you store it in the satin toy pouch it comes in. It’s easy to keep clean though, and can be washed with warm water and your favorite soap, wiped with a toy wipe, sprayed down with your favorite toy cleaner, or even dunked in a 10% bleach solution to sanitize it.
Fou is a rechargeable toy, so you do not need to worry about removing the batteries to store it. You should, however, try to always store it with a full charge. While the instructions don’t say much about charging it, they do encourage you to charge it well if you are going to be putting into storage for a while. The instruction booklet also says that you can’t overcharge the Fou, because it has a built-in protection against that.
*How do you charge this thing? How do you know when it’s done charging?
Those are great questions, and I couldn’t find definitive answers ANYWHERE. But, through practice, and a fair bit of trial and error, I can answer them now.
Fou comes with the standard “click ‘n’ charge” charger that all Fun Factory click ‘n’ charge toys come with. It is magnetic, and attaches to the silver “Fun Factory” logo on the bottom of the toy. A word of caution though, this magnetic charger is EXTREMELY finicky. I have found the best place for me to charge this is lying flat on the floor, plugged into an outlet close to the floor.
There is a small, red LED light on the plug-in base of the cord that will light up when the cord is properly plugged into your outlet. When the charger is properly connected to your Fou, the Fun Factory logo on the charger port will glow steady red. Your Fou will also glow and pulsate as it charges. You will know your Fou is done charging when only the Fou is glowing, and the Fun Factory logo on the charging port no longer glows red.
Fou can take several hours to charge, the first charge especially takes a long time. The packaging says up to 8 hours, but mine did not have a good, solid connection for that first charge so it took much longer than that. Now that I know how best to charge my Fou, the longest it ever needs to charge is overnight. Often, if I know I’ll be using it that night, a couple of hours of charging in the afternoon will have it ready to go later that evening.
On a full charge, my Fou ran for 2.5 hours. As the battery wears down there is virtually no loss of power, the motor is able to stay nice and strong right up until the battery dies. With extended use, the Fou does warm up just a bit but not enough to be dangerous or uncomfortable.
To fully recharge it, after completely draining the battery, took just under 6 hours.
I have only 3 complaints about FOU:
1) The thick, plushy silicone of the body absorbs the vibrations too much
2) The charging port is too finicky
3) It rolls off of EVERYTHING (the sink, the bedside table, etc.)
*So... How the heck do you use this thing?
This was my second major question after figuring out how to charge the Fou. I just started experimenting with it, and then read reviews from other users, and watched the Sneak Peek video for more ideas. I will describe a few of the MANY ways Fou can be used, you can use my ideas, and can come up with your own ideas too.
• For tired or sore back muscles (or any other muscle), rest the Fou in the palm of your hand, and roll it around the area that aches.
• Lay the Fou on its side and push it firmly against the area you want to stimulate. This works well for nipples and to stimulate the entire vulva.
• Run the flat side of the Fou across nipples, testicles, penis shafts and vulvas.
• Place any sensitive area (like a nipple or a clit) between the “pincers” of the Fou and squeeze a little… or a lot!
• For a little more pressure, press the firm lower “lip” of the Fou firmly against the spot you want to stimulate.
• Use the tip of Fou’s upper “lip” for targeted, pinpoint stimulation right where you want it.
• Rub the tip of the Fou’s upper “lip” up and down and back and forth over sensitive areas (like nipples and clits) for an amazing sensation. (This is my FAVORITE way to use Fou. It slightly mimics the feeling of being licked!)