The slim vibe is food-grade plastic, which makes it pretty safe.
1. Non-porous and phthalates-free
2. Won't attract lint
3. Reasonably durable
4. Doesn't have any odor or taste out of the box. I washed it anyway to be on the safe side
1. Not sterilizable
2. Not curved
Depends on user
1. Not flexible-this could be good or bad, depends on taste
2. Smooth texture-don't need much lube, but not the most stimulating
It's meant to be a straightforward slim vibe, and it does that quite well. There are no curves, grooves, bumps, or ridges. It's definitely designed with a penetration focus, rather than being used for G-spot stimulation. It's not particularly discrete, but the size does make it easy to conceal. It's also firm enough to stand up to travel without snapping or cracking.
Dimensions provided by EF:
Length: 6 1/2"
Insertable length: 5 3/4"
Circumference: 2 1/2"
Weight: 0.3 lb
As compared to a soda can:
The vibe comes with a simple dial-base that can do multi-speed vibrations
1. Vibrations are evenly distributed through the toy, instead of focused in any area
2. It's quite powerful for its small size when turned to max
3. It's discrete enough that you can't hear it through a cheap apartment door
4. Waterproof (tested both in a shower and soaking in a sink for 30 minutes)
1. No variety/patterns to vibration
2. If you tighten it too hard, you could damage the dial base (didn't manage, but based on prior experience with similar dials)
Plastic is great in how well it gets along with other materials. You can use water, oil, and silicone lube without worrying about melting or other issues. You can also store it with other materials, so it doesn't need to be stored separately from your other toys. Plastic can't be sterilized, so it makes sense to throw out the package and instruction manual (you shouldn't regift it).
Cleaning can be done in a few ways. You can use most toy cleaners (check if they're plastic safe), rubbing alcohol, wipes, or antibacterial soap and water. The toy is smooth and texture free, so you don't have to work at cleaning crevices. You can also lay it down where you want to dry (no lint issues).
The package is pretty good at keeping the vibrator intact for shipping, but that's about the only advantage. It doesn't cover what kind of batteries you need (2 AA batteries). The manual is a generic how to put batteries in and relatively obvious safety tips , such as waterproof vibrators are not waterproof if the battery cap is off.