Questions For Bloggers Who Know...

Xavier7 Xavier7
Hi, I've just got a few questions since I've got a new blog and I'm just starting out.

Just in case, is there any way at all one could ban someone from their blog?

How do I put permanent banners and what not on the sides of my blog? I have a wordpress blog and have researched and researched and can't figure it out. Might it depend on the theme, because I've tried almost every one they have and haven't been able to figure it out.

Thanks in advance.
02/25/2011
  • Buy 1 Vibrator Get 1 FREE
  • Limited offer: Save 25% on Blush Toys
  • Annual Clearance - Save 40%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 50%
  • Better Price Sale - Save 60%
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All promotions
Serenesub Serenesub
Quote:
Originally posted by Xavier7
Hi, I've just got a few questions since I've got a new blog and I'm just starting out.

Just in case, is there any way at all one could ban someone from their blog?

How do I put permanent banners and what not on the sides of ... More
I've been blogging for a little over a year now, but when I started I have no idea what I was doing. I ended up going to a friend of mine for help...a lot.

For the banners and side portions you go to your dashboard and scroll down until you see "appearance" then you hit widgets. For just a regular banner (like ones you can get from different websites) you go down to the "text" option and drag it over to the right side of the page that allows you to add widgets. From there you copy and paste the code for the banner.

For other options just read the descriptions under the tabs. For a blogroll you have to add the "links" tab specifically. And then the blogroll you put together under the links options (back on the far left in the same place you find the appearance,post, etc. tabs) will show up on your page.
02/26/2011
Xavier7 Xavier7
Oh, thank you thank you thank you! That really helps!
02/27/2011
Serenesub Serenesub
Quote:
Originally posted by Xavier7
Oh, thank you thank you thank you! That really helps!
You're welcome, glad I could help.
02/27/2011
Xavier7 Xavier7
Quote:
Originally posted by Serenesub
I've been blogging for a little over a year now, but when I started I have no idea what I was doing. I ended up going to a friend of mine for help...a lot.

For the banners and side portions you go to your dashboard and scroll down until ... More
I don't understand this part.

... "For just a regular banner (like ones you can get from different websites) you go down to the "text" option and drag it over to the right side of the page that allows you to add widgets. From there you copy and paste the code for the banner.

"For other options just read the descriptions under the tabs. For a blogroll you have to add the "links" tab specifically. And then the blogroll you put together under the links options (back on the far left in the same place you find the appearance,post, etc. tabs) will show up on your page."

What is the "text" option?
02/28/2011
Xavier7 Xavier7
I went to the widgets area and of course there are little "buttons" or whatever they're called that I drag from the main page to a sidebar, and there are different sections on the side of my blog to add them onto. There is one called Image, which is the one I have used before to put into my sidebars on my blog, and I have put the URLS in the correct places on this one before, but it never works. I'm sure you know what I mean. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. It's so frustrating.

Goodness, I appreciate your help. You don't know how much, friend. Thank you.
02/28/2011
Serenesub Serenesub
Quote:
Originally posted by Xavier7
I went to the widgets area and of course there are little "buttons" or whatever they're called that I drag from the main page to a sidebar, and there are different sections on the side of my blog to add them onto. There is one called ... More
Okay, I assume you mean that you're trying to put a banner into the picture button box right?
02/28/2011
Serenesub Serenesub
The text option in the list of widgets is just that. It lets you write a little blurb about anything.

My Blog The first box over the the right of the screen that says contact? I made that box using the text option in widgets. If you scroll down far enough you'll see an edenfantasys banner, I also used the text box for that.
02/28/2011
zeebot zeebot
If a blog's public you can't really ban someone (as far as I know), but you could disable anonymous commenting which can keep some creepy people from commenting.
02/28/2011
Serenesub Serenesub
Quote:
Originally posted by zeebot
If a blog's public you can't really ban someone (as far as I know), but you could disable anonymous commenting which can keep some creepy people from commenting.
That's pretty much it. You can set it so comments don't appear without your approval, or that an email address is required, or that they have to be signed into a wordpress account to comment, or you can even blacklist people so they cannot comment but other than locking your blog so only people you invite in can see it there is no way to prevent somebody from seeing it.
02/28/2011
Xavier7 Xavier7
Quote:
Originally posted by Serenesub
Okay, I assume you mean that you're trying to put a banner into the picture button box right?
Yes.
03/01/2011
Xavier7 Xavier7
Quote:
Originally posted by Serenesub
The text option in the list of widgets is just that. It lets you write a little blurb about anything.

My Blog The first box over the the right of the screen that says contact? I made that box using the text option in widgets. If you scroll ... More
Oh, so I'm supposed to use the text box and not the image box. Oh, thank you thank you thank you! I understand now, and it works! YES! I'm sorry I'm so excited. I just don't know how to thank you enough!
03/01/2011
Xavier7 Xavier7
Quote:
Originally posted by Serenesub
That's pretty much it. You can set it so comments don't appear without your approval, or that an email address is required, or that they have to be signed into a wordpress account to comment, or you can even blacklist people so they cannot ... More
Yeah, I delete or unapprove comments that my stalker leaves. I didn't know I could blacklist. I will definitely do that. I think I know where to find it. If I don't, I'll ask. Thank you.
03/01/2011
Total posts: 13
Unique posters: 3