Horror Movie Favorites

Domineight Domineight
The "Worst Scenes Ever" thread has me reminiscing about my favorite horror flicks.

I've always been a fan of all things spooky but have become a lover of horror movies over the past couple years. I wanted to see what other peoples favorite horror movies are? Favorite types of horror? All-time favorites? Current favorites? Which ones sucked? Which ones really messed with your head? Which ones were so bad the were good? Why?

My current favorites are
-Inside
-The Strangers (seriously that skipping record scene is amazing and makes me feeling like throwing up.)
-Last House on the Left (remake. original sexualized rape far too much for my comfort.)
-The House of the Devil (a recent release in the style of more classic movies)

I just saw Suspiria for the first time the other day and loved it. But that's more classic than current.

As for more classic favorites
-A Nightmare on Elm Street (the remake was not as bad as everyone suggested in my humble opinion.)
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- Sleepaway Camp
-Return of the Living Dead movies

Dont know what the heck the hype was about
- Quarantine
- Human Centipede (I really wanted to like this and just couldn't. Didn't see that ending coming, though.)
- Paranormal Activity
- Almost all "torture porn" (Hostel, Train, Saw)

So bad it's amazing
-Every Leprechaun ever made
-Troll2 (infamously bad. So much so there's a documentary about it)

Its so hard to restrict that post and not ramble forever. Too late? I've love to swap suggestions.
06/15/2010
  • Add More Pleasure to Your Collection! Buy 1 Vibe, Get 1 FREE
  • Better Price Sale - Save 50%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 70%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 60%
  • Better Price - Save 40%
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Sammi Sammi
Hmm. This is a really hard one for me to answer, as I have seen soooo many.
Without doing too much thinking about it, and knowing I'm leaving some out:

Foreign
Audition
Ringu and it's 2 concurrent sequels Rasen and Ringu 2
The Eye
Dark Water
City of the Living Dead
Zombi
Nekromantik
Haut Tension
Dead-Alive (the best Peter Jackson movie EVER)
Dead Snow
The Beyond

Domestic (pre 1980)
Frankenstein (original)
The Blob
Phantasm
The Thing That Could Not Die
Psycho
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Domestic (1980 - present)
Re-Animator
Hellraiser
Evil Dead
The Thing
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Galaxy of Terror
The Midnight Meat Train

Guilty Pleasures
Humanoids from the Deep
Motel Hell
Piranha
Mosquito

So Bad It's Really Bad, but Good
Hell of the Living Dead

Truly Unwatchable
Weasels Rip My Flesh
06/15/2010
Domineight Domineight
Quote:
Originally posted by Sammi
Hmm. This is a really hard one for me to answer, as I have seen soooo many.
Without doing too much thinking about it, and knowing I'm leaving some out:

Foreign
Audition
Ringu and it's 2 concurrent sequels Rasen and Ringu ... More
Just reading your response made me think "HOW DID I NOT REMEMBER SOME OF THOSE!", especially Dead Alive, Re-Animator and Nekromantik. And THE BLOB. How could I forget?!

I saw Dead Snow recently and was really surprised that it didn't rely on being gimmicky to be awesome.

Also...I don't know how I forgot it...Killer Klowns from Outer Space. I sometimes think I'm the only human on earth who loves it that much haha.

I couldn't get into Audition at all. I really tried but couldn't do it.

I also keep hearing super mixed things about Martyrs. Have you seen it? Worth watching if its sitting in my basement?

My summer goals are to watch as many new horror movies as possible and learn how to bake. So far so good!

There's so many good ones. I'm giddy thinking about it haha.
06/15/2010
Sammi Sammi
Quote:
Originally posted by Domineight
Just reading your response made me think "HOW DID I NOT REMEMBER SOME OF THOSE!", especially Dead Alive, Re-Animator and Nekromantik. And THE BLOB. How could I forget?!

I saw Dead Snow recently and was really surprised that it ... More
Oh, yeah, totally forgot about Killer Klowns - that one is great

I haven't seen the Martyrs yet - on my to see list, along with the Human Centipede.

I have a ridiculous collection of horror movies. Our standing joke is that hubby doesn't get dragged to The Notebook or She's Got Mail, he has to go see Texas Chainsaw or Saw
06/15/2010
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by Domineight
Just reading your response made me think "HOW DID I NOT REMEMBER SOME OF THOSE!", especially Dead Alive, Re-Animator and Nekromantik. And THE BLOB. How could I forget?!

I saw Dead Snow recently and was really surprised that it ... More
Killer Klowns From Outer Space has long been one of my favorites, and I definitely had it on VHS, and then got it on DVD when it came out in that format too.

I've got a bunch of favorites, but I don't have the time to sit and think of them right now, so I'll be back, but I just wanted to throw in that Killer Klowns was awesome, and you're not alone, lol
06/15/2010
Envy Envy
I've always been one for the Alien and Predator movies, as well as The Crow, and even Silent Hill despite it not following the games much. Grudge was pretty good, too, Resident Evil movies were ok.... Hell I remember Tremors when I was little, it was pretty cool, gave me nightmares though lol.
06/15/2010
Alan & Michele Alan & Michele
Some of our favorite horror flicks are Phantasm, Jeepers Creepers, and Pumpkin Head.

If you want to see on that's so bad/weird it's more comedy than horror, try Night of the Living Creeps.
06/16/2010
Tori Rebel Tori Rebel
I LOVE the sleepaway camp movies, the original Halloween series, Psycho (except the 3rd one...but the 4th one made up for it), and anything Texas Chainsaw (original, sequels, remakes).

I'm also a big fan of anything Rob Zombie makes. LOVE the Devils Rejects and watch it at least weekly. I was a little disappointed with his Halloween 2 though, but really enjoyed the first one. Plus, he puts his amazingly sexy wife in his movies and I have such a crush on her.
06/16/2010
Gary Gary
The best movie of all time is the Texas Chainsaw Massacre! As for other good ones, there are so many! The above mentioned Martyrs is on my to-watch list. I heard that is really good. Most newer movies have been disappointing, but I really liked the Midnight Meat Train & Let the Right Ones In. Cemetery Man is great! Cannibal Holocaust is great. The first two Poltergeist movies were amazing. As for so bad it is great, has anyone ever seen Street Trash? Also, Prince of Darkness and most John Carpenter movies are great. I am not a Rob Zombie fan.
06/16/2010
Jul!a Jul!a
Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Phantoms, Event Horizon. I really liked the original and the remake of Dawn of the Dead, but the new Day of the Dead was really disappointing I think. I really wanna see Shutter Island, that looked good. Anybody else seen it?
06/16/2010
Tori Rebel Tori Rebel
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Phantoms, Event Horizon. I really liked the original and the remake of Dawn of the Dead, but the new Day of the Dead was really disappointing I think. I really wanna see Shutter Island, that looked good. Anybody else ... More
In my opinion, Shutter Island was 'eh' as far as movies go but it wasn't really scary. All the frightening or creepy parts were shown in the commercials, it ended up being a much different storyline than I expected.
06/16/2010
Gary Gary
Rabid, Scanners, Maniac are also great movies. I am gonna keep thinking of more all day long I bet.
06/16/2010
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by Tori Rebel
In my opinion, Shutter Island was 'eh' as far as movies go but it wasn't really scary. All the frightening or creepy parts were shown in the commercials, it ended up being a much different storyline than I expected.
So then wait until I can see it for free and don't spend the 20 bucks on it at the store? lol
06/16/2010
Tori Rebel Tori Rebel
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
So then wait until I can see it for free and don't spend the 20 bucks on it at the store? lol
Yup, if I could go back and save the money I spent on it in the theaters, I would. We saw it at the drive-in though so it was a fun night.
06/16/2010
Gary Gary
I love seeing movies in the theaters. Although 95% of the movies I have seen in the theater were garbage.
06/16/2010
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by Tori Rebel
Yup, if I could go back and save the money I spent on it in the theaters, I would. We saw it at the drive-in though so it was a fun night.
For me, the experience of seeing it at the drive in would almost make it worth the money, lol
06/16/2010
Tori Rebel Tori Rebel
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
For me, the experience of seeing it at the drive in would almost make it worth the money, lol
It really is fun and it's $8 per person for the double feature as opposed to the 'regular' movies that are over $10 each now. Plus the concession stand is much yummier and easily half the price of the big chain theaters.
06/16/2010
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by Tori Rebel
It really is fun and it's $8 per person for the double feature as opposed to the 'regular' movies that are over $10 each now. Plus the concession stand is much yummier and easily half the price of the big chain theaters.
Every time we tried to go last year, the car we were in would break down, lol. I'm still trying to go this year, but we both work early every morning and just haven't had the time yet.
06/16/2010
Domineight Domineight
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan & Michele
Some of our favorite horror flicks are Phantasm, Jeepers Creepers, and Pumpkin Head.

If you want to see on that's so bad/weird it's more comedy than horror, try Night of the Living Creeps.
Just saw Phantasm the other day and I can't get into it. Really neat soundtrack, though.

Those ball things were pretty badass but its one of those movies where the characters make so many awful choices its painful hah
06/22/2010
Domineight Domineight
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Rabid, Scanners, Maniac are also great movies. I am gonna keep thinking of more all day long I bet.
I think Rabid is sitting in my basement. I'll have to check it out!
06/22/2010
Gary Gary
Quote:
Originally posted by Domineight
Just saw Phantasm the other day and I can't get into it. Really neat soundtrack, though.

Those ball things were pretty badass but its one of those movies where the characters make so many awful choices its painful hah
I agree with it being painful to watch, but I love the Phantasm movies. They make no sense at all!

Anyone remember 'The Gate'?
06/22/2010
El-Jaro El-Jaro
I agree with Sammi on almost all counts, except the ones I haven't seen.

The first Poltergeist scared the hell out of me! It wasn't until last summer that I could actually watch it.

I love the laughing scene from Evil Dead II. That whole series was good. The Grudge and The Ring were both good.

Then there's the line between scary and slasher. I prefer scary to slasher. Anyone can do gore, but the scary is better, in my opinion. I didn't care much for Rob Zombie's first two movies; they were just too messed up and gory, not scary. Event Horizon was a good bridge between the two.

Paranormal Activity and The Blair Witch Project were good takes on the reality movies. They're actually two of my faves too.

I'm a big Romero fan too. The acting almost universally sucks, but the story/background is great.
06/22/2010
Maiden Maiden
I was so excited to see this thread! My man and I are HUGE fans of horror. We love to go to conventions and we watch any horror flick we can get our hands on. I especially love horror movies from the seventies and eighties, but our collection ranges from all decades (as far back as the silent film era)and all types. We even love the really cheesy Troma releases and movies with titles like "Space Zombie Bingo" and "Fertilize the Blaspheming Bombshell". I would be hard pressed to name favorites and it would be too many to count, but as far as nostalgia and what I can watch over and over again...

Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
Halloween
Poltergeist
Night of the Living Dead and most zombie movies in general, especially Romero.
Shaun of the Dead
06/22/2010
Sammi Sammi
Quote:
Originally posted by El-Jaro
I agree with Sammi on almost all counts, except the ones I haven't seen.

The first Poltergeist scared the hell out of me! It wasn't until last summer that I could actually watch it.

I love the laughing scene from Evil Dead II. ... More
I prefer scary to slasher, (although I think the two can overlap), but I'm also a firm believer that copious gore can save almost any horror movie
06/22/2010
El-Jaro El-Jaro
Quote:
Originally posted by Maiden
I was so excited to see this thread! My man and I are HUGE fans of horror. We love to go to conventions and we watch any horror flick we can get our hands on. I especially love horror movies from the seventies and eighties, but our collection ranges ... More
Shawn of the Dead is my fav.

I just found the 4 part series of comics about the movie. If I ever meet Simon Pegg or Nick Frost, I want them to autograph them!
06/22/2010
Maiden Maiden
Quote:
Originally posted by El-Jaro
Shawn of the Dead is my fav.

I just found the 4 part series of comics about the movie. If I ever meet Simon Pegg or Nick Frost, I want them to autograph them!
I would love to meet those guys! I didn't know there were comics!

Of course we own Shaun of the Dead, but if I see it on tv I just HAVE to watch it. It's a sickness...lol
06/23/2010
Maiden Maiden
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary
The best movie of all time is the Texas Chainsaw Massacre! As for other good ones, there are so many! The above mentioned Martyrs is on my to-watch list. I heard that is really good. Most newer movies have been disappointing, but I really liked the ... More
Cemetery Man! AWESOME!
06/23/2010
Maiden Maiden
Quote:
Originally posted by Tori Rebel
Yup, if I could go back and save the money I spent on it in the theaters, I would. We saw it at the drive-in though so it was a fun night.
I miss the drive in! We only have one any where near here, and it's actually in another state. It's worth the 2 and half hour drive, but it has been sooo hot and humid. I haven't been in so long.
06/23/2010
Maiden Maiden
Did any one get to see "Evil Dead: The musical" We were so excited to see it come here. We sat in the "Splatter Zone" and got doused with fake blood even though were wore rain ponchos. It was really great!
06/23/2010
Gary Gary
Quote:
Originally posted by Maiden
Did any one get to see "Evil Dead: The musical" We were so excited to see it come here. We sat in the "Splatter Zone" and got doused with fake blood even though were wore rain ponchos. It was really great!
No, but that sounds AWESOME!
06/23/2010
  • 1
  • 2
Total posts: 53
Unique posters: 13