Place To Get Started?

  • Get FREE 5 Gifts with Orders $59+

Place To Get Started?

Envy Envy
I'm debating starting a toy blog on weird/out of the norm sex toys. Only thing is, I've never done blogging before! I was hoping by doing one (and remaining anon about it, too) I could help some places I go to get more customers.

Soooo.... what do you guys recommend for blogging? If it can be customized with headers and colors and things, all the more better. Also, preferably not a website I have to buy, I'm on a budget, lol. And where I can remain anon, no one gets my e-mail (except the site people obviously), etc.
05/15/2010
  • Buy 3 Items for $70
  • Buy 3 Items for $50
  • Buy 3 Items for $30
  • Save 20% on Luxury Toys
  • Add Some Buzz To Your Favourite Toy & Save 60% On Kit
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Miss Cinnamon Miss Cinnamon
Quote:
Originally posted by Envy
I'm debating starting a toy blog on weird/out of the norm sex toys. Only thing is, I've never done blogging before! I was hoping by doing one (and remaining anon about it, too) I could help some places I go to get more ...
I've used Blogger since high school. It's not as fancy as Wordpress, but it's free and you can make your email private so that you get notifications via the site but no one else can see it. Good luck with your blog!
05/15/2010
J's Alley J's Alley
I use blogger, and as long as you know what you're doing it is pretty customizable.
05/15/2010
TitsMcScandal TitsMcScandal
If you are going for free, I'd say blogger as well. It was so nice to work with and just was easier than when I tried the free wordpress
05/15/2010
Sammi Sammi
I also use Blogger - it's not a bad one.
05/15/2010
Envy Envy
Ah okay, thanks guys. I'll be sure to look into it when i have a day off from work. ^^
05/16/2010
Victoria Victoria
Quote:
Originally posted by Envy
Ah okay, thanks guys. I'll be sure to look into it when i have a day off from work. ^^
Make sure you let us know when it's set up! We love seeing how many of our reviewers have blossomed into bloggers after getting comfy here and making friends in the community. Very cool!
05/16/2010
Envy Envy
Quote:
Originally posted by Victoria
Make sure you let us know when it's set up! We love seeing how many of our reviewers have blossomed into bloggers after getting comfy here and making friends in the community. Very cool!
Will do! I still need to pick a name and set it all up. I'm terrible at names though, haha!
05/17/2010
Kyra Saunders Kyra Saunders
Quote:
Originally posted by Envy
I'm debating starting a toy blog on weird/out of the norm sex toys. Only thing is, I've never done blogging before! I was hoping by doing one (and remaining anon about it, too) I could help some places I go to get more ...
I won't use Blogger because I've seen too many cases of someone being locked out of their blog when someone complains - to the point of not being allowed to back up their posts and take them elsewhere. It's made me very leary but, that said, it is free. I'd just be sure to back it up regularly.

Of course I won't use hosted Wordpress (wordpress.com) either, for the same reason.

I self-host WordPress on my own domain and have found it easy to use. It does require a bit to buy the domain and for monthly hosting, though. If you need help with WordPress, let me know.
05/18/2010
Envy Envy
Quote:
Originally posted by Kyra Saunders
I won't use Blogger because I've seen too many cases of someone being locked out of their blog when someone complains - to the point of not being allowed to back up their posts and take them elsewhere. It's made me very leary but, that ...
I'll keep in mind backing up the posts and such. I can't really afford having a domain, so I have to look at my free options, sadly.

What exactly are the complaints that cause people to have their blogs locked? I don't see how one can complain over sex toy reviews unless you're directly attacking a person for the product or such.
05/18/2010
Kyra Saunders Kyra Saunders
Quote:
Originally posted by Envy
I'll keep in mind backing up the posts and such. I can't really afford having a domain, so I have to look at my free options, sadly.

What exactly are the complaints that cause people to have their blogs locked? I don't see how one ...
I personally know three taken down because they were the blogs of erotic romance authors and someone started crying "PORN" but Google (who owns Blogger now) wouldn't disclose who or even the number of complaints, according to the bloggers. They were locked out for weeks for "investigation" and one of them was never allowed to get her blog backed up so she could move it. I believe the other two were able to.

Definitely back up everything, no matter what solution you choose. Murphy loves an optimist! I'm a huge believer in copious and frequent backups.
05/18/2010
Kayla Kayla
Hosted Wordpress allows for a quick, free, and easy back-up option for all of you posts within the click of a button.

I use Wordpress and seriously love it.
05/18/2010
Kyra Saunders Kyra Saunders
Quote:
Originally posted by Kayla
Hosted Wordpress allows for a quick, free, and easy back-up option for all of you posts within the click of a button.

I use Wordpress and seriously love it.
I love my self-hosted WordPress - a lot. I have a plug-in that mails me a backup one all my sites once a week but I also back the entire installation up via FTP as well.

I've been in the software industry too long to leave much of anything to chance.
05/18/2010
Envy Envy
True, true. What makes me wonder is if the people are so against porn... WHY did they agree to the over 18 link and then go looking? People are funny creatures....

Finally picked a name, yay! Just need to work on the template and all.
05/19/2010
Love Buzz Love Buzz
Quote:
Originally posted by Envy
True, true. What makes me wonder is if the people are so against porn... WHY did they agree to the over 18 link and then go looking? People are funny creatures....

Finally picked a name, yay! Just need to work on the template and all.
If you have the over 18 warning switched on you shouldn't find yourself banned. However The warning banner prevents google from indexing your site, loosing you a lot of visitors.

Which is sad as blogger is the easiest to use and customise for free.

You can create a free website with a company such as zymic.com (if that doesn't work try link)
You can choose your own username in the format of yourusername.88k.org and then you can host your own wordpress blog there.

It gives you more options over a wordpress.com hosted website whilst allowing your site to be fully indexed by google.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to contact me
Kady
05/21/2010
Total posts: 15
Unique posters: 9