Eden Gives Back Club Meeting - Monday August 1st @ 7pm

  • Christmas shipping schedule
  • 20% OFF sitewide — Code: ENJOY20

Eden Gives Back Club Meeting - Monday August 1st @ 7pm

Jul!a Jul!a
Ok, now that we've got a few people here, I want to talk to you about doing a school supply drive.

We have two options for how we want to do this. One being that we run it exactly like the clothing drive where you come up with donations on your own, take pictures, and give them to places in your area that are accepting them, then share that with us. I know that not everybody can buy new things to donate, but if you have gently used items at home that aren't going to be used anymore those are always helpful too.

The other option is to try and run a points drive along with this. It's good in theory but it's been rather difficult to find one place that we could donate money to that would help teachers and schools nationwide. I also worry about doing another point drive so close to the last one. I know it's been a while, but I don't want to overwhelm the community.

What are your guys thoughts?
08/01/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by ToyTimeTim
ha, do your worst. I enjoy the challenge.

I caught up on my reviews last weekend, made the mistake of posting them on Sunday. So this latest on I did today. Should get posted during the week. (DR)
Maybe I'll come up with a few just for you stubborn folks as a fun challenge
08/01/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by cherryredhead88
Also sam, I got your email about my request being out of stock. Can I just wait until it comes into stock?
Let me double check on that and get back to you
08/01/2011
Wondermom Wondermom
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
Ok, now that we've got a few people here, I want to talk to you about doing a school supply drive.

We have two options for how we want to do this. One being that we run it exactly like the clothing drive where you come up with donations ...
I like the idea of running it like the clothing drive
08/01/2011
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
Ok, now that we've got a few people here, I want to talk to you about doing a school supply drive.

We have two options for how we want to do this. One being that we run it exactly like the clothing drive where you come up with donations ...
I am not really in a position to buy stuff to donate, so if it can be worked out to use points to donate that would get my vote.
08/01/2011
Ansley Ansley
In my area there is always a designated place to donate notebooks, pencils and such and then volunteers put together bookbags for the kids. Right now, our local grocery stores and other big retailers are offering 1 subject notebooks, pocket folders and pencils for pennies on the dollar. A couple of dollars can buy 20 notebooks.
08/01/2011
cherryredhead88 cherryredhead88
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
Ok, now that we've got a few people here, I want to talk to you about doing a school supply drive.

We have two options for how we want to do this. One being that we run it exactly like the clothing drive where you come up with donations ...
How about box tops? I am not sure how those work but I am always collecting them. Also, the dollar store is a great place to shop for back to school things, and the Meijer's around here usually has super good sales for that stuff.

I am for a point drive but what about splitting the money raised for different areas and having us go shopping like we did for christmas? We could send in receipts/take pictures of receipts for proof of spending.
08/01/2011
Wondermom Wondermom
Quote:
Originally posted by cherryredhead88
How about box tops? I am not sure how those work but I am always collecting them. Also, the dollar store is a great place to shop for back to school things, and the Meijer's around here usually has super good sales for that stuff.

I am ...
box tops and cambells soup labels are great ways to donate without having to spend money you dont have. Some schools fundraise through recycling programs, our local one does paper recycling for fundraising.
08/01/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by cherryredhead88
How about box tops? I am not sure how those work but I am always collecting them. Also, the dollar store is a great place to shop for back to school things, and the Meijer's around here usually has super good sales for that stuff.

I am ...
The box tops could be done like the rest of it, where you could take a picture of the tops you're handing in and tell us what they're going for, etc.

I like the idea of doing it like we did for Christmas, I just worry about getting volunteers last minute.
08/01/2011
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
The box tops could be done like the rest of it, where you could take a picture of the tops you're handing in and tell us what they're going for, etc.

I like the idea of doing it like we did for Christmas, I just worry about getting ...
I would guess there are a few that would be up for it. You may be right though, a lot of folks are busy with summer stuff.
08/01/2011
cherryredhead88 cherryredhead88
Maybe we could start a thread on it, or do some sort of promoting? Not sure where to go with that one, haven't done my marketing classes yet we could do some sort of contest maybe.
08/01/2011
Rayne Millaray Rayne Millaray
I like the idea of the points drive. A lot of people can't afford to buy anything more than what they get for their own children, so this would be a way for them to help out.

But couldn't we sort of do both? I mean, there's no reason people who can can't pick up some extra stuff and donate it themselves, is there?
08/01/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by cherryredhead88
Maybe we could start a thread on it, or do some sort of promoting? Not sure where to go with that one, haven't done my marketing classes yet we could do some sort of contest maybe.
I can start a thread looking for up to 2 volunteers who could send me information on schools in their areas looking for donations and if we can get somebody who can do it, we can run a one week drive for them.
08/01/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by Rayne Millaray
I like the idea of the points drive. A lot of people can't afford to buy anything more than what they get for their own children, so this would be a way for them to help out.

But couldn't we sort of do both? I mean, there's no ...
Nope, I see nothing wrong with it. And we would definitely be able to do both at the same time so people can do either
08/01/2011
Rayne Millaray Rayne Millaray
We could do another tie-in with the EdenCafe giveaway if you start it on a Monday.
08/01/2011
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by Rayne Millaray
I like the idea of the points drive. A lot of people can't afford to buy anything more than what they get for their own children, so this would be a way for them to help out.

But couldn't we sort of do both? I mean, there's no ...
Good idea.
08/01/2011
cherryredhead88 cherryredhead88
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
I can start a thread looking for up to 2 volunteers who could send me information on schools in their areas looking for donations and if we can get somebody who can do it, we can run a one week drive for them.
I can do it easily because I already do this sort of thing regularly, all I would have to do is take pictures of what I am already doing

@ Rayne that is another reason I brought up the dollar store. I also get financial aid for school so I can use that in the bookstore to get things.

This is if no one else can do it, of course I'd like to give others a chance to give as well.

I'm kind of surprised there aren't that many people here, is this a hard time to make? This thread is a lot slower than the parties, lol.
08/01/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by Rayne Millaray
We could do another tie-in with the EdenCafe giveaway if you start it on a Monday.
That would be great!
08/01/2011
Wondermom Wondermom
Quote:
Originally posted by cherryredhead88
I can do it easily because I already do this sort of thing regularly, all I would have to do is take pictures of what I am already doing

@ Rayne that is another reason I brought up the dollar store. I also get financial aid for school so I ...
I am usually more talkative...
08/01/2011
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by cherryredhead88
I can do it easily because I already do this sort of thing regularly, all I would have to do is take pictures of what I am already doing

@ Rayne that is another reason I brought up the dollar store. I also get financial aid for school so I ...
Lots of folks on vacation and doing outdoor activities.
08/01/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by cherryredhead88
I can do it easily because I already do this sort of thing regularly, all I would have to do is take pictures of what I am already doing

@ Rayne that is another reason I brought up the dollar store. I also get financial aid for school so I ...
Great, well email me with all the information you can just like the Christmas families and if nobody else wants to do it then we can get you all set up.

And people don't seem as interested in giving back as they are about partying
08/01/2011
cherryredhead88 cherryredhead88
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
Great, well email me with all the information you can just like the Christmas families and if nobody else wants to do it then we can get you all set up.

And people don't seem as interested in giving back as they are about partying
Alright, I already have a school in mind, I will contact them and get some information as soon as possible.
08/01/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by cherryredhead88
Alright, I already have a school in mind, I will contact them and get some information as soon as possible.
Awesome, I can't wait to hear about it!
08/01/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Ok, so so far we've decided to run both a points drive and a drive to collect supplies and donate individually. Any objections to any of this?
08/01/2011
cherryredhead88 cherryredhead88
So for the rest of it, can we split the donations up into different places and make a sort of photo-journal post?

I have piles of things to donate that have been sitting in my living room; I haven't seen my worker in like 2 weeks Must have been waiting for me to take pictures!
08/01/2011
ToyTimeTim ToyTimeTim
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
Ok, so so far we've decided to run both a points drive and a drive to collect supplies and donate individually. Any objections to any of this?
Not from me. I am always happy to help folks out in need.
08/01/2011
Wondermom Wondermom
Quote:
Originally posted by Jul!a
Ok, so so far we've decided to run both a points drive and a drive to collect supplies and donate individually. Any objections to any of this?
sounds great to me
08/01/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Quote:
Originally posted by cherryredhead88
So for the rest of it, can we split the donations up into different places and make a sort of photo-journal post?

I have piles of things to donate that have been sitting in my living room; I haven't seen my worker in like 2 weeks Must ...
If you have other stuff to donate elsewhere, you can split the donations up among all the places you want to and do it that way as well
08/01/2011
Ansley Ansley
Sounds awesome!
08/01/2011
Jul!a Jul!a
Ok, so we've got this month's project pretty much nailed down. If you think you can pick up a school or other school supply donation center in your area, send me an email (sam@ edenfantasys.com) and let me know. We can run one drive for a few people and split the proceeds.

Does anybody have anything else to bring up?
08/01/2011
Total posts: 81
Unique posters: 10